ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 on Honda EU6500 problem?  (Read 2755 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: X32 on Honda EU6500 problem?
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 10:33:50 PM »

Bass amp, floor tom, any LF can set off a kick drum.  Putting the mic inside the drum makes it worse.  Similar to a vocalist cupping a mic.  Boosting eqs gives it a center frequency to ring at.  I'm almost always gating kick drums unless they're full of pillows.  The decay goes with getting some amount of tone and what is appropriate to the genre of the music.  Indoors I gate tighter as the room usually has plenty of overhang and simulates sustain.

Wes Garland

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 10:43:22 PM »

FWIW - I think the drum kit was set up in anti-node.

Wes Garland

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 10:49:36 PM »

Bass amp, floor tom, any LF can set off a kick drum.  Putting the mic inside the drum makes it worse.  Similar to a vocalist cupping a mic.

Would putting the mic on a stand help?   That is how I normally mic kits, but this drummer likes his mic inside.  He is all about optimizing the load-in. :)

Thanks for gate tips.  I am still learning how to use these effectively.  Going digital this year has given me a wider pallette with which to ruin things, ;) .   I have been re-mixing shows I recorded with my X-Live, and have learned that without drums in the room to help me out...it is very easy to wind up with a horrible sounding drum if the hold/release times are too short!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 11:50:56 PM »

I have been re-mixing shows I recorded with my X-Live, and have learned that without drums in the room to help me out...it is very easy to wind up with a horrible sounding drum if the hold/release times are too short!

The first time you mix in a room our outdoors where the stage contribution is insignificant is the moment you realize that you are in way over your head. 

Then you get used to having all the control and going back to a small room sucks.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Wes Garland

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 09:26:10 AM »

Follow up on the wire gauges for the curious - it turns out I was using a 14awg 25' extension split feeding a pair of 25' 18 awg IEC leads.

My "monster" 50' cords are 12 and 10 awg, but were not in use that day.  Good to call this out, pretty sure it's unrelated to this issue, though.

Scott - you're sure right about that!   Re-mixing shows recorded with the X-Live has been an invaluable learning experience.

Wes Garland

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 10:39:05 AM »

Okay, you guys were right.  It was acoustic feedback.

I'm royally perplexed at WHY it's feeding back, but I spent some time yesterday during sound check setting up a gate and managed to get rid of the feedback without destroying the sound of the kick drum.

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 01:02:04 AM »

Wes,

Are you running 120V or 240V?

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Follow up on the wire gauges for the curious - it turns out I was using a 14awg 25' extension split feeding a pair of 25' 18 awg IEC leads.

My "monster" 50' cords are 12 and 10 awg, but were not in use that day.  Good to call this out, pretty sure it's unrelated to this issue, though.

Scott - you're sure right about that!   Re-mixing shows recorded with the X-Live has been an invaluable learning experience.

Wes Garland

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 09:14:24 AM »

Wes,

Are you running 120V or 240V?

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

We are running 120V. Total system load hits a maximum of 8.1A when averaged over a couple of seconds.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 11:23:32 AM »

Piling on to the "generator oddity" thing here...

We did a weekend gig and used a Honda EU7000iS generator. Normally have had fantastic results with these - we rent them for around $75/weekend from a reputable local rental house.

This weekend, however, I heard an odd "click/whiz/whir" noise in the mains when the PA was otherwise silent. Not loud, but audible.

Our dLive gear was running off of a SurgeX double-conversion UPS. The subs (JTR Captivator C212Pro) and mains (RCF TTL-6A) were running straight off of the generator. Only heard the noise in the mains, so it was above 100Hz.

Could the generator have had something going on to generate that noise? It didn't get louder or softer with content/fader movement. It was just "present" in the mains.

And... FWIW, running 4x C212Pro, 2x TTL-6A, 5x DSR112, and the mixing gear, the generator was showing 1400-1800VA load most of the time. That was with us hitting 95dB A-weight and 103-104dB C-weight at FOH (about 60-feet back from stage, under a 40x100 tent). I thought that was incredibly low/efficient...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 11:23:32 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.