ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Genie Roof Survives  (Read 6917 times)

John Fruits

Re: Genie Roof Survives
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 08:19:31 AM »

^^^^^^^^^
Yes indeed, preach it brother.

@Steve Cook, just curious, is the rigging class you are taking ETCP certified?  It does make a difference. 
http://etcp.esta.org/
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 02:02:30 PM »

Dropping a roof (any type) removes the ability of the guy wires to do their job. It's much safer to get and keep everyone clear of the roof rather than remove the only thing keeping it in place.

The guys would need to be re-tensioned, for sure.  My reason to lower this structure as far as practical is to get as much load off the fully extended Genie towers as possible.

For a conventional roof structure my understand is it's best to remain trimed above 65% of the tower height and land the PA and any lighting that could become pendulums.

So much depends on how each roof system was designed and if it was built according to that design...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 02:27:59 PM »

So much depends on how each roof system was designed and if it was built according to that design...

Also, so much depends on the specific situation and current conditions.  If you know you have 60MPH winds coming, but are currently in 30MPH winds....I wouldn't want to bring that roof in.   If you know you have 60MPH winds coming in 10 minutes, I don't think that is enough time either.  Every situation is just so very different.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 05:23:49 PM »

What were the guys attached to?  I don't see any barrels.  Are there screw in anchors suitable for this (assuming a proper roof)?

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 06:04:32 PM »

What were the guys attached to?  I don't see any barrels.  Are there screw in anchors suitable for this (assuming a proper roof)?
The guys were probably attached to stakes.
Water barrels can provide ballast weight, but slide easily, especially on wet grass.

Proper anchors are available, but are dependent upon the soil, as can be seen in the range of as much as 14,000 pounds to as little as 750 on the 46" Penetrator.

Be careful where you drop anchor, there is a lot of "buried treasure" hidden beneath the ground...

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 01:38:17 PM »

Also, so much depends on the specific situation and current conditions.  If you know you have 60MPH winds coming, but are currently in 30MPH winds....I wouldn't want to bring that roof in.   If you know you have 60MPH winds coming in 10 minutes, I don't think that is enough time either.  Every situation is just so very different.

Fully agree. Anyone who's had to make the decision to lower or remain at trim knows it's a tough one. The equipment is most vulnerable when the guy wires are not secure. The operator has to weigh the options if there's enough time to lower the roof/land the PA etc before the conditions deteriorate. The outcome would probably be worse if the job cannot be completed. Sometimes it's best to leave everything up at trim and evacuate the stage area.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »

Fully agree. Anyone who's had to make the decision to lower or remain at trim knows it's a tough one. The equipment is most vulnerable when the guy wires are not secure. The operator has to weigh the options if there's enough time to lower the roof/land the PA etc before the conditions deteriorate. The outcome would probably be worse if the job cannot be completed. Sometimes it's best to leave everything up at trim and evacuate the stage area.

Absolutely.  We have specific precautionary wind speeds where we will lower the PA or take other action, but when in doubt, evacuate.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 08:15:45 PM »

I have learned that my major festival gigs as a local system tech this summer will be on stagelines... so a little less worry for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 09:39:30 PM »

I have learned that my major festival gigs as a local system tech this summer will be on stagelines... so a little less worry for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cheap Trick will not perform on them.  There was this ugly incident....

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 09:43:20 PM »

Cheap Trick will not perform on them.  There was this ugly incident....
But if I want them... to want me....?
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 09:43:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 22 queries.