ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resource for these?  (Read 3161 times)

David Allred

Resource for these?
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:49:52 AM »

Looking for this.  It is a $1 part, but $12+ to ship from Chauvet.  Anyone know of other resources, maybe a local retail type or online that will not ship in a oversized box?  I've found NPT versions that I can adapt, but prefer to not have to.

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
Re: Resource for these?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 01:22:03 PM »

Looking for this.  It is a $1 part, but $12+ to ship from Chauvet.  Anyone know of other resources, maybe a local retail type or online that will not ship in a oversized box?  I've found NPT versions that I can adapt, but prefer to not have to.

Looks a bit like an airstone in a fish tank. I expect it's a filter of some sort. Maybe check an aquarium supply?

--Kevin

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 03:03:23 PM »

Looks a bit like an airstone in a fish tank. I expect it's a filter of some sort. Maybe check an aquarium supply?

--Kevin

I considered that, but the aquarium  air stones appear to be very fine (restrictive) to only allow minimal air to pass.  The stones like the ones shown are for fast exhaust to serve as mufflers that are useful as liquid filters.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 03:49:57 PM »

If it were a $13 part with $1 shipping would that be ok?

Remember you aren't paying for the part.  You are paying for the logistics system that stores and can find the parts and deliver them to you.

Time is money.  Pay the money, move on.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 04:36:06 PM »

What does that do?  If it's just pressure equalization to reduce condensation, then high flow isn't an issue.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

David Allred

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 04:57:31 PM »

What does that do?  If it's just pressure equalization to reduce condensation, then high flow isn't an issue.

Fog fluid filter to keep large bits from getting sucked into the pump and heater.

David Allred

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 05:03:50 PM »

If it were a $13 part with $1 shipping would that be ok?

Remember you aren't paying for the part.  You are paying for the logistics system that stores and can find the parts and deliver them to you.

Time is money.  Pay the money, move on.

But it is a $1 part that I would like to buy local at Sears, Lowe's, or Bob's Hydraulic repair.  I can adapt what is available (M-NPT) for 2 bucks more.

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 05:35:21 PM »

Looks like a sintered bronze fuel filter for RC planes (etc.)
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

David Allred

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 05:54:49 PM »

Looks like a sintered bronze fuel filter for RC planes (etc.)

Bingo.  This why I love this forum.   Soundmen have hobbies too.  Thanks

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 05:55:09 PM »

Chain saws and weed eaters have a similar type of filter on the end of a piece hose in the fuel tanks.

The hose fitting size maybe too small though at least on the ones I have replaced.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 06:12:53 PM »

But it is a $1 part that I would like to buy local at Sears, Lowe's, or Bob's Hydraulic repair.  I can adapt what is available (M-NPT) for 2 bucks more.

You could probably take that part around to all of those stores and see what they have that might work, but for the $10 difference in price you could get the right part delivered. For $10 I wouldn't drive to Sears, or Lowes, or Bob's Hydraulic if I needed to fix a device that I make money with.

Mac

David Allred

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 09:21:32 PM »

You could probably take that part around to all of those stores and see what they have that might work, but for the $10 difference in price you could get the right part delivered. For $10 I wouldn't drive to Sears, or Lowes, or Bob's Hydraulic if I needed to fix a device that I make money with.

Mac

Valid and logical.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 09:30:28 PM »

For $10 I wouldn't drive to Sears, or Lowes, or Bob's Hydraulic if I needed to fix a device that I make money with.

I might also see how many more $1 parts I could get in the same box that would ship for $12...  If a dozen, for example, shipping cost has magically been amortized to $1 per part!

May as well stock up to avoid going through the process again.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

David Allred

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 09:50:43 AM »

I might also see how many more $1 parts I could get in the same box that would ship for $12...  If a dozen, for example, shipping cost has magically been amortized to $1 per part!

May as well stock up to avoid going through the process again.

