ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered 12" Mains  (Read 8723 times)

jesseweiss

Re: Powered 12" Mains
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 12:20:58 PM »

I have both, and prefer the sound of the SRX. It will also go louder than the DSR IMO. I use both PRX and SRX systems several times a week, and love they way they both sound. The DSR's are very clear, and are excellent as monitors which is how I use them. I wasn't going to comment as I'm not familiar with your JPRO boxes, so YMMV.
I'm not the OP, so don't have JPro.

I'm upgrading from Mackie SRM.

Mike Holtzinger

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2018, 01:16:54 PM »

I'm not the OP, so don't have JPro.

I'm upgrading from Mackie SRM.

I am the OP and I had the Mackie SRMs. Used them quite extensively and the MPros sound better so there's that. Neither one has the upper mid of the old SR4732's , but maybe that's because of the size & scale? I used the SR4732's over 4719's and it was LOUD and in your face.

Jay Marr

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2018, 01:54:10 PM »

Neither one has the upper mid of the old SR4732's , but maybe that's because of the size & scale? I used the SR4732's over 4719's and it was LOUD and in your face.

Apples and Oranges.

* I've got a pair of SR4732s in a storage room somewhere....you are more than welcome to purchase them for a low price.  Bring a forklift to carry them.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:57:13 PM by Jay Marr »

George Herbert

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 02:41:28 PM »

Unless I missed something in the other offering's line up RCF is the only one that has truly large format compression driver models in a molded plastic powered speaker as in a 1.4 exit with a 3 inch diaphragm and 2 inch exit with a 4 inch diaphragm.

Disclaimer time....I am set up direct with RCF.

I have 12" RCFs with the large compression driver. HD-32A. I'm a fan, love the way they sound, like them a lot more than other similarly priced speakers ("similarly" = the RCFs are a little bit more expensive).

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 09:23:18 PM »

I think the SRX is definitely a step up, but sound at that point becomes subjective. Does the SRX sound better? Perhaps not to some, and probably to others. Does the SRX outperform the DSR? Quite likely and realistically yes. If sound is the backseat choice while outright performance is the front seat, the SRX would win out.

Most all speakers that are above the $700 price point have nothing about them that makes them sound BAD. They all in fact sound pretty good. Which one sounds best when near its limits is the real question. None at that level will sound bad vs another, but one will walk away outperforming another. If a Behringer 12" model works and sounds great to you, then by all means....... The question is what does your budget allow for you to have in terms of performance vs. your needs. If you have low needs and expectations, then a low cost speaker will likely meet them. If you need high dollar performance but only have Behringer budget, then you have a choice to make. That is what you have to decide.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 08:20:03 AM »

My recommendation for the DSR over the SRX was also made because the OP asked for a 'smaller powered 12" top that will outperform  the MP415'. The Yamaha is quite a bit smaller and lighter than the SRX and will still meet his needs.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mike Holtzinger

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 10:54:49 AM »

My recommendation for the DSR over the SRX was also made because the OP asked for a 'smaller powered 12" top that will outperform  the MP415'. The Yamaha is quite a bit smaller and lighter than the SRX and will still meet his needs.

Yes, size is important, but then again, by going with powered tops I'll be losing an 8 RU road case. Between that and the 2 MPro's I'll have 14cu FT available. The 2 JBL's would be 8 cu FT and the 2 Yamahas are 6.14 cu FT. Now I need to hear them side by side. GC in Orlando doesn't have either in stock.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2018, 11:42:45 AM »

Yes, size is important, but then again, by going with powered tops I'll be losing an 8 RU road case. Between that and the 2 MPro's I'll have 14cu FT available. The 2 JBL's would be 8 cu FT and the 2 Yamahas are 6.14 cu FT. Now I need to hear them side by side. GC in Orlando doesn't have either in stock.

So then you are not actually looking for speakers smaller than what you have already - you are looking for speakers smaller than 14 cu ft if you are now including the rack size. Then you could probably use basically anything (considered better sound quality than the MPros) within your budget - whatever your budget is.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 01:37:06 PM »

Mike,

I will be doing a small outside gig in Lakeland Saturday day if you want to hear the Yamahas. DM me for details if interested.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Rick Powell

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 04:18:53 PM »

So then you are not actually looking for speakers smaller than what you have already - you are looking for speakers smaller than 14 cu ft if you are now including the rack size. Then you could probably use basically anything (considered better sound quality than the MPros) within your budget - whatever your budget is.

Heck, if 14 cubic feet is the max, it puts larger powered speakers like the SRX835p in play (at 9.0 cu ft).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 04:18:53 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.