ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC cardiod  (Read 6218 times)

Mal Brown

Re: QSC cardiod
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 04:42:33 PM »

Jeeze I would hope it sounds better than the KSub...  that is no setting the bar very high...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

John Schalk

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 11:56:15 AM »

QSC gives 2 x 1800 watt (peak) as the power spec for the KS212C.  That means that this sub is closer to a 2 x 900 watt RMS speaker with 1/2 of that power being used for rear cancellation.  It is a nice package and I can think of a number of scenarios where having its cardioid capabilities would be very useful, but it obviously isn't going to have the same output as the KW181.  Not knocking this design at all, just doing a little thinking out loud so to speak!

Ken Braziel

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 05:47:52 PM »

Ha, that was my sub, hi Dave!

I have two of them, and one of the new single KS112's - sold off my KSUB's & just use these whenever appropriate now. I still have a bunch of KW181's that I use where appropriate. The KS112 has about the same capabilities as the KSUB, I like that it has feet & pole mounts for both tall and side orientations and looks less hokey/more professional.

I've been doing the manually-created cardioid thing with three KW181's for a couple of years now at one of my regular venues, it works great but I really like the convenience of the "cardioid in a box" KS212C's. Next year I'll be using a pair of them in that venue, at least at the start of the season (I'll switch back to the 181's if the cardioid pair doesn't give enough oomph for our more rockin' bands) - hoping that stacking the pair gives enough oomph for the crowd, they don't want it too hot there anyway. It's all live bands so the 44Hz rolloff point shouldn't be an issue.

Guess I should stray beyond the Lounge more often...

Mal Brown

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 07:31:05 PM »

Ha, that was my sub, hi Dave!

I have two of them, and one of the new single KS112's - sold off my KSUB's & just use these whenever appropriate now. I still have a bunch of KW181's that I use where appropriate. The KS112 has about the same capabilities as the KSUB, I like that it has feet & pole mounts for both tall and side orientations and looks less hokey/more professional.

I've been doing the manually-created cardioid thing with three KW181's for a couple of years now at one of my regular venues, it works great but I really like the convenience of the "cardioid in a box" KS212C's. Next year I'll be using a pair of them in that venue, at least at the start of the season (I'll switch back to the 181's if the cardioid pair doesn't give enough oomph for our more rockin' bands) - hoping that stacking the pair gives enough oomph for the crowd, they don't want it too hot there anyway. It's all live bands so the 44Hz rolloff point shouldn't be an issue.

Guess I should stray beyond the Lounge more often...

Ken, when you do cardiod with 181’s... is the setup 3 in a row, center facing back, polarity reversed and 3 to 6 dB lower in volume ?

I have a tent show coming up where I would like to try that setup.  Glad to hear you’ve done it.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 11:27:04 PM »

Ken, when you do cardiod with 181’s... is the setup 3 in a row, center facing back, polarity reversed and 3 to 6 dB lower in volume ?

I have a tent show coming up where I would like to try that setup.  Glad to hear you’ve done it.

I'm not sure how well a Bessel function would work for cardioid as it's more of a time thing...

With the center reversed, polarity flipped, I'd delay it instead, and keep full power to it.  The desired frequency of greatest cancellation determines the delay time needed.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ken Braziel

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 03:52:53 PM »

3 in a row, center reversed w/polarity reversed and a 3.2ms delay, same volume as the front-facing ones. I use a matrix to drive the rear-facing one, the front ones are on an aux (so assign aux only to the matrix, apply delay on the matrix).

This video basically, but I align the subs by lining up the foot-holes which probably explains the difference in the delay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nafin8gE36w

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 03:52:53 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.