Church and H.O.W. Ė Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Acoustic Plaster instead of Acoustic Panels

(1/6) > >>

Edward Petruescu:
Does anyone have any experience with acoustic plaster? My church is in the process of constructing a new building and I want to come up with ideas about how to deaden in reverb. My fellow church members have a prejudice about acoustic panels since it looks "ugly" so I was looking into a system that would work instead. There is two type that I have seen on the internet, 1) for the ceiling, it gets a layer of mineral fiberboard that is then plastered over 2) a plaster mix with fiberglass that is sprayed on all surfaces up to an inch and a half thick. The first option is supposed to absorb like 90% of sound while the second 80%.<<something like that.

Tom Burgess:

--- Quote from: Edward Petruescu on July 10, 2018, 03:01:00 pm ---Does anyone have any experience with acoustic plaster? My church is in the process of constructing a new building and I want to come up with ideas about how to deaden in reverb. My fellow church members have a prejudice about acoustic panels since it looks "ugly" so I was looking into a system that would work instead. There is two type that I have seen on the internet, 1) for the ceiling, it gets a layer of mineral fiberboard that is then plastered over 2) a plaster mix with fiberglass that is sprayed on all surfaces up to an inch and a half thick. The first option is supposed to absorb like 90% of sound while the second 80%.<<something like that.

--- End quote ---
At what frequency?  Do these products have a lab-verified NRC?

David Allred:

--- Quote from: Edward Petruescu on July 10, 2018, 03:01:00 pm ---Does anyone have any experience with acoustic plaster? My church is in the process of constructing a new building and I want to come up with ideas about how to deaden in reverb. My fellow church members have a prejudice about acoustic panels since it looks "ugly" so I was looking into a system that would work instead. There is two type that I have seen on the internet, 1) for the ceiling, it gets a layer of mineral fiberboard that is then plastered over 2) a plaster mix with fiberglass that is sprayed on all surfaces up to an inch and a half thick. The first option is supposed to absorb like 90% of sound while the second 80%.<<something like that.

--- End quote ---

So then you have to install reflective panels to liven the room?

Keith Broughton:
As Tom mentioned, at what frequency?
You need to know how much sound is absorbed or reflected at various frequency bands.
Here is some info I found...
https://www.baswana.com/technical-data

Erik Jerde:
You should contract an acoustician to work with the architect to get the acoustic design of the space done properly.  Itís important to hire someone who understands the style of worship youíre doing (classical vs contemporary vs modern vs ultra modern etc).  They can work with you on helping to choose the right treatments and building materials/methods.  They will also be a big help in bringing people along on the acoustic panel issue.  They arenít all big and ugly.

Honestly, if you donít get the acoustics of the room right in the design phase then youíre just burning money and being terrible stewards by building anything.  Itís many times easier (and cheaper) to fix an acoustic problem before the structure is built.  Be good stewards and hire an expert to help you get it right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version