ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Cable management  (Read 5460 times)

craig.jones8

Cable management
« on: June 24, 2018, 06:50:08 AM »

Hi all, saw a duo packing their gear away last night and they were gathering up their mic and connecting cables. They then halved them end for end until they he’
 had a manageable length then tied them in a knot ! Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Cable management
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 08:31:14 AM »

Hi all, saw a duo packing their gear away last night and they were gathering up their mic and connecting cables. They then halved them end for end until they he’

Personal economic stimulus for the cable manufacturing industry.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 09:32:09 AM »

Personal economic stimulus for the cable manufacturing industry.

Exactly. Cables are not quite as flexible and durable as rope. Tight knots and kinks will eventually cripple them.
Member since 2005.

Matt Greiner

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 11:14:16 AM »

Exactly. Cables are not quite as flexible and durable as rope. Tight knots and kinks will eventually cripple them.

Trick line works well.  Won't damage cables and isn't nearly as expensive as replacing cables.

Mal Brown

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 12:08:37 PM »

Over/under, cable tie. 
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 12:12:22 PM »

I work with a guy who does this with his short patch cables.  The overhand knot is loose, not tight, and he doesn't seem to have any issues.  I'll add that his cables are Belden 8412, some are 30 years old.  I'm doubtful that lesser wire constructions would hold up as well.

For casual storage we over-under and secure with tie line or electrical tape.  For long term storage we spool mic cables on fire hose reels.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 12:43:06 PM »

I work with a guy who does this with his short patch cables.  The overhand knot is loose, not tight, and he doesn't seem to have any issues. 

I do this as well with my 5 and 6ft cables.  The key word is LOOSE knot.  If you pull it tight you'll definitely induce breakage, but so long as you keep it LOOSE you should be okay.  Most of my cables are 10+ years old too - I have yet to break one doing this.  Just because I can get away with this doesn't make it right, but I don't have any evidence to the contrary.  I over/under everything else.

John Fruits

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 01:20:57 PM »

For long term storage we spool mic cables on fire hose reels.

Are they REAL fire hose reels, did you get a great deal on some installed and never used ones from a venue that got caught up in the dueling-codes dilemma.  You know like the I think IBC which requires them and the NFPA concept, where they state "We won't use them, and you shouldn't either".  The idea is that if a fire extinguisher or two doesn't solve the problem, get the hell out of the way so they can do the job. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 01:33:17 PM »

Are they REAL fire hose reels, did you get a great deal on some installed and never used ones from a venue that got caught up in the dueling-codes dilemma.  You know like the I think IBC which requires them and the NFPA concept, where they state "We won't use them, and you shouldn't either".  The idea is that if a fire extinguisher or two doesn't solve the problem, get the hell out of the way so they can do the job.

We got them from the Boeing Surplus Store, back before Boeing sold their commercial aviation shop to what is now Spirit Aerosystems and before they closed their military division and moved that work elsewhere (after the city & county gave them major tax abatements to stay).  We had our welding shop mount a base plate and crank handle.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 06:21:42 PM »

They then halved them end for end until they had a manageable length then tied them in a knot ! Any thoughts?
Sadly seen all too often.  A long time ago, I discovered that my wife had "tidied" up all my cables in this fashion - our marriage *just* survived the incident...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 06:21:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.