Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Lavalier vs handheld

(1/4) > >>

Stephen Swaffer:
So, another "I think I know the answer" question.  I know the issues with using a lavalier-tonight we had an outdoor service and I declined to take the lavalier because past experience says "bad idea".  Same special speaker we had in the morning and lavalier was a bust-he just didn't project enough-ended up using the pulpit mic and it was sorta OK.

This guy is a decorated Vietnam vet and the real deal-but has a hard time holding a mic in his hand due to war injuries, so he does something off the wall-takes our SM58 wireless and sticks it in his left shirt pocket.  Sounds fantastic.

I know I will get asked this week, "Why can't the lavalier work like the handheld-the mics are in the same place relative to the speakers mouth".

Lee Douglas:
http://www.shure.com/americas/support/find-an-answer/which-lavalier-mic-should-i-use

It can.  They're available in omni or cardoid.  Neither one will work especially well if your speaker can't/won't speak correctly.  It's also important for your purchaser to understand the difference between the use of a lav on TV, where it simply gathered for recording/broadcast and live sound, where it is in the same space as speakers trying to reinforce it.

Mike Caldwell:
Actually if I need to use a lav I would rather use one outside
instead of in a room that most likely is reverb chamber.

If at all possible look at using a earset/headset style mic, even a budget model will work better and more consisent than most lav mics.

Jerome Malsack:
When using a cardiod  lav it needs to be treated like the handheld.  Most of the time the omni Lav is placed where it fits and the mic head appears to point left or right and not up.  The cardiod when pointing up works ok until the person turns his head.  So you want the person to move his body and not his head.   

With the headsets are they omni or cardiod ? most are omni.  so again prone to feedback easily.   you will not now if you do not try to work with them.  Turn down the gain some and have them speak out and project the voice.  Ensure the body packs are not over loading and clipping. 

Dave Pluke:

--- Quote from: Stephen Swaffer on July 01, 2018, 11:07:44 PM ---I know I will get asked this week, "Why can't the lavalier work like the handheld-the mics are in the same place relative to the speakers mouth".

--- End quote ---

A classic issue with lavaliers in a House of Worship environment is that proximity changes dramatically from when someone is speaking forward versus bowing their head.  FOH needs to not only ride the fader, but also the LF.

Headsets are definitely the way to go.  Which style of headset opens another can of worms.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version