ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC Touchmix 16 versus A&H Qu16??  (Read 8090 times)

Kev Jones

QSC Touchmix 16 versus A&H Qu16??
« on: July 01, 2018, 06:53:05 AM »

Have been using a Qu16 for about 4 years for my band... and it's been a great mixer (I play guitar - and I mix on stage... ie we don't have a soundman). However, I'm now looking for something a bit smaller and lighter (I'm getting old - and I'm trying to make loading and unloading a bit less of a workout for my old bones).  Hence my interest in the TouchMix 16.

What's the sound quality like on the TM 16 versus the QU16?  Pres?  FX??? etc.

The QU16 has been faultless... never had a glitch on a gig. Is the QSC TM a reliable bit of kit???

Also... a specific question about the TM 16.  I see it has two stereo auxes that can drive wired IEMs (without a headphone amp - as I believe the headphone amps are built into the stereo aux outputs).  My question is: can I attach wireless IEMs to the two stereo auxes - or is the signal only suitable for wired headsets?

Many thanks for your help.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: QSC Touchmix 16 versus A&H Qu16??
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 08:10:46 AM »

Have been using a Qu16 for about 4 years for my band... and it's been a great mixer (I play guitar - and I mix on stage... ie we don't have a soundman). However, I'm now looking for something a bit smaller and lighter (I'm getting old - and I'm trying to make loading and unloading a bit less of a workout for my old bones).  Hence my interest in the TouchMix 16.

What's the sound quality like on the TM 16 versus the QU16?  Pres?  FX??? etc.

The QU16 has been faultless... never had a glitch on a gig. Is the QSC TM a reliable bit of kit???

Also... a specific question about the TM 16.  I see it has two stereo auxes that can drive wired IEMs (without a headphone amp - as I believe the headphone amps are built into the stereo aux outputs).  My question is: can I attach wireless IEMs to the two stereo auxes - or is the signal only suitable for wired headsets?

Many thanks for your help.

Sound quality would not be a concern.

The mic preamps on the TM16 are not re-callable with the scenes on a TM16, may or may not be a big deal since it sounds like your using the same set up with the same band all the time.

The stereo aux outs are on 1/4 inch TRS jacks and would work with your IEM transmitters, you would need to used break out cables that take the 1/4 inch TRS stereo out to two lines for the inputs on your IEM transmitters.

Are you mixing directly on the surface of your QU16 or are you using an iPad when your playing?

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 09:41:22 AM »

I have both of those and can confirm sound quality to be a non issue. Both sound very neutral. Both units are super easy to get around on, but my brain connects better with the QU.
Also, I find the recallable gains a huge plus for the QU. I find myself often having to adjust gains during the first song or 2 until the band settles in. The digital gains on the TM are somewhat limited.  TM makes a great spare to bring along if you need piece of mind.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 11:22:35 AM »

A couple of "if" questions.

If you are using the Allen Heath Q pad app to mix and if you like it you may want to consider getting a QU Pac or a QU SB rack mixer. The app interface is the same.

You could rack either the QU Pac or the QU SB up in a smaller rack with the rest of your equipment most likely making for a smaller more compact rack then what your using now with a QU16 in it.

For what it's worth the Touch Mix main mixing / control surface is basically like an iPad screen with the addition of a job knob, some navigation buttons and a few dedicated hot keys.

Mal Brown

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 11:51:47 AM »

I would add the ui24r to your list.  Available at around $800 from dealers on this site.  More i/o, phenomenal sound quality and from a software standpoint, the most intelligent design out there bar none.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Kev Jones

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 01:31:48 PM »

Sound quality would not be a concern.

The mic preamps on the TM16 are not re-callable with the scenes on a TM16, may or may not be a big deal since it sounds like your using the same set up with the same band all the time.

The stereo aux outs are on 1/4 inch TRS jacks and would work with your IEM transmitters, you would need to used break out cables that take the 1/4 inch TRS stereo out to two lines for the inputs on your IEM transmitters.

Are you mixing directly on the surface of your QU16 or are you using an iPad when your playing?

Thanks for confirmation re. sound quality.

The IEM I'm planning to use has a TRS jack input... so no need for a break out cable - just TRS to TRS cable, I guess.  However, as the signal is already amplified in the TouchMix, will it be too hot for the input of the wireless IEM?

I don't use an iPad with the QU16... and don't plan to with the TM (so the physical dial control is of interest on the TM - instead of using something like a QU Pac and an iPod).

Thanks for your help.

Kev Jones

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 01:34:21 PM »

I have both of those and can confirm sound quality to be a non issue. Both sound very neutral. Both units are super easy to get around on, but my brain connects better with the QU.
Also, I find the recallable gains a huge plus for the QU. I find myself often having to adjust gains during the first song or 2 until the band settles in. The digital gains on the TM are somewhat limited.  TM makes a great spare to bring along if you need piece of mind.

Thanks for the info.  Great to hear from someone that has both the QU and the TM. Very reassuring to hear your comments regarding sound quality.
Yes, I'll miss the recallable gains - but it'll be good to have a smaller, lighter mixer.
Thanks for your help.

Kev Jones

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 01:37:50 PM »

A couple of "if" questions.

If you are using the Allen Heath Q pad app to mix and if you like it you may want to consider getting a QU Pac or a QU SB rack mixer. The app interface is the same.

You could rack either the QU Pac or the QU SB up in a smaller rack with the rest of your equipment most likely making for a smaller more compact rack then what your using now with a QU16 in it.

For what it's worth the Touch Mix main mixing / control surface is basically like an iPad screen with the addition of a job knob, some navigation buttons and a few dedicated hot keys.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I don't use an iPad with the QU16... and I don't plan to use one with the TM. I like the idea of something that's fairly self contained... and the rotary knob and the buttons are things that I think will help me (instead of just using a touchscreen on an iPad... which I'm guessing might be a bit 'hit or miss' when I'm trying to adjust the mix in between guitar strums!!).

Thanks for your help.

Kev Jones

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 01:38:51 PM »

I would add the ui24r to your list.  Available at around $800 from dealers on this site.  More i/o, phenomenal sound quality and from a software standpoint, the most intelligent design out there bar none.

Thanks.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 04:42:34 PM »

Thanks for confirmation re. sound quality.

The IEM I'm planning to use has a TRS jack input... so no need for a break out cable - just TRS to TRS cable, I guess.  However, as the signal is already amplified in the TouchMix, will it be too hot for the input of the wireless IEM?

I don't use an iPad with the QU16... and don't plan to with the TM (so the physical dial control is of interest on the TM - instead of using something like a QU Pac and an iPod).

Thanks for your help.

What IEM transmitter do you have, most inputs that are TRS are set up for balanced audio input as in tip is + and the ring is - unless noted on the piece of equipment.

In the case of the TM16 the aux 7&8 and 9&10 1/4 inch TRS jacks are set up for left right stereo out. Unless your IEM transmitter's 1/4 inch TRS inputs are set up to accept  a true stereo input via the 1/4 inch TRS you will need a breakout cable.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 04:42:34 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.