ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley TH118 Plate Amps vs Rack Amps  (Read 5545 times)

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Danley TH118 Plate Amps vs Rack Amps
« on: July 11, 2018, 11:49:41 PM »

Anyone compared the Speakerpower plate amp against common rack amps for the TH118?
Are they lacking at all? Better? About the same?

Edit: This is for a portable, not install application.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:53:25 AM by Corey Scogin »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Danley TH118 Plate Amps vs Rack Amps
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 11:58:26 PM »

Anyone compared the Speakerpower plate amp against common rack amps for the TH118?
Can you define "common"?  Which settings, especially limiting?  To me, common means Danley (Linea) or Powersoft with Danley settings. 

Years ago the plate amps were weak, I don't know how much they have changed since.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 12:15:31 AM »

Can you define "common"?  Which settings, especially limiting?  To me, common means Danley (Linea) or Powersoft with Danley settings. 

Years ago the plate amps were weak, I don't know how much they have changed since.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I'm looking for a general comparison if anyone has A/B experience with the plate amps vs any rack amp.

1. Sound quality & output
2. Features: Limiting, etc

I am currently using 3 channels of a QSC PLD4.5 to drive each of my TH118s and I've found that the amps run out of gas before hitting the limiters (as expected given the voltage numbers). Potentially, picking up another PLD4.5 for 1 amp/sub or upgrading amps may help eek out that last bit of performance from them. I'm interested to know if the plate amps would be on par, better, or worse than my current setup or other potential options for rack amps.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 07:43:22 AM »

I am "old school" I prefer separate amps.  Especially for installs.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tommy Shannon

• Marketplace
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 08:42:17 AM »

I am "old school" I prefer separate amps.  Especially for installs.

An acquaintance of mine switched to the Danley DNA amps and really likes how well they work with his TH118's. I know that's not the same as the plates, but if the goal is optimized performance and simplicity of operation that may be the way to go.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 09:37:44 AM »

I'm looking for a general comparison if anyone has A/B experience with the plate amps vs any rack amp.

1. Sound quality & output
2. Features: Limiting, etc

I am currently using 3 channels of a QSC PLD4.5 to drive each of my TH118s and I've found that the amps run out of gas before hitting the limiters (as expected given the voltage numbers). Potentially, picking up another PLD4.5 for 1 amp/sub or upgrading amps may help eek out that last bit of performance from them. I'm interested to know if the plate amps would be on par, better, or worse than my current setup or other potential options for rack amps.

This is just one man’s opinion but I prefer separate.  We have some install boxes with the speakerpower plate amps - and while they work fine, We have had one issue with a palate amp (out of the dozen or so across various venues) in 6 years.  Removing the plate amp in the air to send it off for service was a pain, and more so, we couldn’t just drop another amp in there, had to wait for the repair.  With separate - at the very least we can throw _something_ on the speaker to muddle through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 10:48:29 AM »

This may not be apples-to-apples... but...

We have several JTR C212Pro subs that use the Speakerpower plate amps. As far as sound quality, they're great. Nothing to complain about. Plenty of power for the application as well - they hit hard and keep hitting hard no matter how much we push them.

Features? Hmm. Most of the controls are handled via DSP that is programmed by the speaker manufacturer. On the back of the amp plate, you'll find fairly minimal controls: gain, LF Adjust (to boost/reduce a fixed frequency range), delay (up to 20ms), and crossover (up to 120Hz). And that's about it. But that's the beauty of powered gear - less things for us to worry about.

The C212Pro plate amp is 1400 watts; it draws around 3-amps under load. Not sure how that compares to the TH118. I will say I've been impressed with the Speakerpower plate amps - they seem to work really well with the C212Pros.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 11:28:17 AM »

Out of curiosity, may i ask what rms and peak settings you're using with the PLD 4.5 & TH-118 ?

I've never tried 3 channel parallel, ABC, for a sub,
but i have tried 4 channel parallel, AB+CD, on an orbitshifter and on a DIY double 18" plenum loaded.

That 4 ch mode worked great on both of those subs......(both 4 ohm)
how does it work for the TH-118?

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 07:04:16 PM »

Out of curiosity, may i ask what rms and peak settings you're using with the PLD 4.5 & TH-118 ?
That 4 ch mode worked great on both of those subs......(both 4 ohm)
how does it work for the TH-118?

I'm using 71V for RMS and 101 for Peak (corresponding to the "program" capability of the sub and 3 ohm min impedance, for safety)
According to the power chart, the PLD4.5 in ABC config is only capable of 98V at 4ohm (2400W).

At an outdoor event recently, I got to a point where more fader wasn't corresponding to more sound and the limiters weren't engaging - RMS or Peak. There's a good chance that I won't gain much of anything with a larger amp or an extra PLD in ABCD mode but having the extra capability and letting the voltage peak limiter do its job I suspect will sound better than the amp hitting its max voltage.

My setup on the PLD4.5 of ABC channel config for a TH118 and D for an SM80 works quite well. I've never needed more indoors. More often, I'm not even close to the maximum capability of the system. This recent outdoor gig just got me considering options. I've worked outdoor gigs before and been happy. This one was just larger and in an amphitheater that, oddly, got thin quickly toward the back.

Also what got me thinking about this is there are some TH118 plate amps on Ebay I'm considering. (though not at the asking price btw. I know how much they are new). Not sure if the seller is on the psw forums.

Rick Powell

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 07:19:31 PM »

I'm using 71V for RMS and 101 for Peak (corresponding to the "program" capability of the sub and 3 ohm min impedance, for safety)
According to the power chart, the PLD4.5 in ABC config is only capable of 98V at 4ohm (2400W).

At an outdoor event recently, I got to a point where more fader wasn't corresponding to more sound and the limiters weren't engaging - RMS or Peak. There's a good chance that I won't gain much of anything with a larger amp or an extra PLD in ABCD mode but having the extra capability and letting the voltage peak limiter do its job I suspect will sound better than the amp hitting its max voltage.

My setup on the PLD4.5 of ABC channel config for a TH118 and D for an SM80 works quite well. I've never needed more indoors. More often, I'm not even close to the maximum capability of the system. This recent outdoor gig just got me considering options. I've worked outdoor gigs before and been happy. This one was just larger and in an amphitheater that, oddly, got thin quickly toward the back.

Also what got me thinking about this is there are some TH118 plate amps on Ebay I'm considering. (though not at the asking price btw. I know how much they are new). Not sure if the seller is on the psw forums.
The plate amps on eBay are set with the correct DSP for a TH118. AFAIK the tweakable SP modules are only available to OEMs and you need the right software to set them. I’m sure their consumer model will “work” but not as well. You could get a new one thru Danley.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:22:18 PM by Rick Powell »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 07:19:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.