Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Moving head issues

(1/6) > >>

Magnus Andersson:
Hello there! I'm a total newbie with moving heads and I require aid!  ;D

I just acquired 4x Martin Mac 550 and they operate with 21 or 27 channels, while my lighting controller (Stairville DMX Master 3 - FX) only got 16 DMX channels. Is it still possible to use the Mac 550's or do I need a more advanced controller?

I've connected one of the Martins to my controller with 3-pin DMX cable and assigned it to channel 1, but I can't get it to work. I've tried more or less all buttons and tried to google the reasons why it doesn't work but can't find it. I've managed to get it to spin and tilt but no light.

Is the failures because of the lack of channels (16) on my controller since it's 21- or 27 channel moving heads or is it me not getting something?

Thanks in advance :D

Dave Garoutte:
You will only be able to address the first 16 channels of the Mac.
The fader or On channel is probably at a higher channel number and you can't get there from here.
Download the manual and check which channels do what.

You'll need a high channel count controller board (not very useful for movers) or a system like Luminaire / Ipad / wireless / Enttec (very powerful and easy to use).

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Magnus Andersson on July 12, 2018, 06:18:56 PM ---Hello there! I'm a total newbie with moving heads and I require aid!  ;D

I just acquired 4x Martin Mac 550 and they operate with 21 or 27 channels, while my lighting controller (Stairville DMX Master 3 - FX) only got 16 DMX channels. Is it still possible to use the Mac 550's or do I need a more advanced controller?

I've connected one of the Martins to my controller with 3-pin DMX cable and assigned it to channel 1, but I can't get it to work. I've tried more or less all buttons and tried to google the reasons why it doesn't work but can't find it. I've managed to get it to spin and tilt but no light.

Is the failures because of the lack of channels (16) on my controller since it's 21- or 27 channel moving heads or is it me not getting something?

Thanks in advance :D

--- End quote ---

Are you a newbie to DMX also?  Do you understand that controllers have to have maps of what the channels do to the DMX channel number (Base Fixture Address + offset) in order to control them?

Your fixed function controller has insufficient channels per fixture.

Your post though indicates you don't understand that each fixture assigns a different function to the channels.

Jeff Lelko:

--- Quote from: Magnus Andersson on July 12, 2018, 06:18:56 PM ---Is the failures because of the lack of channels (16) on my controller since it's 21- or 27 channel moving heads or is it me not getting something?

--- End quote ---

Hi Magnus, I suggest you start by reading the manual for both your Mac 550s and your controller if you haven't done so already.  As you'll find out, you do have more than 16 channels at your disposal - they're just spread over multiple "fixtures".  While it can be done, this makes programming a real pain.  I'd strongly suggest buying a more capable control solution.  That said, so long as the fixture is lamp'd on, CH1@12 and CH2@100 should give you light.  Make sure the controller isn't in "Blackout Mode" while you're trying this.  If you can't get past this step there's likely some degree of insurmountable incompatibility between the controller and the fixture.  Good luck! 

Magnus Andersson:

--- Quote from: Dave Garoutte on July 12, 2018, 07:06:28 PM ---You will only be able to address the first 16 channels of the Mac.
The fader or On channel is probably at a higher channel number and you can't get there from here.
Download the manual and check which channels do what.

You'll need a high channel count controller board (not very useful for movers) or a system like Luminaire / Ipad / wireless / Enttec (very powerful and easy to use).

--- End quote ---

Ok then it's as I thought (Not implying I actually know anything haha). Ah so that's why I probably can get it spinning and tilting but not getting light since it's on a higher channel then? I will DL the manual and check channels, already did it once but didn't make a lot out of it see if I can figure it out.

I googled about Luminair+iOS+Enttec, what about the wireless it's not something I need right? I'm thinking about having two moving heads on a small stage for my band and therefore it will be small distances so I can use cables. The Luminair seems nice, I can use it to set chasers and presets etc right and then have it running on auto on a show yes? Can I also connect like a footswitch or something if I want to switch between for example a few different kinds of programs? Like for example strobe etc for solos and maybe slow fades etc for slow songs.

Do you have a Enttec USB interface you'd recommend? Preferably in the lower region costwise but supporting 27-channel moving heads.

Thank you :) :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version