ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving head issues  (Read 6922 times)

Magnus Andersson

Moving head issues
« on: July 12, 2018, 06:18:56 PM »

Hello there! I'm a total newbie with moving heads and I require aid!  ;D

I just acquired 4x Martin Mac 550 and they operate with 21 or 27 channels, while my lighting controller (Stairville DMX Master 3 - FX) only got 16 DMX channels. Is it still possible to use the Mac 550's or do I need a more advanced controller?

I've connected one of the Martins to my controller with 3-pin DMX cable and assigned it to channel 1, but I can't get it to work. I've tried more or less all buttons and tried to google the reasons why it doesn't work but can't find it. I've managed to get it to spin and tilt but no light.

Is the failures because of the lack of channels (16) on my controller since it's 21- or 27 channel moving heads or is it me not getting something?

Thanks in advance :D

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Moving head issues
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 07:06:28 PM »

You will only be able to address the first 16 channels of the Mac.
The fader or On channel is probably at a higher channel number and you can't get there from here.
Download the manual and check which channels do what.

You'll need a high channel count controller board (not very useful for movers) or a system like Luminaire / Ipad / wireless / Enttec (very powerful and easy to use).

Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 08:31:48 PM »

Hello there! I'm a total newbie with moving heads and I require aid!  ;D

I just acquired 4x Martin Mac 550 and they operate with 21 or 27 channels, while my lighting controller (Stairville DMX Master 3 - FX) only got 16 DMX channels. Is it still possible to use the Mac 550's or do I need a more advanced controller?

I've connected one of the Martins to my controller with 3-pin DMX cable and assigned it to channel 1, but I can't get it to work. I've tried more or less all buttons and tried to google the reasons why it doesn't work but can't find it. I've managed to get it to spin and tilt but no light.

Is the failures because of the lack of channels (16) on my controller since it's 21- or 27 channel moving heads or is it me not getting something?

Thanks in advance :D

Are you a newbie to DMX also?  Do you understand that controllers have to have maps of what the channels do to the DMX channel number (Base Fixture Address + offset) in order to control them?

Your fixed function controller has insufficient channels per fixture.

Your post though indicates you don't understand that each fixture assigns a different function to the channels.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 10:00:17 PM »

Hi Magnus, I suggest you start by reading the manual for both your Mac 550s and your controller if you haven't done so already.  As you'll find out, you do have more than 16 channels at your disposal - they're just spread over multiple "fixtures".  While it can be done, this makes programming a real pain.  I'd strongly suggest buying a more capable control solution.  That said, so long as the fixture is lamp'd on, CH1@12 and CH2@100 should give you light.  Make sure the controller isn't in "Blackout Mode" while you're trying this.  If you can't get past this step there's likely some degree of insurmountable incompatibility between the controller and the fixture.  Good luck! 

Magnus Andersson

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 06:20:53 AM »

You will only be able to address the first 16 channels of the Mac.
The fader or On channel is probably at a higher channel number and you can't get there from here.
Download the manual and check which channels do what.

You'll need a high channel count controller board (not very useful for movers) or a system like Luminaire / Ipad / wireless / Enttec (very powerful and easy to use).

Ok then it's as I thought (Not implying I actually know anything haha). Ah so that's why I probably can get it spinning and tilting but not getting light since it's on a higher channel then? I will DL the manual and check channels, already did it once but didn't make a lot out of it see if I can figure it out.

I googled about Luminair+iOS+Enttec, what about the wireless it's not something I need right? I'm thinking about having two moving heads on a small stage for my band and therefore it will be small distances so I can use cables. The Luminair seems nice, I can use it to set chasers and presets etc right and then have it running on auto on a show yes? Can I also connect like a footswitch or something if I want to switch between for example a few different kinds of programs? Like for example strobe etc for solos and maybe slow fades etc for slow songs.

Do you have a Enttec USB interface you'd recommend? Preferably in the lower region costwise but supporting 27-channel moving heads.

