ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choosing between 10mw and 50mw (UHF-R)  (Read 1876 times)

Justin Goodman

Choosing between 10mw and 50mw (UHF-R)
« on: June 30, 2018, 06:33:14 PM »

Primarily do wedding ceremonies where I'll be anywhere from 50' to 200' from the officiant/groom (bodypacks usually behind their back, sometimes in jacket pocket/front) and a stand mic. As wedding planners are allergic to almost any visual impact, I usually set up LPDA's on the same stand with opposite polarizations. Spatial diversity would be nice, but that's not a conversation that goes over well with wedding planners.

Even at 50', the 50mw setting doesn't ping the OL lights on the rx's at all.  The bodypacks often being behind their backs is what parimarily worries me in terms of choosing low power mode.  That and sometimes being between a crowd of 200 people and the officiant then all 200 of them stand at once and now the signal is going through 15-20 people to reach me. 

Any good rule of thumb to use in terms of signal strength?  If I'm using a spectrum analyzer to test during sound check, is there any quantifiable signal strength that's too high?

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Re: Choosing between 10mw and 50mw (UHF-R)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 07:16:14 PM »

Primarily do wedding ceremonies where I'll be anywhere from 50' to 200' from the officiant/groom (bodypacks usually behind their back, sometimes in jacket pocket/front) and a stand mic. As wedding planners are allergic to almost any visual impact, I usually set up LPDA's on the same stand with opposite polarizations. Spatial diversity would be nice, but that's not a conversation that goes over well with wedding planners.

Even at 50', the 50mw setting doesn't ping the OL lights on the rx's at all.  The bodypacks often being behind their backs is what parimarily worries me in terms of choosing low power mode.  That and sometimes being between a crowd of 200 people and the officiant then all 200 of them stand at once and now the signal is going through 15-20 people to reach me. 

Any good rule of thumb to use in terms of signal strength?  If I'm using a spectrum analyzer to test during sound check, is there any quantifiable signal strength that's too high?

Outdoors, I wouldn't worry except for excessive battery drain.  Indoors, in a ballroom for instance, high power might work against you.  Getting you  RX antennas high to avoid the audience will help but may be too unsightly.  Small antennas hidden near the ceremony would be another option.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Justin Goodman

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 07:33:09 PM »

Outdoors, I wouldn't worry except for excessive battery drain.  Indoors, in a ballroom for instance, high power might work against you.  Getting you  RX antennas high to avoid the audience will help but may be too unsightly.  Small antennas hidden near the ceremony would be another option.

Thanks for the reply! Luckily indoors most planners opt to skip ceremony sound reinforcement other than maybe recorded music--in that way they can be quite reasonable. But outdoors antennas 10-12' in the air to maintain LOS over a standing crowd wouldn't fly. 

Smaller antennas near the altar would be nice, but most venues usually have cocktails outside as well, so planners don't want me running cable from "FOH" to the altar (both for strike time and because we're usually in grass where I can't use a cable runner or tape down).  So I use an IEM tx and battery powered speaker... up in 5-10 mins and down even faster. 

Brad Harris

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 02:28:46 PM »

The UHF-R want to see (at most) -20dBm input level.

A 50mW transmission @ 8ft is just above that -20dBm threshold (not factoring in antenna systems and cable losses)

Brad

Scott Helmke

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 06:52:34 PM »

As wedding planners are allergic to almost any visual impact, I usually set up LPDA's on the same stand with opposite polarizations. Spatial diversity would be nice, but that's not a conversation that goes over well with wedding planners.

Somebody ought to make a nice diversity antenna that's covered in stretchy white fabric and maybe some fake flowers.

Or mount some flashing/spinning lights on it and plant it right by the dance floor.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 07:53:32 PM »

Somebody ought to make a nice diversity antenna that's covered in stretchy white fabric and maybe some fake flowers.

Or mount some flashing/spinning lights on it and plant it right by the dance floor.

Paint the antenna white and apply a cherub decal?
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Brian Hancock

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 09:36:23 PM »

why don't u use a fin and one of the akg/red venue pads ... out of the way visually and would get great reception

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 01:28:10 PM »

Wedding consultants/planners should be shot - by the photographer. ;)

Seriously, I've met very few tradespersons as neurotic or as impossible to please as "wedding planners."

"We need to hear the vows!"

"Ok, then we need microphones close to the couple and officiant, and the loudspeakers need unobstructed coverage of the audience."

"Nothing can be seen."

"Thank you, but we'll decline your work."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 01:28:10 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.