ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you getting suspicious responses to market place WTB or sale ads ?  (Read 1809 times)

Mal Brown

I’ve had 2 in the past week where my BS meter pegged...

1 was Payment methodology on a wtb.  Guy wanted me to use Walmart money transfer... 0 buyer protection and the Wally World site more or less says at your own risk, don’t use with someone you don’t know...  attractive price on a PLX 3102

The other was similar but USPS money order...

Both arrived in email and neither was a member hear from what I can tell...

Maybe I’m being paranoid or overly cautious...  but it seems like our marketplace has been discovered...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

1 was Payment methodology on a wtb.  Guy wanted me to use Walmart money transfer... 0 buyer protection and the Wally World site more or less says at your own risk, don’t use with someone you don’t know...  attractive price on a PLX 3102

Maybe I’m being paranoid or overly cautious...  but it seems like our marketplace has been discovered...

You do not need to be a member to read these forums, nor to express interest in a Marketplace posting. Any online sale where you do not know the person or the reputation of an entity on the other side of the transaction should be approached with caution. There are thousands more people who read these forums as guests than there are members who actively participate.

Mac

Mal Brown

Sage advice no doubt about that. 
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Dennis Wiggins

From the "Chardonnay Confessional"-

Yes, a Marketplace respondent (Fall, 2017). I wish my meter had pegged; I got sloppy ...Walmart money transfer... Don't do it!

The "recipient" was at a Wisconsin mailing address, but the person who lived there knew nothing of the person's name I sent it to ... $75 stupid, I was. Pissed it away. :-[

...buyer transfer account verification protection + Wally World = ZERO.

Be suspicious, be very suspicious,  (at minimum) of people that you have not gotten the phone number from, and have called them back on and spoken personally with.

(self-flogging motycon) Stupid me - Stupid me - Stupid me!

-Dennis
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 10:37:35 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Dan Mortensen

From the "Chardonnay Confessional"-

Yes, a Marketplace respondent (Fall, 2017). I wish my meter had pegged; I got sloppy ...Walmart money transfer... Don't do it!

The "recipient" was at a Wisconsin mailing address, but the person who lived there knew nothing of the person's name I sent it to ... $75 stupid, I was. Pissed it away. :-[

...buyer transfer account verification protection + Wally World = ZERO.

Be suspicious, be very suspicious,  (at minimum) of people that you have not gotten the phone number from, and have called them back on and spoken personally with.

(self-flogging motycon) Stupid me - Stupid me - Stupid me!

-Dennis

Perhaps looking at that $75 a little differently will help your state of mind:

-it's your tuition in the school of hard knocks; now you know not to do that again, and it was only $75 to learn a lesson that could save you thousands;

-it wasn't thousands;

-it's only money that's gone, and you didn't have to get beaten, stabbed, or shot in the process.

Probably easier to say than to feel, but still. Feeling bad now won't get your money back, and will only leave you feeling bad.

And you've shared the lesson with us so we can learn. Thanks for that!

David Allred

Perhaps after finding out where they claim to be you should announce that you a somewhat  local and will meet them for cash exchange and offer a bonus for that be benefit. 

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC

Everything's a scam, until proven otherwise.

Everything I list is cash only, local-pickup; though, I have worked with some Lab members in the past.

Scam emails:  (site lists many scam email addresses from the big domains - yahoo is referenced in the below link)
https://www.fraudswatch.com/scammer-email-addresses-yahoo-com-d/

From some scams, they send some type of link - hover over the link and if an IP address shows, check that IP here:
https://www.maxmind.com/en/high-risk-ip-sample-list

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina

I have a huge comfort level with the regular contributors to this forum and would happily consider selling to those members (as I have done) or selling locally - cash only. I've been lucky so far and hate that others have suffered financial loss by trusting low lifes. It really annoys me.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions

So far, I've only been robbed of time.

Had a zero poster ask me to get shipping quotes for the big subs I'd posted (as "local pickup only").  Chased down two quotes, PM'd the guy and have never heard back (nor have I seen evidence of his presence).  I guess one possible moral of the story is to get multiple contact methods before getting too deep.

On the bright side, I have enjoyed flawless transactions with established members of this forum (and you know who you are  ;) ).

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Are you getting suspicious responses to market place WTB or sale ads ?
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 01:05:41 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.