ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered 12" Mains  (Read 8721 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Powered 12" Mains
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 07:17:58 PM »

Used to use MP415s a wedges and a few times as mains in small rooms.  Went though 3 compression driver diaphragm replacements.  Let the guy that owned them keep them at home and brought other stuff.
At the time they came out they didn't have the typical JBL icepick in the forehead sound and had a fair amount of bottom for speakers on sticks.  You could mic the kick in a small bar though them.  But the HF is really a weak point and these days there are much better options.
I've downsized from what I had and a pair of DSR112s over subs is plenty for anything I do now.  4 of the M-Pros would be able to keep up or have the clarity of one pair of DSRs as well.  Will be doing an outdoor trailer stage tomorrow with the DSRs and they won't even break a sweat.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 07:43:54 PM »

You want mains with a larger Comp driver, coming from the SR series I bet that is what you are missing. The Yamaha DSR has the largest comp of all the offereings in that price bracket, I think that along with some excellent processing delivers the results they known for around here. Other options that may best that performance would be the SRX8XX powered poxes or maybe the RCF 7XX series both of which have 2" exit comps.

Unless I missed something in the other offering's line up RCF is the only one that has truly large format compression driver models in a molded plastic powered speaker as in a 1.4 exit with a 3 inch diaphragm and 2 inch exit with a 4 inch diaphragm.

Disclaimer time....I am set up direct with RCF.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 07:47:12 PM »

DSR's all day long......
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jay Marr

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2018, 10:23:10 AM »

Another vote for DSRs.  Or wait to see if the new DZR range brings something even better.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 03:22:40 AM »

I’m waiting for the Yamaha DZR12’s to hit the stores in a couple of months. Yamaha say these are a step up from the DSR’s.
The DSR112’s are highly regarded along with the cheaper DXR12’s.
Another option worth checking out is the RCF NX32a

https://www.rcf.it/products/product-detail/-/journal_content/56_INSTANCE_2MT9qNpeXdu4/20195/291501

This has a 3” compression driver which allows for a lower crossover point between the woofer and compression driver. Apparently this allows for more clarity in the vocal range.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 05:21:39 AM »

Unless I missed something in the other offering's line up RCF is the only one that has truly large format compression driver models in a molded plastic powered speaker as in a 1.4 exit with a 3 inch diaphragm and 2 inch exit with a 4 inch diaphragm.

Disclaimer time....I am set up direct with RCF.

Their sister company ? has the Ingenia line,  http://www.dbtechnologies.com/en/products/ingenia.aspx   3 inch voice coil horn driver with 1.4 exit horns in the IG4T and IG3T speakers.  I just picked up the IG4T's. Sound very good and only 40lbs.

Douglas R. Allen

Scott Bolt

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2018, 09:42:22 AM »

The DSR112 will tap dance all over an equivalent JPRO box.  I have never tried a 2:1 test, but I wonder if even 2 mPro's would do the trick.  I am certain that the clarity of the HF would not be there even with 2 boxes.

FWIW, I have yet to find a venue indoors where a pair of DSR112's over 4 PRX XLF's can't handle, and I rarely need more than 2 subs and run my DSR112's at "half throttle" to get the job done.

If you get a chance, go give the DSR112 a listen somewhere.  Use subs with them though.  They aren't designed to do much LF below 80Hz IME.  For tops over subs, they are really hard to beat.

The SRX 812p is also a very good top.

jesseweiss

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2018, 11:25:38 AM »

Are the SRX worth the price difference over the DSR?

I'm looking at upgrading and was thinking SRX over PRX (can't afford SRX subs) or DSR over DXS.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2018, 11:48:26 AM »

I'm looking at upgrading and was thinking SRX over PRX (can't afford SRX subs) or DSR over DXS.

I own all 3 (not DXS).....and I have answered this question a few times and said the same thing each time..... When it comes down to SRX and DSR sound quality, I do not believe the extra $ is necessarily worth paying but it depends on whether you want the following SRX conveniences.... side handles, tilt angle top hats, digital DSP and wireless DSP control.
SRX is a lot heavier too.
PRX is a great option and worth the money BUT does not sound as clear or hold its integrity at high SPL the same way a DSR does.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 12:18:16 PM »

I have both, and prefer the sound of the SRX. It will also go louder than the DSR IMO. I use both PRX and SRX systems several times a week, and love they way they both sound. The DSR's are very clear, and are excellent as monitors which is how I use them. I wasn't going to comment as I'm not familiar with your JPRO boxes, so YMMV.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 12:18:16 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.