ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Some 1d10t Paid Stupid Money For A Bass Amp  (Read 10516 times)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Some 1d10t Paid Stupid Money For A Bass Amp
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 04:18:49 AM »

Bassists aren't known for being smart :)

Hiwatt's are certainly works of art in terms of layout and level of meticulousness to detail. While they aren't exactly laid out and done up to what is considered best practice, you won;t find anyone who will argue about how good the amps are made. Interestingly PRS and their recent release the Archon has a very similar layout ( not schematic, just build layout ) and is also a meticulous and very tidy build.

I built an 18 watt TMB into a small box Marshall head and it was a tight fit. To the best of my ability I could not get the lines and the layout anywhere close to this. I can tell you that the builders spent A LOT of time planing the layouts and wire paths to make the runs as simple, short and neat as possible. I am looking to build a Soldano SLO and sooner than that a JTM-45 that I hope I can get a cleaner build out of. You won't catch me dead paying that kind of money for a rig that I know will never see a stage, but some collector somewhere is certainly banking on this unit being worth much more later on. There are so few of them that you can't really even know for sure you want one unless you have played one. Case in point, I got to play through a Matchless Chieftain once and was sold right off the bat. I just couldn't strip $3k out of my fingers for it though...... If I ever come across another one, my hope is that I will be ready to pull the trigger on it. Such a neat amp.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 11:06:34 AM »

Bassists aren't known for being smart :)

Hiwatt's are certainly works of art in terms of layout and level of meticulousness to detail. While they aren't exactly laid out and done up to what is considered best practice, you won;t find anyone who will argue about how good the amps are made. Interestingly PRS and their recent release the Archon has a very similar layout ( not schematic, just build layout ) and is also a meticulous and very tidy build.

I built an 18 watt TMB into a small box Marshall head and it was a tight fit. To the best of my ability I could not get the lines and the layout anywhere close to this. I can tell you that the builders spent A LOT of time planing the layouts and wire paths to make the runs as simple, short and neat as possible. I am looking to build a Soldano SLO and sooner than that a JTM-45 that I hope I can get a cleaner build out of. You won't catch me dead paying that kind of money for a rig that I know will never see a stage, but some collector somewhere is certainly banking on this unit being worth much more later on. There are so few of them that you can't really even know for sure you want one unless you have played one. Case in point, I got to play through a Matchless Chieftain once and was sold right off the bat. I just couldn't strip $3k out of my fingers for it though...... If I ever come across another one, my hope is that I will be ready to pull the trigger on it. Such a neat amp.

Luke, you can get help for your Gear Acquisition Syndrome.  ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 07:12:23 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-Hiwatt-DR405-Bass-400-Vintage-Bass-Amp-KT88-Partridge-Transformers-RARE/282998282173?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Time will tell.  There were SO few HIWATT DR405's built, and they were magnificent machines.  I've heard of several counterfeits, but this one has the appearance of authenticity (cursory inspection of the photos - not to be taken as an appraisal).

I was at the 2010 Vintage Hiwatt Convention where we had THREE original DR405's in the same room.  Actually, inches apart - and with original Jethro Tull bassist, the late great Glenn Cornick sitting on one (see pic).

Then, the owner of one asked if he could hear me playing his LP through his - dimed.  I did - for a very short time.  Then, I waddled to the men's room!

Anyway, I am a HIWATT fan and still own 3 original amps & several 4x12 cabs.  Haven't kept up on market value, but mine wouldn't go cheap...

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 11:08:42 PM »

I was at the 2010 Vintage Hiwatt Convention where we had THREE original DR405's in the same room.  Actually, inches apart - and with original Jethro Tull bassist, the late great Glenn Cornick sitting on one (see pic).
Hmm... white fiberglas tables. That must be a relatively recent picture.

-Dennis

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 11:35:00 PM »

Hmm... white fiberglas tables. That must be a relatively recent picture.

-Dennis
As Dave mentioned (cool pic!), that pic was taken in 2010 (it's even in the metadata :) ). 
The great Mr. Cornick passed in 2014.
Colorado Springs, CO

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 09:16:29 AM »

As Dave mentioned (cool pic!), that pic was taken in 2010 (it's even in the metadata :) ). 
The great Mr. Cornick passed in 2014.

Yes, unfortunately.

I did have the pleasure of savoring an adult beverage or two with Glenn on a post-convention boat ride.  The attached pic, by the way, was taken by Glynn Reeves, son of HIWATT founder Dave Reeves while HI-TONE founder and convention host, Clayton Callaway, piloted the watercraft.

"name dropper" Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 02:31:00 PM »

You think that's stupid money for an amp?  Look up Dumble Overdrive Special.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 12:46:01 AM »

Dumbles are rather pricey, but have recently seen a decline in desire and popularity. If I am not mistaken the two primary guys known for using Dumble amps have since shifted away from them too!! John Mayer and Joe Bonomassa have shifted away from actually using them onstage. John is using more Two Rock units these days ( admittedly Dumble replicas / inspired ) and Joe is back to Fender Tweed era stuff.

If you're into a really unique amp that has an interesting concept and sound check out Bob Gjika Amps. They are also NOT CHEAP, but that sound though...... If you look at some of his videos you can see the blinds moving from all that sound!!!! Crazy for only a couple knobs. Apparently Bob and Ken Fischer of Trainwreck fame used to bounce ideas off each other. Bob is a bit of an audiophile in terms of his builds and ideas about guitar amps, so you could say he is a cross between Ken Fischer and Howard Dumble. Dumble is still alive and making amps, but as an eccentric, he chooses who he makes them for and does not sell them to just whoever contacts him. Bob makes his amp on demand, but it costs about $10k to get a full Gjika rig. I have priced that out too........ I'm sick and I just need one of everything ever made!!!!!
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 07:33:04 AM »

Hi Watt is one of my favorite manufacturers. They used quality parts and kept the BS to a minimum. The 405 is a sterling example of a monster bass amp built in a time when power was king. One of the few companies who could combine power with clean.

Todays rage, with PA systems being what they are, is small low watt amplifiers that have "that" sound, like the little 15 watt Princeton Reverb clones I build and sell.

Luke,

In 1975 I sold my JTM 45 to a friend of mine for $300. He still owns it and it's in pristine condition. He seldom uses the amp and tells me I can buy it back for the low, low price of $30,000.

And if your gas gets really bad I have a couple of Deluxe Reverbs I'll let go for $3K each.

There can never be enough good amps to go around.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 07:33:04 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.