ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IEM Mixing with Onstage Mixer  (Read 1465 times)

Blake Scopino

IEM Mixing with Onstage Mixer
« on: July 09, 2018, 01:19:38 PM »

Hi Everyone!

I have a Mackie 1202 VLZ mixer that I want to use onstage with my band to control our IEM mixes. Specifically I want to feed a transmitter(s) for wireless in-ears as well as send the mixer mains out to the FOH mixer. That way I could control my own monitoring right after the source and not rely on getting a feed from FOH. What’s the best way this could work?

My Mackie board has 2 XLR Mains Outs (L&R), 2 1/4” Main Outs (L&R), 2 Aux Send 1/4” Outputs, and each channel has an individual direct out.

At the very minimum, I would be working with 1 wireless lead vocal mic, 1 bg vocal mic and a direct out from my guitar amp (I don’t necessarily need to send the amp to FOH; I just need it for monitors).

The lead vocal wireless mic system is a Sennheiser XS. The Wireless IEMs would be either Senn EW 300 G3 or Audio Technica M2.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be highly appreciated!

Thank you and take care!
Blake

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 01:31:59 PM »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
Re: IEM Mixing with Onstage Mixer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 11:56:36 PM »

It sounds like you don't just want to use your mixer for IEM's, you also want to use it for the FOH mix. I'm not saying that won't work, but it probably won't work very well, for a lot of reasons. That's called mixing from stage, and while it's not a new concept, it usually doesn't sound very good.

A band mixing their own monitors on stage is very common though, and can work well. The typical way to do it is with a splitter snake. A simple splitter is basically a multi-channel Y-cable, better ones have ground lifts and maybe transformers. Get yourself a basic splitter, or maybe just a bunch of Y-cables if you want to do it on the cheap, and use your little mixer for your monitors. Plug one output of the splitter into the inputs of your mixer and the other output of the splitter into the FOH snake and let the sound guy do his job.

You could use the main output from your board to mix FOH if the place doesn't have a sound guy, or you don't have a better option for some reason, but giving FOH a split will almost always give you the best results.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 02:06:58 AM »

Hi Everyone!

I have a Mackie 1202 VLZ mixer that I want to use onstage with my band to control our IEM mixes. Specifically I want to feed a transmitter(s) for wireless in-ears as well as send the mixer mains out to the FOH mixer. That way I could control my own monitoring right after the source and not rely on getting a feed from FOH. What’s the best way this could work?

My Mackie board has 2 XLR Mains Outs (L&R), 2 1/4” Main Outs (L&R), 2 Aux Send 1/4” Outputs, and each channel has an individual direct out.

At the very minimum, I would be working with 1 wireless lead vocal mic, 1 bg vocal mic and a direct out from my guitar amp (I don’t necessarily need to send the amp to FOH; I just need it for monitors).

The lead vocal wireless mic system is a Sennheiser XS. The Wireless IEMs would be either Senn EW 300 G3 or Audio Technica M2.

Thank you and take care!
Blake

The very first post in this forum, "sticky" at the top is about IEMs and FOH.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,162175.0.html
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 02:06:58 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.