ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 70V Amp Recommendations?  (Read 8268 times)

Nick Bair

70V Amp Recommendations?
« on: March 31, 2011, 05:18:12 PM »

We've got a setup with 6 70V ceiling speakers (Tannoy CVS6) which we use to broadcast our services into an overflow seating area. I am looking for a new power amp to drive them.

I am thinking that 30W/each should be plenty for what we're doing, so I'm figuring on a 200W amp. I understand I could also get a low-Z amp but that it would have to be rated for much higher wattage (like 600W @ 8ohms). I would be fine with that as long as the price is right. Not looking to break the bank here, but don't want absolute junk either. Any suggestions?

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: 70V Amp Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 05:27:11 PM »

Single channel 70V amps are typically more along the lines of the TOA P900 series range http://www.toaelectronics.com/amp0002.asp with a P-924MkII rated at 240W.  That's pretty typical for paging and announcement type systems.  Otherwise, you're right, it would actually be a minimum 625W into 8 Ohms to direct drive a 70V (or more accurately 70.7V) system, but since you only need one output that could be with the amp in bridge mono mode.  Or you could split the six speakers into two runs and use a smaller two channel amp rated for 70V use or with an external transformer.

Nick Bair

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 08:24:01 PM »

I have to admit, that TOA amp is too rich for my blood. Is that price point necessary?

I'm eyeballing the Yorkville CA1 (http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?cat=34&type=31&id=230). Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 08:52:45 PM by Nick Bair »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 10:19:30 PM »

I have to admit, that TOA amp is too rich for my blood. Is that price point necessary?
The TOA is a very reliable and well proven commercial product, however it was offered more as an example of the type of product that would be common and there are definitely similar products at lower price points.

If you went with the Yorkville CA1 I would not tap all six speakers at 30W since that would equal the 70V rating of the amp and provide no accommodation for line losses, insertion losses, etc.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 10:30:44 AM »

The TOA is a very reliable and well proven commercial product, however it was offered more as an example of the type of product that would be common and there are definitely similar products at lower price points.

If you went with the Yorkville CA1 I would not tap all six speakers at 30W since that would equal the 70V rating of the amp and provide no accommodation for line losses, insertion losses, etc.

There is always a good supply of TOA P900 amps on Ebay Most seem to be pulled from service in business. They seem to go for crazy low prices. (No DJ is going to be caught with a TOA amp, I don't know why.
Not to Code

Nick Bair

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 12:22:56 PM »

When I found this amp I conceded that two of the speakers could be turned down to 15W each, which gives me 150W total. Then I have 20% to account for transformer tax, line loss, etc. In fact, two of the speakers are on an 8-foot ceiling whereas the other four are in a much higher, vaulted ceiling. Turning down those two probably makes sense anyway.

No DJ is going to be caught with a TOA amp, I don't know why.

Simple--not enough blinking lights!

FYI, I did not see any on Ebay right now (I hate buying electronics on Ebay anyway--it seems that is where the deceitfulness of man burns hottest).

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 10:22:43 PM »

Simple--not enough blinking lights!

FYI, I did not see any on Ebay right now (I hate buying electronics on Ebay anyway--it seems that is where the deceitfulness of man burns hottest).

I understand not liking buying electronics on Ebay but there are 57 TOA 900 amps and 142 TOA Amplifiers

Frank
Not to Code

Nick Bair

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 06:56:28 AM »

I understand not liking buying electronics on Ebay but there are 57 TOA 900 amps and 142 TOA Amplifiers

Frank

I must have mis-typed the model number or something because you're right, there are a lot of those available!

Well, now there's one less available, because I just bought an old-model, used P-924MK2 for $200+s&h. Don't let me down, Ebay!

Niels Hempel

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 09:18:31 AM »

We've got a setup with 6 70V ceiling speakers (Tannoy CVS6) which we use to broadcast our services into an overflow seating area. I am looking for a new power amp to drive them.

I am thinking that 30W/each should be plenty for what we're doing, so I'm figuring on a 200W amp. I understand I could also get a low-Z amp but that it would have to be rated for much higher wattage (like 600W @ 8ohms). I would be fine with that as long as the price is right. Not looking to break the bank here, but don't want absolute junk either. Any suggestions?

Atlas Sound amps have a great price point.  AA240's (240watt) go for 626.50.  Email me if you need one.
Niels Hempel
Tri-Tronics Professional Electronics, NC
www.tri-tronicsproelectronics.com
A/V Sales

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 09:18:31 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.