ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gain structure to get more volume out of powered PA  (Read 7360 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Gain structure to get more volume out of powered PA
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2018, 10:14:53 AM »

Took me a while to figure out SOS ;).
I thought it was what they served us for lunch in the army (sh__ on shingles).  8)

I tried to ignore this thread but since it won't go away, maybe we can stick a fork in it. The people who design these systems for inexperienced users engineer them such that they will generally respond well to turning up the volume control if you want more volume. If you need more volume than that, you need to buy a bigger rig. A rig that can not make full volume easily will not fare well at point of sale in comparison against other similar SKUs in the store, so do not overthink this.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

jesseweiss

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2018, 11:49:52 AM »

I get your point, although my understanding of the Lab Lounge is that is exactly for people who run their own sound, with varying levels of experience.

I'm not completely inexperienced, as I've been running sound for my band for decades and theater sound via an LS9 at school where I teach for the last 10 years. My concern was that I was missing something nuanced, being mostly self taught, based on the comments of other users.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »

I get your point, although my understanding of the Lab Lounge is that is exactly for people who run their own sound, with varying levels of experience.

I'm not completely inexperienced, as I've been running sound for my band for decades and theater sound via an LS9 at school where I teach for the last 10 years. My concern was that I was missing something nuanced, being mostly self taught, based on the comments of other users.

You might be leaving a couple of dB on the table, but that's it.

JR was a product designer and manager for a major USA Musical instrument, accessories and sound manufacturer.  He knows well the sharp pencil applied to each model line and how that affects features and their limits.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2018, 01:41:06 PM »

no your question is welcome... its all the 4 pages of answers that I find troubling, but thats life on the WWW.

On the WWW people tell you everything they think they know, not necessarily the answer to your specific question. Sorry if my answer sounded condescending, but I'm old and tired.

To repeat these products are designed to not require nuance to sound competitive at POS, if they did they wouldn't sell very well.

JR 

PS: I suspect the vast majority here are self taught.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

jesseweiss

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2018, 01:43:30 PM »

No worries. I probably just need to upgrade at some point, although affordability is an issue.

I may rent next time we are outdoors playing (which is in the fall) and see the difference.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2018, 01:43:30 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.