ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Some 1d10t Paid Stupid Money For A Bass Amp  (Read 10633 times)

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: Some 1d10t Paid Stupid Money For A Bass Amp
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 11:42:27 AM »

4 6V6 - wondering if it had plexi-like tones to it? Dr. Z did his take on a Marshall plexi with 4 6V6 with the Remedy amp.

The first HI-TONE model featured a classic HIWATT tone stack powering 4 x 6V6 output tubes.  We tested 6L6, KT66/77/88 and EL34/6CA7's.  To our ears, the 6V6 had the right characteristics, at lower SPLs.  And, whether it was mass hypnosis or not, having four power tubes sounded fuller than two (of relatively equal power).

In any case, 6V6's have more grunt (and, granted, less chime) than the EL84's that are found in many lower power amps.  Leo Fender got it right with the Deluxe Reverb.  Everything else is just a tweak one way or the other, IMHO.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 05:38:43 PM »

There are some Fryette/VHT amps with EL84s and a sort of Hiwatt voicing to them.  Problem is getting good EL84s.  For a tube originally developed to go in car radios the ones made currently fall apart pretty quickly in a vibrating guitar amp.  I could pick up brand new ones tap them and hear rattling.  Find a good set and the amp might be great for awhile (the favorite EL84 amp I had was a Mesa Maverick) but in short order they'd get loose inside and the amp would get brittle and harsh.
6V6s are just more durable.  Although you have to be careful with B+ levels as older Fenders were wound for 110VAC input and at 120 the resultant >450V B+ is more than many current tubes can handle.  At least they don't mechanically fall apart.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 05:44:54 PM »

There are some Fryette/VHT amps with EL84s and a sort of Hiwatt voicing to them.  Problem is getting good EL84s.  For a tube originally developed to go in car radios the ones made currently fall apart pretty quickly in a vibrating guitar amp.  I could pick up brand new ones tap them and hear rattling.  Find a good set and the amp might be great for awhile (the favorite EL84 amp I had was a Mesa Maverick) but in short order they'd get loose inside and the amp would get brittle and harsh.
6V6s are just more durable.  Although you have to be careful with B+ levels as older Fenders were wound for 110VAC input and at 120 the resultant >450V B+ is more than many current tubes can handle.  At least they don't mechanically fall apart.

The old GE MASTR I mobiles had EL84's in them (along with an final output tube that I have forgotten)  they used a dynamotor to generator the plate voltage (B+) you only flipped that ready onto your hand once to remember that experience.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2018, 11:27:58 PM »

Joe changed up again. He must be on the hunt. I had 1 Dumble ODS come onto my stage over the years and the player was very good, but the sound was not what I would say " MUST HAVE ", but it did sound good. I myself have a hard time placing value on a product that is admittedly a copy ( derived from at least ) of another unit and then secret sauce ( GOOP ) slathered all over the amp and then the price marked up just because you made / make an amp that you hand tune to fit the client you know will sell it for you.

You could say that Howard ( Alexander or whatever name he has decided it is this year ) is a genius, or just straight loony, but he does make one hell of an amp.  The way he was able to create value in his amps makes for a good story at least. I have just noticed that many people that have been in a direct purchaser relationship with Dumble, have started offloading or not using their amps in the past several years. People that were once known for using Dumbles have stopped and you can find a used one quite readily if you so desire albeit with the cost still associated. Teh one that came across my stage was acquired at a price that a gigging musician could afford to swing. As best as I could tell ( and I looked hard ) it was legit.

My taste in amps changes daily and mostly upon mood or desired " sound ", but I still appreciate a good amp when I hear it. I am very much guitar straight into the amp kind of guy and as much as I wish I could get a Soldano SLO to be a Plexi, a modern American Metal, and a Perfect Fender clean amp, it simply isn't. So I own 15 guitars ( and growing ) and more amps than I can count on one hand ( and growing )!!!!!! Guitars and amps are like Pokemon; you gotta catch em all
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 07:36:58 AM »

Steve,
I recommend Electro Harmonix or Genalex Gold Lion 6V6 tubes. You'll be very happy with either one. EL84's are always a toss up.

https://www.thetubestore.com/genalex-gold-lion-6v6gt-cv511

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feIkWtC6GTI
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2018, 07:40:24 AM »

Bonamassa is using new Fender Custom JB '59 Twin Amps.  I caught the show in Midland TX last month and he had 3 or 4 of them on stage.

https://www.gearnews.com/fender-limited-edition-joe-bonamassa-59-twin-amp-finally-available/

JB also has a Super Reverb he is very partial to, usually pairing that up with an ES-345 he'll use on occasions.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2018, 02:09:20 PM »

Luke, the last guy I know that bought a Dumble amp paid $3300 for a 100W combo that came sans speaker.  He was a bit of a moneyed clod who grumbled back that there was no reverb and why wasn't there a speaker in it.  Dumble told him that he should know what kind of speaker he likes the sound of and put that in there.  Reverb would involve outboard and a Dumblator buffer, but don't bother trying to order one.  I think it was around this time that Dumble got tired of dealing with civilians who would buy the amp and then complain that they didn't sound like Robben or Larry.  So he stopped altogether.  Retreating to servicing his varsity clientele and occasionally modding something for a session guy.  This is what drove the street prices for the 200 odd ones that were built into the stratosphere.  And by default created the Dumble clone industry.

Yeah Bob, I've had EH 6V6s in my DR for years now with no issues.  I did lose a NOS Mullard I had as a reverb driver which I replaced with a new Russian Tung-Sol.  I do have an Allen Accomplice PT in there so the B+ is reasonable.  Can't remember exactly what it is but I got around 28W on the bench at the onset of clipping.
Do you have a 6L6 recommendation?  When the original Svetlanas in my Fuchs wore out I put TADs in there.  Not quite as good but okay.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2018, 08:04:22 PM »

My first choice is RCA or GE NOS, however, the price is ridiculous and in most cases now quality is a subject, especially when most people who sell NOS should be omitting the N and just sell the tubes as vintage but untested.

My go to for a 6l6 that always does a first class job is the Groove Tubes GE. I have never had an issue and the sound is far, far better than almost any tube you can buy.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts/amp-parts/amp-tubes/gt-6l6-ge-duets-rated-1-10/5550113503.html#prefn1=style&prefv1=6L6+Tubes&cgidx=parts-tubes&start=1

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2018, 06:33:17 PM »

+1 on Groove Tubes 6L6. Dr. Z uses JJ EL84's and they seem to be working fine in my MAZ 18 and before that the Mini Z.

For 6V6, I really like the Mazda NOS 6V6, but Mike K has plenty of other options: http://www.kcanostubes.com/catalog/21

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2018, 10:31:06 AM »

For 6V6, I really like the Mazda NOS 6V6, but Mike K has plenty of other options: http://www.kcanostubes.com/catalog/21

Haven't shopped for vintage tubes in awhile.  NOS 6V6's were the last reasonably priced guitar amp tubes - but, I guess that time has passed.  Glad I stocked up when RCA's were cheap!

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2018, 10:31:06 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.