ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tongue scales  (Read 3998 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Tongue scales
« on: July 09, 2018, 03:15:00 PM »

Anyone using a trailer tongue scale?  More specifically, one from Sherline?

I'm about to get one (2000 lb rating - don't need that much, but would rather have something more robust than something that is close to what I need).

Wanted to find about other's options on what you are using (or have used).

John Fruits

Re: Tongue scales
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 03:29:24 PM »

Well dang, I thought this was going to be about ululation and throat singers.   ;)
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 05:01:38 PM »

Well dang, I thought this was going to be about ululation and throat singers.   ;)
LOL

Sorry!  I should have been more descriptive in the subject line.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 06:11:49 PM »

Or an unfortunate medical condition...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 07:38:23 PM »

Cheaper to drive the rig to a Cat scales and weigh it attached and separated from the tow vehicle.

Put the TV on one scale and the trailer on the next with the hitch ball right on the joint.

First weight (attached) includes tongue on truck.
Then detach trailer and get second weight.

Truck difference is tongue weight.

Benefit is you see how close to max you are on both truck & trailer. I do it each time I change the loading substantially.

Cost is less than $15.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 06:52:41 AM »

Cheaper to drive the rig to a Cat scales and weigh it attached and separated from the tow vehicle.

Put the TV on one scale and the trailer on the next with the hitch ball right on the joint.

First weight (attached) includes tongue on truck.
Then detach trailer and get second weight.

Truck difference is tongue weight.

Benefit is you see how close to max you are on both truck & trailer. I do it each time I change the loading substantially.

Cost is less than $15.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I considered this, but any scales would be miles away.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 12:45:54 PM »

Wanted to find about other's options on what you are using (or have used).
Bob,

I used to live 30 miles from the nearest scales, and never had even thought (or heard) of a tongue scale  :-[.
To determine tongue weight, I've used a length of square tube as a lever, putting one end on a jack stand, the other end on a jack stand on a 2"x12" "foot" cut to the size of a bathroom scale, the trailer tongue in the middle of the square tube. The 2x12" is needed to spread the weight evenly across the scale. The weight of the jack stand, tube and "foot" are noted before the tongue is lowered, and added to the weight.
Center loading leverage action reduces the weight by half, so a 300 lb scale could take (almost) a 600 lb tongue weight. For heavier tongue weight, the trailer tongue could be placed for a larger (3/1, 4/1 etc) reduction.

If you don't have all the hardware laying around, a tongue scale looks pretty nice ;^).

Art

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 12:48:14 PM »

I have a Sherline 2000 pounder I got from etrailer. Iirc it was about $150.00. It does come in handy and much better than having to drive to a scale and disconnect and pay money and shift the load and drive back and pay money to the scale guy etc. It is simple and very easy and fast to use. It fits on the palm of your hand. The tongue on my 32 footer weighs 1200 pounds empty. My head weighs 9 pounds and is also empty. pictures of my 2 trucks and trailers.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 12:52:23 PM »

Cat scales can be found at most truck stops. I walked across one got scratched and couldnt speak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kynMpu8nXAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUZNGRt4Zpw

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 01:53:50 PM »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 01:53:50 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.