ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum Mics  (Read 5306 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
Re: Drum Mics
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 08:35:21 AM »

I’m in the opposite camp.
Even in small clubs, I want the nicest pair of OH available, even if I’m using only a touch of OH in the mix.
I want a pair of mics that pick up every detail without sounding harsh and with good off axis-isolation with minor off axis-coloration.

Often the mics will pick up a lot of gunk off axis. So I wish to deploy OH that have the nicest off axis-sound possible, good isolation and great on axis-sound.

Enter the DPA 4018. They’re really nice mics, moved to them from Sennheiser MKH50. Give them a shot if you have the chance.

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2018, 05:04:04 PM »

These are fairly good... I've mixed them before.  Trick for these was to get them closer to the instruments.  Once close (or closer), they sound pretty good.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C02--samson-c02-stereo-pair

Matt Greiner

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2018, 01:07:46 AM »

Overheads or hat= audio Technica ATM 450

Kick= beta 52+91

Snare sm 57

Add senn 604/904 for Tom's for larger shows and you will be set.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

This is very similar to my drum mic locker.

Kick -
Beta 52a
Beta 91
D6

Snare -
I5
Sm57

Toms -
e604's
e904's

Overheads/HH

C-2's

My go to for the kick is the 52a, but I like having the others around if requested or if I'm not liking the sound of the kick.

I've got some 57's for backup.

I definitely went the cheap route for overheads, but I also don't use them unless it's for a larger outdoor show.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 04:43:53 AM »

I agree b52/b91 is the best combo, but single kick mic an AKG D112 is my favourite. At lounge level the good old 604 is very usable. I don't really get the 904. I also like the b98, but that is a different level. For OH i like KM184 or the old 451 but any sdc will do. I usually use only 5 channels: kick, snare, hihat, 2x OH. The kick gets a gate and comp, the snare only a comp. Bigger gigs get more mics.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 08:12:08 AM »

Am I the only person on here that likes the Sennheiser e 602‑II on kick?
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 10:27:44 AM »

Use the Audix "D" series here
But will be checking out the Senn's kit soon as I have the 9xx series mics & their G3 Wireless units which I like a lot.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 10:37:55 AM »

As a budget option, I have been using Rode M5s for overhead and high hat.  $199 for a matched pair.  Tom's get 604/904s.  Snare is a 57 or an i5.  Bass Drum changes based on the style of music; D6, Beta52a, sm91, M88, or D112.  I never had a problem with sm57s on drums other then its easier to place a smaller mic, and it sometimes handier to have an "extra" four or five 57's for those gigs where you don't have a drummer but, have a bunch of other instruments.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 11:19:27 AM »

So unfortunately my drum mics seemed to have disappeared. Fortunately they weren't anything special. It was the older $299 PG kit from many years ago, although I had two Audix F15's also that I got for $99 for the pair.

So this small misfortune provides the opportunity to look for new mics.  I typically just run either kick and 2 overheads or kick/snare and 2 overheads as I never close mic the toms anymore.

I've read through the kick drum mic thread and have some ideas from there.

But for snare I really don't have a lot of experience beyond SM57's (other than the PG included with my old kit) and the same for the overheads. The f15's were the only one's I ever owned.

Any recommendations, particularly for the overheads?

This thief did you a favor.

If the Kick/OH setup works for you I would spend money on a decent set of condensors (KSM, AKG, AT, Rode) OR a pair of Heil PR30's for OH's. The PR30's are so awesome on OH, and so few people have experienced it. For the Kick I would watch ebay for an old SM91 or SM90.

On a budget I would suggest a pair of Audio Technica Pro 45's for OH. This requires some creativity to mount them to stands, but they sound pretty dang good and can be had for peanuts usually on ebay. The built in cord isn't an issue. I toured with a pair for 3 years and never had a problem. Pair these with a kick mic and you'll have a great, natural sounding setup.

BTW, what kind of music do ya'll play?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

jesseweiss

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 01:15:01 PM »

So the mic case turned up in the car of another band member.

That being said I'm still going to upgrade.

Right now I'm considering get the Audix D pack (w/o condensers) rather than mixing and matching.

It may be a small thing but I like their mounts as stand mouting is tough in small spaces.

As someone asked, we're a fairly typical bar rock cover band, although we play more older alternative stuff than classic rock.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2018, 01:29:07 PM »

So the mic case turned up in the car of another band member.

That being said I'm still going to upgrade.

Right now I'm considering get the Audix D pack (w/o condensers) rather than mixing and matching.

It may be a small thing but I like their mounts as stand mouting is tough in small spaces.

As someone asked, we're a fairly typical bar rock cover band, although we play more older alternative stuff than classic rock.

Before you buy a system, borrow or rent the clamps and use them a few times. The Audix clamps are my least favorite. The Sennheiser and the Shure clamps are "OK", but the LP Claw's are the tippy-top very bestest of the bunch.

My favorite thing is that you can use the LP Claw on things that aren't a drum rim. I hate actually clamping to the rim. I clamp to a cymbal stand and place the mic over the drum. AB two mics on a drum, one clamped to the drum and one not touching the drum in anmy way. I think you'll be surprised!

I like the D series mics, but those clamps are not great....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2018, 01:29:07 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.