ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small mixer for rentals  (Read 3090 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Small mixer for rentals
« on: July 12, 2018, 01:40:46 PM »

Need to find a solution for a small mixer for drop-off rentals for non-tech savvy folks. Currently sending out Midas MR-12 for bands but some folks don't have a tablet or aren't smart enough to use. I have a couple of A&H Mix Wizards but they are bulky.

Any suggestions for nice, rugged small format analog mixer or extra simple digital mixer? I know there's tons of cheap stuff out there. Prefer something that isn't trash.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: Small mixer for rentals
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 02:08:49 PM »

How many channels?

I've gotten remarkable life out of my Yamaha MG12FX stock, and I'm about to simplify even more with some of their MG10 units (fewer buttons to misfire with). Yes, both of those have half the number of mic channels the name may imply, but mine are mostly going out for DIY dj rigs for wedding reception-type events.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Mal Brown

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 02:11:13 PM »

I have a couple of Yamaha ‘pancake’ mixers. Like Milt’s.   Lot’s of plastic but so far they have held up well. I also have a Soundcraft gigrac st-1000 in rental that has done yeoman’s service. Seems to be nearly indestructible.  Actually sounds pretty good for a lunch pail.

I kinda watch Craig’s and make opportunistic buys of this sort of stuff...  Rarely pay more than a hun - except for the gigrac which was 300 years ago.  I more or less consider the little MG mixers as disposable...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:13:49 PM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steve Crump

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 02:15:16 PM »

+1 on the Yamahas

Thomas Le

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 03:09:59 PM »

I'll vouch for the A&H ZED series for no frills simple analog. They're rugged and sound great.

The Soundcraft EPM/EFX are kinda wimpy, although they also have a rugged chassis, the knobs are not secure/nutted to the chassis and can easily be pulled out. I know this because I own the EFX8. Also the EQ and preamps are also meh/wimpy.

I don't know about the current Yamaha analog mixer lineup because I was burnt out on the previous generation which was honestly hot garbage; Unusable preamp and EQ, crappy construction, and that proprietary power supply. Yuck.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »

I just did a small bar system with a Soundcraft Signature 12 rather than the EFX. Looked better on paper and I was happy with the result.

That is part of what I love about the Mixwizard boxes, just wish there was a smaller version built as tough. The ZED's feel wimpy in comparison.

I'll vouch for the A&H ZED series for no frills simple analog. They're rugged and sound great.

The Soundcraft EPM/EFX are kinda wimpy, although they also have a rugged chassis, the knobs are not secure/nutted to the chassis and can easily be pulled out. I know this because I own the EFX8. Also the EQ and preamps are also meh/wimpy.

I don't know about the current Yamaha analog mixer lineup because I was burnt out on the previous generation which was honestly hot garbage; Unusable preamp and EQ, crappy construction, and that proprietary power supply. Yuck.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 10:29:23 PM »

My vote would go for Peavey's "PV" series. Metal chassis and available with 2 to 10 XLR channels and RCA's for portable audio. Effects too.

Michael Ardai, N1IST

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 10:56:36 PM »

I still get a lot of mileage out of my Shure m268.  Pretty bulletproof and simple to operate for the "3 mics around a conference room table" crowd...
/mike

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 01:00:27 PM »

I'm going to second the ZEDi series.  I have 3 of the ZEDi10's and really like them for their cost.  The construction is very good and I can fit them into a small video projector bag for a carrying case.  The built-in 4 channel USB interface is also very handy.  The USB interface alone makes it a great laptop to sound system interface without using a pricey DI and fragile 1/8" connection.  Also, NO WALL WART!! THANK YOU A&H!!

Jeff

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 05:21:27 PM »

Another vote for the Yamaha MGs.  I have a 6 channel that has a metal chassis.  Only problem with it is the outboard power supply with the specialty connector.  I also have a 16ch that I use for bar gigs and carry as backup to the Expression.  SKB makes a padded bag that fits it well and it's pretty durable.

I also have a Gigrack that has taken it's share of tumbles and keeps on ticking.  Don't use it much any more.  Used to use it for bar gigs as a mixer for powered speakers and sometimes use the amps for passive monitors.  The FX are decent and the small graphics for main and monitors are handy.  The Yamaha has a bit better channel eq and more sends so I grab whichever fits the bill.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 05:21:27 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.