ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lube console controls?  (Read 5389 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Lube console controls?
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 07:50:29 PM »

Sometimes scratchy pots are just that, worn out pots.

Another cause for scratchy pots is not so much the fault of the pot but the circuit associated with the pot has DC voltage leaking across the pot.

Ken Webster

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2018, 04:07:10 AM »

Sometimes scratchy pots are just that, worn out pots.

Another cause for scratchy pots is not so much the fault of the pot but the circuit associated with the pot has DC voltage leaking across the pot.

Hmm, I did find some loose earthing and suspect that related to poor sound within the monitoring system, the main and AUX outs sounded clean except when adjusting 3 or so specific pots.  The metal chassis is not grounded to its own supply.  In case you're wondering, the power plug is 3 pin and the lead is a flat 2 core (active & neutral only).  There is no evidence of tampering and the smaller mixer I bought for parts has exactly same hardware and setup so this all appears to be original.  The service manual clearly shows the US and Canadian models are grounded to the supply but the European model (with a voltage selection switch) is not grounded to the supply.

I reckon most electricians here in Australia would be shocked by this.....

Ken

Ken Cross

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 12:22:41 AM »

The service manual clearly shows the US and Canadian models are grounded to the supply but the European model (with a voltage selection switch) is not grounded to the supply.

I reckon most electricians here in Australia would be shocked by this.....

Ken
Great name by the way.

I wonder if that's related to us having half the line voltage you deal with down under. 

Panel meters are often a weak link. You might consider a digital replacement. It could be an interesting project, particularly considering you have an old mixer to play with. Cheap online parts may be available depending on what you actually need.

Ken

Ken Webster

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 04:52:24 AM »

Great name by the way.

I wonder if that's related to us having half the line voltage you deal with down under. 

Panel meters are often a weak link. You might consider a digital replacement. It could be an interesting project, particularly considering you have an old mixer to play with. Cheap online parts may be available depending on what you actually need.

Ken

I Don't believe so, over time Australian consumer voltage standard has changed slightly but has always around 240 VAC.  This is significantly dangerous of course and it is very highly unusual for a metal chassis device to not be earthed here.  Yamaha appears to be an exception, at least sometimes anyway.  Suspect it may be to avoid the possibility of ground loop hum.  I just hope that PSU is extremely well insulated, hard to see though.

Ken
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:18:44 AM by Ken Webster »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 04:52:24 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 24 queries.