ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LED's and Mover on GFI ??? "Ghosts/Goblins ?"  (Read 4061 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: LED's and Mover on GFI ??? "Ghosts/Goblins ?"
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 09:00:11 AM »

I also bought a DMX Splitter for back of light board to separate the stage left and stage right -  I plan on using a terminator at the end of each run on each side of the stage.

Anybody else split the signal like this ?
Assuming you mean a Y-cable as mentioned in your other post, no - don't do this.  This will likely be worse than having all your fixtures in a line.

Patrick Campbell

• Jury's Out Rock Band
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 11:46:35 AM »

Assuming you mean a Y-cable as mentioned in your other post, no - don't do this.  This will likely be worse than having all your fixtures in a line.

Yikes - Ok Tom thanks for the heads up

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 12:04:29 PM »

A DMX splitter is an active device. Mine was not expensive and optically splits to 4 outputs with both 3 & 5 pin connectors. It is a 1u rack unit.

Good for you using terminators. However, the terminators are for terminating a 110 ohm transmission line, not audio cables.

Use the right cables, manage how many fixtures per run, use terminators. This is the way to success.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 12:20:52 PM »

I also bought a DMX Splitter for back of light board to separate the stage left and stage right -  I plan on using a terminator at the end of each run on each side of the stage.

Anybody else split the signal like this ?

I use an optical splitter, and have it as far "downstream" as is feasible. That often means it sits SL or SR backstage.  "Y" cables don't work well for DMX signals. FYI, I always use data cable (not mic cable) for lighting control of multi-channel fixtures.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Patrick Campbell

• Jury's Out Rock Band
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2018, 08:44:03 AM »

Hey Everyone,

Thanks again for all the great ideas.

We used a terminator at set up on July 3rd and did one unit at a time

This led us to TWO bad cables which are being .

From all the great advice I am ordering DMX cables for all our lights. Wrapping yellow tape at each end

Thanks again

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 12:22:31 AM »

My audio cables are silver Neutrik XLR connectors with a green ring. My data cables are black Neutrik connectors with a white ring.  No tape to slip off and leave a gooey mess.  No confusion, no question about what is what, just a glance makes it obvious.  (And which cables belong to me.)  It makes sorting cables at the end of a show much easier, too.  Something to keep in mind as you build your cable inventory, perhaps.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 01:42:53 PM »

My audio cables are silver Neutrik XLR connectors with a green ring. My data cables are black Neutrik connectors with a white ring.  No tape to slip off and leave a gooey mess.  No confusion, no question about what is what, just a glance makes it obvious.  (And which cables belong to me.)  It makes sorting cables at the end of a show much easier, too.

Absolutely.  I use the tiny colored zipties you can buy at Harbor Freight and put one on each cable right below the connector.  Blue is audio, green is DMX, yellow is power.  Easy to see what’s mine and where it goes yet is impossible to fall off or accidentally remove.  Good luck!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 01:42:53 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.