Dave

I bet a lot more than a dozen.  If this were a replacement of a failed part, buying more would be obvious in this case.
But, here's the tragic (and maybe interesting to some) story.
The fog machine is owned by an FFC.  It was an effect in an "alien" environment, but that location happened to be where the HVAC return's smoke sensor was.   I was able to use fast dissipating fluid and duct the smoke to limit billowing which kept the effect low-ish and away from the sensor.  To prevent running dry an external 13 gal tank was added.  The filter was put in the external, as is should.   It was engineered in heating season and the alarm started going off when they started using AC.  (Cold air drops to the floor and pushes the fog up to the sensor.  Hot air stays high creates a "barrier".  At least that is my theory.)  They fought it for a few weeks and decide to stop using it.  They used it again for their Haunted attraction, farther from the return which allowed more time for the fog to dissipate.  The fogger and the ext tank remained in their out-of-sight locations year round.  After a few years they decided to stop doing the Halloween event.  This meant no fog.   In a massive clean-up the fog system was put into storage.  Someone decided that the 13 gallon tank (clear Lowe's storage tote) with the tubing access hole was no longer usable.  It was file 13'd along with the extension tubing and filter.
Since, they have installed a laser tag arena and had the smoke sensor replaced with a temp rise type.  Now they are fogging like crazy.  I warned them about the filter and have noticed small black flakes in the bottom of the onboard tank.  I assume bits from the rubber siphon tube.  I just unclogged the fogger that had stopped outputting.  I have to convince them that the filter "probably" was the culprit and they need to replace it.
I would have eaten the $1 (even $2, $3, $4), but not the disproportional shipping. 

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 10:14:04 AM »

Bingo.  This why I love this forum.   Soundmen have hobbies too.  Thanks

You're welcome. Not my hobby, though. I just recognized the similarity between the pictured filter and the head of an AKG D202, and remembered the terminology for that filtering material. I let google image search do the rest of the work. That's my hobby.

AKG dual-transducer mics: http://www.preservationsound.com/?p=7020
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 01:18:34 PM »

Mac

Several years ago someone on a different forum for electricians pointed out that if your hourly rate is $50 hour give or take your time is worth roughly a buck a minute.  How much (for that industry) do you actually save by buying at a big box vs supply house.  In my case, delivery was free-that adjusted a lot of my thought on pinching pennies on a money making venture.  But even here-if you spent 30 minutes trying to save $12 shipping, was it a wise move?
Steve Swaffer

David Allred

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 04:43:56 PM »

But even here-if you spent 30 minutes trying to save $12 shipping, was it a wise move?
I suppose it would depend on what one would otherwise spend that time on, and how it cascades out into a hierarchy of priorities.  The psychology of your question is quite deep.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 05:02:09 PM »

I suppose it would depend on what one would otherwise spend that time on, and how it cascades out into a hierarchy of priorities.  The psychology of your question is quite deep.

The value of your commercial time does not change, only your willingness to work for less or nothing for whatever reason(s) you find to your liking.

That said, I have chastised my employer for pissing away hours fixing mic cables when he makes the company (and employees) far more than he saves if he were on the phone selling our services.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Noah D Mitchell

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 04:33:35 PM »

The value of your commercial time does not change, only your willingness to work for less or nothing for whatever reason(s) you find to your liking.

That said, I have chastised my employer for pissing away hours fixing mic cables when he makes the company (and employees) far more than he saves if he were on the phone selling our services.

I had a similar conversation with the (extremely well-pad) owner of an auto-body shop who would spend hours each week hand-washing his personal vehicles, when he could pay the local mobile-detailer 20$ to come do it. How much is your time worth?

David Allred

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 04:49:42 PM »

I had a similar conversation with the (extremely well-pad) owner of an auto-body shop who would spend hours each week hand-washing his personal vehicles, when he could pay the local mobile-detailer 20$ to come do it. How much is your time worth?
His time washing his cars must give him more purpose.  Can't blame someone for that.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 04:49:42 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.