ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Different slant on IEM pullouts  (Read 4638 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: Different slant on IEM pullouts
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 02:05:48 PM »

It's a knock off, not a real Senny.
Yeah. LOL! Either that, or the sales department at Sennheisers have gone off the rails!
Picture is labeled as xiaofega0.  Could be the retailer (not!)
A competitor to this phony is labeled on the transmitter and receiver as a FLZXJY.
Something fishy... Maybe a flounder. Probably working for SCALE. :P

If I can't pronounce it, I probably will not buy it.  No, that's not true, either...  I can't pronounce most acronyms. i.e., EAW, JBL

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 04:31:26 PM »

If I can't pronounce it, I probably will not buy it.  No, that's not true, either...  I can't pronounce most acronyms. i.e., EAW, JBL

Eeeew! Gerbil!
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 05:30:07 PM »

Yeah. LOL! Either that, or the sales department at Sennheisers have gone off the rails!
Picture is labeled as xiaofega0.  Could be the retailer (not!)
A competitor to this phony is labeled on the transmitter and receiver as a FLZXJY.
Something fishy... Maybe a flounder. Probably working for SCALE. :P

"There was something fishy about the butler, probably a Pisces, playing for scale."  - The Fire Sign Theatre

I took their line and ran with it, taking a swipe at the 4 string LF guitarists:

"There's something fishy about the *bass* (like the fish) player, probably a Pisces, playing for scale."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 06:04:15 PM »

I may be missing something here, you have four band members and only two IEM systems, are some members sharing a mix or are some of them on hardwired IEM packs.

You mention four mono channels after the two IEM's. Are you sending four mixes by using the stereo inputs on the IEM transmitters and then the band members use the focus mode on the belt pack to select between the two mixes on their channel to get the one they need.

frank kayser

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 10:52:44 AM »

"There was something fishy about the butler, probably a Pisces, playing for scale."  - The Fire Sign Theatre

I took their line and ran with it, taking a swipe at the 4 string LF guitarists:

"There's something fishy about the *bass* (like the fish) player, probably a Pisces, playing for scale."

Mea culpa.  Worn memories.  Intellectual interlude.  Good swipe!

frank kayser

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 10:09:02 AM »

I may be missing something here, you have four band members and only two IEM systems, are some members sharing a mix or are some of them on hardwired IEM packs.

You mention four mono channels after the two IEM's. Are you sending four mixes by using the stereo inputs on the IEM transmitters and then the band members use the focus mode on the belt pack to select between the two mixes on their channel to get the one they need.
Sorry I did not answer your question, Mike. 
Correct I'm using FOCUS mode on the receivers to make four mono IEMS out of two transmitters.  Basically bought two IEM sets with two receivers each.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 10:42:23 AM »

...The first is the aforementioned Occlusion Effect, which is a MUCH bigger problem than you may think. 

This may help others (like me) to understand the effect.  Is this like covering your ears with your hands and singing?

-Dennis

Occlusion Effect
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:53:14 AM by Dennis Wiggins »

frank kayser

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 10:46:35 AM »

This may help others (like me) to understand the effect.  Is this like covering your ears with your hands and singing?

[ url=https://starkeypro.com/pdfs/sas/A-Forgotten-Technique-For-Resolving-The-Occlusion-Effect.pdf ]Occlusion Effect[ /url ]

-Dennis
That's my understanding.  Now that you mention it, it would be helpful moving forward to make sure we're speaking the same language.  Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 02:58:27 PM »

-Dennis

Occlusion Effect

It is.

Essentially, when you close off your ear, your ear canal becomes a resonant chamber. This chamber will make your voice sound more than just muffled, it will actually resonate at certain frequencies depending on bone conduction and other things.  And the larger the "chamber" is [in my experience], the worse the problem is.

This becomes a particularly sticky issue when mixing IEMs because the person is the only one that can hear it.  So they'll report to the ME that their voice sounds "muffled" or Boxy" or whatever, and the ME will think they're just being finicky since he/she can't hear it.

Now mix that resonance with a few milliseconds of latency and you've got all kinds of weird comb filtering and other stuff going on in your ear.  And it's different for every person.  Joy.

When i first started using and mixing my own IEMs i got to experience all of this first hand, and it's a very real and definite issue that has to be solved differently depending on the artist.  For me, running my IEMs a touch hotter and actually ADDING a couple ms of delay on my vocal mic helped a good bit.  But fixing it for some of my other singers required all sorts of different solutions.  And some never had an issue at all.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 02:58:27 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.