Thank you :) :)

Magnus Andersson

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 06:31:14 AM »

Are you a newbie to DMX also?  Do you understand that controllers have to have maps of what the channels do to the DMX channel number (Base Fixture Address + offset) in order to control them?

Your fixed function controller has insufficient channels per fixture.

Your post though indicates you don't understand that each fixture assigns a different function to the channels.

I think I have the most basic knowledge of this but not sure haha. Does it differ between static and moving lights? Because I'm familiar with how to use fixtures etc and program static LED lights and have no problems with it, although I have no clue with moving heads.

Do I understand you correctly if I say that each fixture supports 16 channels whereas the moving head requires either 21- or 27?

I do not understand though what you mean about
Do you understand that controllers have to have maps of what the channels do to the DMX channel number (Base Fixture Address + offset) in order to control them?

For example with static lights if I set the LED lamp to channel 1, then it uses channels 1-16. If I put on fixture 1 I can then control channels 1-16. So fixtures 2 and upwards does nothing to this light. Does it work the same with moving heads? Except I can't use channels 17-21 or 27 since I don't have it on my controller.

Sorry for messy post haha. Thank you for your reply!

Magnus Andersson

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 06:37:43 AM »

Hi Magnus, I suggest you start by reading the manual for both your Mac 550s and your controller if you haven't done so already.  As you'll find out, you do have more than 16 channels at your disposal - they're just spread over multiple "fixtures".  While it can be done, this makes programming a real pain.  I'd strongly suggest buying a more capable control solution.  That said, so long as the fixture is lamp'd on, CH1@12 and CH2@100 should give you light.  Make sure the controller isn't in "Blackout Mode" while you're trying this.  If you can't get past this step there's likely some degree of insurmountable incompatibility between the controller and the fixture.  Good luck!

Yes I've tried that but with insufficient knowledge I don't really know what I'm looking for but your info about the channel values on channel 1 and 2 gave me a clue I think. Because I've kind of randomly tried to pull up the values like I usually do with static lights, but now I know that I need the exact values to open shutter+ dim up to even get light, no wonder I didn't get light when randomly dragging up faders. I will try this and also check the blackout mode.

So if this doesn't work though and it is an incompability issue then maybe I would be better off with the Luminair+iOS+Enttec solution as above post suggested?

Hmm are the channels automatically spread over the fixtures? As in for example if I have it set on 21-channel mode does the last channels from 17-21 continue on fixture number 2 if i have the moving head set to channel 1 out of 512? Or do I need to make a setting to make this work?

Thank you for your reply :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:40:01 AM by Magnus Andersson »

Magnus Andersson

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 07:20:58 AM »

Update, got it all working with my controller, it seems compatible. And I can use a second fixture for the remaining channels from 17-27. Think I've got everything to work. Now I though realize that it will take tons of work to manually set all these programs so might invest in some software instead as suggested. But for now will have to do. :)

Although can't seem to get it to pan continuously, is this something you can do? Can't find the option in the manuals DMX-protocol either but I don't know exactly what to look for.

Thank you for the help guys! /Magnus@Sweden
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:03:50 AM by Magnus Andersson »

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 10:37:08 AM »

Update, got it all working with my controller, it seems compatible. And I can use a second fixture for the remaining channels from 17-27. Think I've got everything to work. Now I though realize that it will take tons of work to manually set all these programs so might invest in some software instead as suggested. But for now will have to do. :)

Although can't seem to get it to pan continuously, is this something you can do? Can't find the option in the manuals DMX-protocol either but I don't know exactly what to look for.

