ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered 12" Mains  (Read 8869 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Powered 12" Mains
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 06:03:47 PM »

The M-Pros actually sound pretty good.  And while they don't have the evenness of pattern the DSRs do, they are much better than something like the QSC-Ks.  They just won't go that loud compared to a modern speaker with a better CD.  And suffer from the HF congestion when pushed that any budget speaker does.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2018, 11:10:13 PM »

The M-Pros actually sound pretty good. 

Yeah... kind of lost in the discussion here... the MPRO 400 series were great speakers in their day, and my guess would be that it would take something a level up from a QSC K or JBL PRX to do appreciably better today.

Confusing enough back then (and even moreso now) JBL had two MPRO lines: the 200 (covered in ratfur and junk) and the 400 (Duratex with infinitely better drivers). And Mike is currently using the MP415s.

I still have not heard a Yamaha DSR (which would seem to be the top contender here) so I'll leave the recommendations to others.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 02:29:43 PM »

Whatever model/brand you choose I would not go with anything less then a 133db peak spec considering the stage volume two guitars and drums put out .

Or we could just say two screaming electric guitars that the mix is typically built around in a club.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 02:40:55 PM »

I have RCF HD32 MK4 over sub 8004. Sounds quite good, but now i have bought some RCF TT25 CXA. This really is a difference of night and day,. You can buy around 2.5 HD32's for 1 CXA though.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 05:57:45 PM by Geert Friedhof »

Scott Bolt

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 06:12:25 PM »

Yeah... kind of lost in the discussion here... the MPRO 400 series were great speakers in their day, and my guess would be that it would take something a level up from a QSC K or JBL PRX to do appreciably better today.

Confusing enough back then (and even moreso now) JBL had two MPRO lines: the 200 (covered in ratfur and junk) and the 400 (Duratex with infinitely better drivers). And Mike is currently using the MP415s.

I still have not heard a Yamaha DSR (which would seem to be the top contender here) so I'll leave the recommendations to others.

I was thinking about the rat fur version .  Those were bad.  I don’t know if I have ever heard the 400 series

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 07:33:01 PM »

Also, based on the experience of losing 3 out of the 4 CDs, the little light bulb limiter doesn't protect the CD very well.  Mostly we powered these with some sort of PLX, usually a 2402 for all four, never driven into clip.  From limited experience with them, I think PRX7s would outrun them.  QSC K's would be louder by a bit but have about the same clarity (or lack of it) at their limits.  Both have better protection with limiters in the built in amps.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2018, 12:37:58 PM »

Heck, if 14 cubic feet is the max, it puts larger powered speakers like the SRX835p in play (at 9.0 cu ft).

This could be a good option as well and will also offer some extra LF extension. Depending on the bar setups it can also keep sound off the walls given it's horizontal coverage.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/portable-market/srx800-series/srx835p#.W0eDd03rtIA

Mike Holtzinger

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2018, 07:14:05 AM »

This could be a good option as well and will also offer some extra LF extension. Depending on the bar setups it can also keep sound off the walls given it's horizontal coverage.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/portable-market/srx800-series/srx835p#.W0eDd03rtIA

Those won't work. At 85 lbs and 9 cu ft EACH, they're a little much for a sports bar band with an SUV.

Brian Charbobs

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2018, 07:43:45 AM »

I own all 3 (not DXS).....and I have answered this question a few times and said the same thing each time..... When it comes down to SRX and DSR sound quality, I do not believe the extra $ is necessarily worth paying but it depends on whether you want the following SRX conveniences.... side handles, tilt angle top hats, digital DSP and wireless DSP control.
SRX is a lot heavier too.
PRX is a great option and worth the money BUT does not sound as clear or hold its integrity at high SPL the same way a DSR does.
Now Debbie says the DSR12 series sound very good, and from what she shares here they are her go to speakers, and she also owns/uses the SRX812P.
I own a pair of SRX812P's and I love the way sound, but they are a big box with some weight to them, i do get help putting them up. I also had the PRX712 Series and i loved how much smaller they were and lighter, but the SRX812P (to me anyway) sound much nicer, in turns of bass and clarity. There are many nice choices out there so it really it is a matter of budget, taste, size, and application for what you need that will really be your guide.
Friends don't let friends use Behringer

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2018, 12:22:52 PM »

Now Debbie says the DSR12 series sound very good, and from what she shares here they are her go to speakers, and she also owns/uses the SRX812P.
I own a pair of SRX812P's and I love the way sound, but they are a big box with some weight to them, i do get help putting them up. I also had the PRX712 Series and i loved how much smaller they were and lighter, but the SRX812P (to me anyway) sound much nicer, in turns of bass and clarity. There are many nice choices out there so it really it is a matter of budget, taste, size, and application for what you need that will really be your guide.

I agree.....I have PRX712's too that I use as monitors when I run sound for a band that doesn't use iems, and although they are definitely worthy speakers for bar work, (I still use them for FOH from time to time in very small venues), they do not stand up to the DSR's or the SRX's in terms of pure sound quality and clarity. I must admit though, they are such a joy to transport and stick up on tripods. I can do those myself - YAY!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2018, 12:22:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.