Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Lube console controls?

(1/3) > >>

Ken Webster:
OK, so it's time to lube the console controls again.  A can of F5 with postage is about $50 AUD minimum and the tube it comes with is just incapable of efficiently delivering lube into the pots.  I attach a 1.2 mm dia hypodermic needle to the cans plastic tube.  This is much better, but the needle is still too large to inject lube directly into small pots.  A lot, perhaps most of the lube is still wasted.  Has anyone come up with a good system for doing this, please tell?

Oh yeh, the needle came from a pile of stable manure I got for the garden.......

Ken

Ken Webster:
Silence Hmm,  not sure what to make of that?

Kevin Maxwell:

--- Quote from: Ken Webster on June 25, 2018, 07:43:50 PM ---OK, so it's time to lube the console controls again.  A can of F5 with postage is about $50 AUD minimum and the tube it comes with is just incapable of efficiently delivering lube into the pots.  I attach a 1.2 mm dia hypodermic needle to the cans plastic tube.  This is much better, but the needle is still too large to inject lube directly into small pots.  A lot, perhaps most of the lube is still wasted.  Has anyone come up with a good system for doing this, please tell?

Oh yeh, the needle came from a pile of stable manure I got for the garden.......

Ken

--- End quote ---

What kind of console. Most of them will be damaged if you use the wrong stuff. What does the manufacturer recommend and why do you think it needs to be lubed?

Usually by the time a potentiometer has gotten to the point where you are hearing a problem when it is moved it is on its last legs. In other words they are damaged to the point that the lube is just a band aid. They are on their way out.

Mike Caldwell:
Spraying the lube around a the shaft on a pot will not do much. Some pots have openings where you can get a few drips of lube actually on to the conductive surface other pots are sealed.

Sometimes it helps, sometimes not for long, sometimes not at all.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee:
I'm with the other guys here. Maybe on the faders but follow the manufacturer recommendations there. If a pot is scratchy replace it, you should be able to do this yourself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version