Thank you for the help guys! /Magnus@Sweden

Hi Magnus, Here are some tidbits that may be useful. I'm fairly new to DMX programming myself but this is some of what I've learned so far.
* As this is a non LED fixture there is an option in the fixture menu to turn on the bulb. If that isn't on you will get no light.
* There are 512 channels in a single DMX universe. Each device that you want to control separately requires a unique channel for all of the channels you have it set for in the fixture menu. So, if your fixture is set to 27 channel mode in the fixture menu, fixture 1 will use DMX channels 1-27. Fixture 2 will use channels 28-54. A 7 channel wash light could take up channels 55-61, and so on. They don't have to be in any sort of order, just have a unique range if you want to control them separately. If you wanted them to all do the same thing all the time, you could assign each fixture the same starting address of 1 and they would all get the same commands sent to 1-27. Each of those 512 channels has a parameter range from 0-255. Your manual for each fixture will tell you what each channel does and what the 0-255 setting does for each channel. Example - Channel 6 may be dimmer. Moving that slide up to 255 will be full brightness, moving back towards 0 will gradually dim the light until completely off at 0.
* With your controller, each "fixture" button controls 16 channels. So if you need to control channel 18 for example, you would select Fixture 2 on the controller and then adjust the second slider. If you needed to adjust ch. 38, you would select fixture 3 and move the 6th slider.
*DMX programming is very involved. To make your light pan back & forth, you would first position the light to the far left, set the color, intensity, gobo, etc.. and then record that "step" to a channel. You would then move the light to the far right, make any other changes you might want, then record that step to the same channel. If you playback those two steps and have them repeat, it would move the light back and forth continuously.  Every movement and change requires programming, a lot of the software programs make this easier by having certain patterns built in for you to select and visuals for you to easily change color, gobo, etc... The software programs are generally easier to use. I currently use Chamsys MagicQ on PC (Dongle around $100). It is not easy but it is the same full software that runs all of their consoles, from small PC wings to full $30k stadium consoles so I only need to learn one system no matter how big my shows get. There are others that may be easier to master to do what you need to done, really depends on how much control and how much variety you want in your show.
Good luck!
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Magnus Andersson

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 12:35:25 PM »

Hi Magnus, Here are some tidbits that may be useful. I'm fairly new to DMX programming myself but this is some of what I've learned so far.
* As this is a non LED fixture there is an option in the fixture menu to turn on the bulb. If that isn't on you will get no light.
* There are 512 channels in a single DMX universe. Each device that you want to control separately requires a unique channel for all of the channels you have it set for in the fixture menu. So, if your fixture is set to 27 channel mode in the fixture menu, fixture 1 will use DMX channels 1-27. Fixture 2 will use channels 28-54. A 7 channel wash light could take up channels 55-61, and so on. They don't have to be in any sort of order, just have a unique range if you want to control them separately. If you wanted them to all do the same thing all the time, you could assign each fixture the same starting address of 1 and they would all get the same commands sent to 1-27. Each of those 512 channels has a parameter range from 0-255. Your manual for each fixture will tell you what each channel does and what the 0-255 setting does for each channel. Example - Channel 6 may be dimmer. Moving that slide up to 255 will be full brightness, moving back towards 0 will gradually dim the light until completely off at 0.
* With your controller, each "fixture" button controls 16 channels. So if you need to control channel 18 for example, you would select Fixture 2 on the controller and then adjust the second slider. If you needed to adjust ch. 38, you would select fixture 3 and move the 6th slider.
*DMX programming is very involved. To make your light pan back & forth, you would first position the light to the far left, set the color, intensity, gobo, etc.. and then record that "step" to a channel. You would then move the light to the far right, make any other changes you might want, then record that step to the same channel. If you playback those two steps and have them repeat, it would move the light back and forth continuously.  Every movement and change requires programming, a lot of the software programs make this easier by having certain patterns built in for you to select and visuals for you to easily change color, gobo, etc... The software programs are generally easier to use. I currently use Chamsys MagicQ on PC (Dongle around $100). It is not easy but it is the same full software that runs all of their consoles, from small PC wings to full $30k stadium consoles so I only need to learn one system no matter how big my shows get. There are others that may be easier to master to do what you need to done, really depends on how much control and how much variety you want in your show.
Good luck!

Thank you for your thorough reply! Okay so I'll just set several different programs with tilt to the far left and right every other program. I suppose the same goes for pan then? Feels like there should be a dmx adress for continuous  pan but maybe not. Yes I will probably look into some software, seems easier to use from what I can see on videos than doing it manually. :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 12:35:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.