ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody in the PNW?  (Read 1857 times)

Lou Kohley

Anybody in the PNW?
« on: July 10, 2018, 04:18:28 PM »

Greetings all.

I've been a huge fan of this forum and learned a lot about running a small business and pro audio in general. So thanks.

I just got out of the military band after 12 years and have relocated to Olympia WA. I'm curious who is out here. I'm hoping to connect with other members that we might both support each other. Or at the very least have some audio friends in the area. I'm on the fence about starting up my own thing again. I don't want to step on any toes and frankly doubt I could. My main thing is I love the work and would like to find some folks in the area that do too.

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

LOU

Dan Mortensen

Re: Anybody in the PNW?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 04:46:03 PM »

Greetings all.

I've been a huge fan of this forum and learned a lot about running a small business and pro audio in general. So thanks.

I just got out of the military band after 12 years and have relocated to Olympia WA. I'm curious who is out here. I'm hoping to connect with other members that we might both support each other. Or at the very least have some audio friends in the area. I'm on the fence about starting up my own thing again. I don't want to step on any toes and frankly doubt I could. My main thing is I love the work and would like to find some folks in the area that do too.

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

LOU

Yes, I am assured there are people in the PNW.   ;)

There are no associations specifically for live sound people that I am aware of, but there is a PNW AES Section which generally meets around Seattle. There's a guy who regularly comes to meetings from Centralia, so Olympia would be about halfway for him.

Pacific Northwest Section of the Audio Engineering Society

July and August are off, but we'll start again in September.

Lou Kohley

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »

Thanks. I’ll definitely attend the next meeting. The AES might help me find a masters program as well. I have a GI bill I don’t know what to do with just yet.

LOU

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 12:42:16 PM »

What are you looking to do?

-Ray "lives, works, and owns gear and does shows here in the PNW" Aberle
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Lou Kohley

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 05:17:34 PM »

What are you looking to do?

-Ray "lives, works, and owns gear and does shows here in the PNW" Aberle

Hi Ray.
I'm sorry for being unclear. I'm certainly looking for employment. I was doing concert and corporate audio mostly around San Jose. I also had a small production company providing PA and some lights for bands.

I suppose this is more of a lay of the land inquiry.

I'm also looking to plug in to who ever is around to support their efforts and hope they could help me grow both as a business and as an engineer. I don't have the inventory to try and compete with anyone and I don't want to compete. I'd like to offer support and supplement others. I'm not looking to get rich, just keep making a living in audio. "A rising tide lifts all boats" approach has worked for me so far. The business was about 50% of what I was doing along with freelance for other companies and bands.

I do have a Danley SM80/TH118 setup along with other pro gear. It has been in steady deployment. In fact it's still covering some gigs back home.

I'm also getting into speaker design and it's a whole new world for me to learn about.

That's where I'm at right now. I appreciate any insight to how the market is (offline of course) and any connects to other production folks that love the job and the process.

LOU

Steve Garris

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 02:53:45 PM »

Hi Ray.
I'm sorry for being unclear. I'm certainly looking for employment. I was doing concert and corporate audio mostly around San Jose. I also had a small production company providing PA and some lights for bands.

I suppose this is more of a lay of the land inquiry.

I'm also looking to plug in to who ever is around to support their efforts and hope they could help me grow both as a business and as an engineer. I don't have the inventory to try and compete with anyone and I don't want to compete. I'd like to offer support and supplement others. I'm not looking to get rich, just keep making a living in audio. "A rising tide lifts all boats" approach has worked for me so far. The business was about 50% of what I was doing along with freelance for other companies and bands.

I do have a Danley SM80/TH118 setup along with other pro gear. It has been in steady deployment. In fact it's still covering some gigs back home.

I'm also getting into speaker design and it's a whole new world for me to learn about.

That's where I'm at right now. I appreciate any insight to how the market is (offline of course) and any connects to other production folks that love the job and the process.

LOU

Hi Lou & welcome to the PNW. I'm a minivan small-time operator on the eastside - Bellevue Kirkland area. I'm mostly a one-man operation and I mix a couple of local venues as well. I don't know how the scene is in Olympia but the eastside has plenty of work to keep me busy every summer. I mix the house at The Lime in Kirkland and I mostly do the "tribute" bands that roll through there. I'm pretty cheap, doing shows for as little as $300, so I doubt we would ever compete. I have a PRX system that gets used a bunch (300 people or less), and my SRX powered system which I use for the Kirkland Summer in the Park series. You caught my attention mentioning that Danley rig, which I would love to hear some day. Good luck finding gigs!

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 04:46:42 PM »

You caught my attention mentioning that Danley rig, which I would love to hear some day. Good luck finding gigs!

Same here. If you ever fire that rig up in the Portland/Vancouver area (or anywhere south of Centralia for that matter) shoot me a PM ;)

Personally I'm one of the loungiest of the lounge guys in the forum, but would still like to meet you and hear that Danley system :)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 05:02:42 PM »

Same here. If you ever fire that rig up in the Portland/Vancouver area (or anywhere south of Centralia for that matter) shoot me a PM ;)

Personally I'm one of the loungiest of the lounge guys in the forum, but would still like to meet you and hear that Danley system :)
Are you in Portland?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Lou Kohley

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 05:54:40 PM »

I'll let you all know when I actually get that rig up here. I keep getting shows at this other venue so it has been tied up. I'd be happy to bring it around for fun as I just love the way it sounds and how easy it is to deploy.

PM me contacts and we can exchange email addresses. I'll also be in Bothell on the 21st at a brewfest gig if anyone wants to say hi.

Thanks for the welcomes.

LOU

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 08:02:14 PM »

Are you in Portland?

-Ray

An hour east in the Gorge - close to The Dalles. And Lou thanks for the offer :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 08:02:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.