ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Small digital mixer  (Read 5409 times)

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
Small digital mixer
« on: July 15, 2018, 04:20:04 PM »

I have finally had it with my XR12 and ready to chuck it! What is a reasonable replacement?

Must have:
1) digital
2) 1-2 rack spaces

Nice to have:
3) some form of knobs for when there is no tablet connection
4) iPhone interface?
5) minimum 4 inputs

What are the options please?
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Small digital mixer
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 04:23:28 PM »

XR18?

But seriously, what's the issue with your XR12? Why do you want to change?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Small digital mixer
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 04:23:33 PM »

I have finally had it with my XR12 and ready to chuck it! What is a reasonable replacement?

Must have:
1) digital
2) 1-2 rack spaces

Nice to have:
4) iPhone interface?
5) minimum 4 inputs

This guy gets overlooked a lot because it’s geared towards speech applications, but it is really a full featured mixer.

https://www.shure.com/americas/products/mixers-dsp/scm820-digital-intellimix-automatic-mixer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 05:38:46 PM »

Must have:
1) digital
2) 1-2 rack spaces

Nice to have:
4) iPhone interface?
5) minimum 4 inputs

Really - why specifically Robert? Is it Wi-FI connectivity that is the problem?

As most folks here know I am a big A & H QU series fan and use my QU PAC for basically all my band shows but I also own the XR18 as my back up and for smaller shows and it is a great little mixer with lots of functionality for the size and price point.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

TomBoisseau

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 07:15:18 PM »

While not "rack mixers" (none the less, pretty small) I really like these:

QSC TouchMix 16: https://www.qsc.com/live-sound/products/touchmix-mixers/touchmix-16/

and the

SKP D-Touch 20: https://www.skpaudio.com/digital_mixer/d_touch_20

I own them both.  Generally I'll use the TouchMix if I don't need to "actively" mix, and use the D-Touch 20 if I need to be able to quickly make changes.  For me that's usually for speech only events where I might have a panel discussion.

Bottom line, NEITHER the TouchMix nor the D-Touch is dependant on needing a phone or tablet for control, but they both have that option if you need it.

Tom

Wes Garland

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 08:29:50 PM »

1-2 rack spaces and physical knobs for mixing?  You must have little tiny fingers.

What's your beef with the XR-12?

TomBoisseau

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 08:49:45 PM »

1-2 rack spaces and physical knobs for mixing?  You must have little tiny fingers.

What's your beef with the XR-12?

I know, I know.  You didn't ask me, but personally I have had a number of occasions where wifi connections will temporarily drop when I most needed it most.  It's been a problem for nearly every digital console I've used at one time or another.  It's comforting to have some sort of "back up" system with physical knob(s) / fader(s).

Tom

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 09:04:35 PM »

I know, I know.  You didn't ask me, but personally I have had a number of occasions where wifi connections will temporarily drop when I most needed it most.  It's been a problem for nearly every digital console I've used at one time or another.  It's comforting to have some sort of "back up" system with physical knob(s) / fader(s).

Tom

I dealt with dropout on nearly every show till I found out about access points instead of routers.  I had someone in the wireless technology field set up my network with a static IP address and its been like night and day..

https://www.engeniustech.com/engenius-products/outdoor-wireless-ap-ens620ext/

This is the piece I got after two Netgear failures.. It's what everyone with an iPad/ Notebook mixer needs..

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 09:08:27 PM »

But there are many of us on this forum - myself included- that get excellent results using wi-fi. It is not necessarily the fault of the XR12 or any particular digital mixer for that matter but could be caused by any combination of the following ( but not limited to):
router/WAP style/type, not selecting network security, Static IP address, not using 5Ghz etc. If you are relying on the internal router of the XR12 then that is your problem right there.
I purchased the QU PAC because I wanted a rack mount mixer but one that I could mix on if necessary ( if WI-FI goes down). Ionically I have NEVER had to use the facia controls to mix after 3 years of very regular use.

modified to correct OP name.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:35:54 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

TomBoisseau

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »

But Tom there are many of us on this forum - myself included- that get excellent results using wi-fi. It is not necessarily the fault of the XR12 or any particular digital mixer for that matter but could be caused by any combination of the following ( but not limited to):
router/WAP style/type, not selecting network security, Static IP address, not using 5Ghz etc. If you are relying on the internal router of the XR12 then that is your problem right there.
I purchased the QU PAC because I wanted a rack mount mixer but one that I could mix on if necessary ( if WI-FI goes down). Ionically I have NEVER had to use the facia controls to mix after 3 years of very regular use.

The QU PAC does look like a nice unit.

Are you saying you've NEVER lost the wifi signal, even briefly, in three years? 

I usaully DO use 5G, a static IP address, and hide the SSID.  If you guys are really experianceing 100% reliablility using wifi, I am impressed, and obvoisly need to learn your "secrets".

I'm not saying drop outs were ever a common or regular thing, but knowing that they did occasionally occur has caused me to avoid using wifi during a show.  I'll gladly use it for set up and testing.  Most of the other guys I know that do sound for a living have told me they take the same philosophy, they will use wifi before the show, but never put themselves in a position where they are dependent on it during the show.

Tom

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.