ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: D.I. Box locker- what should I have for live bands?  (Read 7907 times)

Dustin Campbell

D.I. Box locker- what should I have for live bands?
« on: July 13, 2018, 07:45:30 PM »

Been shopping for di’s and kinda need to build up my arsenal - mostly just do bands - but would like to be ready for anything - looking at the radial stuff, I know it’s good just a little steep for me any thoughts ideas welcomed-Brand suggestions, best uses, brands to avoid and common mistakes with DI's- Thank You-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:07:06 PM by Dustin Campbell »
Banning CA,

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: D.I. Box locker- what should I have for live bands?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 08:10:56 PM »

You'll need to cover one or two Keys,  Acoustic guitars, Bass when the amp's onboard DI sucks (often), various electronic devices.

Radial ProD2 - works with stereo keys or as two separate 1/4" inputs.
Radial Stagebug - small, inexpensive (relatively) comes with 1/8 trs input cable for phone or computer.
Countryman type 85 - All around active DI for guitar and bass.

More options:
Radial Pro AV2 - 1/4 , 1/8, RCA inputs
Radial PZ-DI - for acoustic pickups needing hi Z ; (piezo)
Radial JDI - nice passive tone
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 08:40:38 PM »

I'll second every suggestion Dave made and also recommend checking out the Klark Teknik DN100 and DN200 (stereo version). We picked up a few because of the price and they've been pretty great. The XLR input has actually come in handy more than I figured it would.

If you're close with any Music Group dealers near you, you should be able to pick them up for even less than what they sell for online.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 09:07:40 PM »

What's your budget, for how many?

I personally own 6 or 8 Radial J48, 6 Countryman 85, a couple of the Radial Stagebug 3.5mm to XLR boxes, and Radial AV1 (mono summing) and Whirlwind PCDIs.

I've been impressed with the EWI LDB-101 and LDB-202, too.

http://www.audiopile.net/di-boxes

Who has to be happy with your choices, i.e. are you trying meet riders or are you looking for good value over brand name?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 09:25:23 PM »

I'll second every suggestion Dave made and also recommend checking out the Klark Teknik DN100 and DN200 (stereo version). We picked up a few because of the price and they've been pretty great. The XLR input has actually come in handy more than I figured it would.

If you're close with any Music Group dealers near you, you should be able to pick them up for even less than what they sell for online.
How do I hook up with a music group dealer?

Banning CA,

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 09:30:01 PM »

What's your budget, for how many?

I personally own 6 or 8 Radial J48, 6 Countryman 85, a couple of the Radial Stagebug 3.5mm to XLR boxes, and Radial AV1 (mono summing) and Whirlwind PCDIs.

I've been impressed with the EWI LDB-101 and LDB-202, too.

http://www.audiopile.net/di-boxes

Who has to be happy with your choices, i.e. are you trying meet riders or are you looking for good value over brand name?
Looking for value and quality- not looking to meet riders - wish I could get all radial - budget is up in the air, I just don’t want low quality -

Banning CA,

Dustin Campbell

D.I. Box locker- what should I have for live bands?
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 09:34:07 PM »

Also I (think?) active is good for acoustic and passive for electronic stuff - I definitely need a stereo one for a Roland spdx or similar - the audiopile prices look great compared to the radial - are they rugged and reliable? I was also looking at whirlwind - someone also mentioned countryman

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:37:08 PM by Dustin Campbell »
Banning CA,

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 09:36:28 PM »

you find someone like me.   :D  I also rep and stock Radial.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 09:51:59 PM »

Any retailer that sells Midas will have the Klark-Teknik line available.  Music Group is the parent company of K-T, Midas, Behringer, Turbosound....

One of the venues I work uses the EWIs.  So far I have no complaint with them but can't said I've done a critical, A/B/C comparison with the J48 or Type 85; they've been in use a couple of years without failures.  The 85s come out when I get a banjo or guitar with a piezo pickup or a Fender Rhodes piano.  For most acoustic instruments with pickups I like the 85 or J48, ditto keyboards and basses.

The Radial Pro DI is my favorite passive DI.  Great on keyboards, trax playback, etc.  If you just need transformer isolation look at the Ice Cube.  I'm seeing Whirlwind DirectorPlus and Direct2 DIs with touring groups.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 12:55:40 AM »

I bought one stereo Radial which I use for keys and computer inputs at dance events.  Got a used BSS off fleabay which gets used for bass, couple older active ART's when acoustic guitars show up and a couple Rapco passives for whatever else pops up.  Usually covers it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 12:55:40 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.