ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A/B LR Setup Reference  (Read 1709 times)

Ben Easler

A/B LR Setup Reference
« on: July 15, 2018, 07:54:41 PM »

Hello all,
I was just reading an article on the sound system redesign for The Lion King musical. They refer to the system being an "A/B left and right," referring to this article, do they mean that each set of speakers are panned L/R? So for example, the 2 speakers stage right are actually panned and the center is panned? Or just that the system is panned in the traditional manner? Here is the article:
https://www.kv2audio.com/news/the-lion-king-on-broadway-celebrates-its-20-year-anniversary-with-a-kv2-audio-upgrade.html
BTW - This is an incredibly natural sounding system if you have had the pleasure of hearing it! A wonderful sounding system and masterfully mixed.

Brad Harris

Re: A/B LR Setup Reference
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 09:31:33 PM »

2 sets of independent L/R speakers ...

It allows you to do several things based on the system design .. one system for Book, the other for Band, or one system for one actor and the other for another so that phasing artifacts are kept to a minimum to keep the quality of the voice intact.

The article references the latter method when it brings up the A/B design.

While mainly a theatre musical application, it has been done in the live end (Red Hot Chilli Peppers did it a number of years ago, separating different instruments/Vocals to each system)

Brad

Ben Easler

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 10:57:17 PM »

2 sets of independent L/R speakers ...

It allows you to do several things based on the system design .. one system for Book, the other for Band, or one system for one actor and the other for another so that phasing artifacts are kept to a minimum to keep the quality of the voice intact.

The article references the latter method when it brings up the A/B design.

While mainly a theatre musical application, it has been done in the live end (Red Hot Chilli Peppers did it a number of years ago, separating different instruments/Vocals to each system)

Brad
Ahh ok that makes more sense now. It didn't click what they meant about phasing but I get it now.. sending opposing actors mics to different systems to avoid phase issues... Smart! So I'm assuming each individual system can actually cover the area then.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 01:53:23 PM »

Ahh ok that makes more sense now. It didn't click what they meant about phasing but I get it now.. sending opposing actors mics to different systems to avoid phase issues... Smart! So I'm assuming each individual system can actually cover the area then.

The Left A&B systems must cover the same area, as the Right A&B must cover identical areas.  How did they deal with front/lip fills and other zone feeds?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ben Easler

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 08:30:42 PM »

The Left A&B systems must cover the same area, as the Right A&B must cover identical areas.  How did they deal with front/lip fills and other zone feeds?
Since I wasn't realizing that was what was happening, I didn't look for it but I sight on the right stage and I know that under the right mains was a set of fills that was doubled up. I'm not sure if all the balcony fills were or not. There are also some speakers pointed back towards the stage likely just used for surround effects. I know they do this to a greater extent on Aladdin which uses a grid system to automatically pan through 14 zones on the stage and then somehow it is triangulated that the whole theater is supposed to get a stereo image. I'd love to see a deep look at the design of that system. Those are two of the best sounding shows I have heard and most of the Broadway shows are obviously pretty much masterfully mixed.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 08:30:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.