ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Trade show / Conference (church) Tips 'n Tricks  (Read 1718 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Trade show / Conference (church) Tips 'n Tricks
« on: June 19, 2018, 02:30:14 pm »

I'm pushing my business & comfort zone in a professional way.

I'm attending (as a vendor) a Church trade show / conference put on by the Church Sound Media Techs' Facebook group (40k+ members) down in Orlando CSMT Conference in July 13th.

I'll be teaching a couple of lighting classes. (another post)
Representing my company/myself.
Getting leads, etc.
Demoing my A&H SQ6 sound board and Jands Vista.

Additionally, I recently attended the FILO conference and gained some insight into a similar conference.

---

Any ideas/thoughts on how to best represent my company and myself?

Talking to people
Pitching ideas
Gaining business
Personal development

---

Really curious what y'all have to say :)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Trade show / Conference (church) Tips 'n Tricks
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 08:29:59 pm »

---

Don't get drunk and run around with a lampshade on your head.

Seriously, you never know who you are going to run into.  You are a smart guy, listen to what they want to talk about and see what opportunities come up.

I have never found that deals are made at trade shows.  Generally connections are strengthened and new ones made.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman
River Delta Audio is now:

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Pluke

• BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 10:43:41 pm »

Talking to people
Pitching ideas
Gaining business
Personal development

---

Well, definitely have your "elevator speech" ready.

The conferences I've presented at have frowned upon overtly selling during classes/sessions.  Fine to establish your experience and authority to speak on the topic, but avoid making attendees feel like they paid money to hear a sales pitch.  Keep things as generic as possible, lest you offend proponents of particular brands.  Of course, a presentation on the SQ6 would be a different case.

Have your presentations honed.  Avoid going down rabbit holes.  If someone asks a potentially derailing question, offer to discuss it off-line or during the Q&A.

Beyond that, be open to conversations.  Start them, if no one else has.  Something as simple as "Where are you from?" or "What have you learned at the conference so far?" can get things rolling.

And, cards.  Yes, good old analog paper business cards.  Have lots on hand, to hand out.  Ask for cards in return and scribble a quick note on the back to refresh your memory upon follow-up.

Good luck!
Dave

...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 10:47:52 pm »

Don't get drunk and run around with a lampshade on your head.

I have never found that deals are made at trade shows.

Hahaha I'll endevor to not do that :) your humor is awesome, really a fresh reprieve in a sometimes dry and technical forum.

I think that's the general consensus from this forum.

Some of my drive to go is to force myself to get better with people. I'm not a people person for sure, but forcing myself to talk to people will help me do that

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 11:31:13 pm »

Hahaha I'll endevor to not do that :) your humor is awesome, really a fresh reprieve in a sometimes dry and technical forum.

I think that's the general consensus from this forum.

Some of my drive to go is to force myself to get better with people. I'm not a people person for sure, but forcing myself to talk to people will help me do that

Certainly conducting a break out session is a great way to push your people skills.

30 years ago the trade shows were the bomb.  I remember one year at Telocator (Paging and Cellular) we had a private gig with Kenny Loggins in the Motorola reception, NEC the feasted us with lobster, the largest crab claws I had ever seen the the Norwegians at Ericsson, then trying to penetrate the American market.  They had this bizarre ice cream social theme with some form of anice (sp?) liquor, they kept climbing on the tables and making toasts.  It was quite memorable.  I even managed to bring some company back to the room (I was single and skinny then).  Chicago Hilton, never will forget that trip.

Once I moved to the vendor side of the aisle trade shows are synonymous with long hours and sore feat.  You have to have a polished elevator story.   I hope I never have to work a trade show again. 

You are kind of in the middle.  I am sure you will enjoy yourself and give a great presentation.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman
River Delta Audio is now:

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 08:11:06 am »

Well, definitely have your "elevator speech" ready.

The conferences I've presented at have frowned upon overtly selling during classes/sessions.  Fine to establish your experience and authority to speak on the topic, but avoid making attendees feel like they paid money to hear a sales pitch.  Keep things as generic as possible, lest you offend proponents of particular brands.  Of course, a presentation on the SQ6 would be a different case.

Have your presentations honed.  Avoid going down rabbit holes.  If someone asks a potentially derailing question, offer to discuss it off-line or during the Q&A.

Beyond that, be open to conversations.  Start them, if no one else has.  Something as simple as "Where are you from?" or "What have you learned at the conference so far?" can get things rolling.

And, cards.  Yes, good old analog paper business cards.  Have lots on hand, to hand out.  Ask for cards in return and scribble a quick note on the back to refresh your memory upon follow-up.

Good luck!
Dave

Thanks for the tips Dave :)

Personally, I think elevator speeches are kinda dumb these days. People are looking for real/authentic. But I guess a short paragraph or two about me and my company is good. Maybe that's what's meant by elevator speech. I've always thought they meant "sales pitch."

I agree, for my presentation on lights I plan on giving my background, but I don't plan on bringin my company up besides that. Good point about brands too, thanks.

I'll definitely write it out and practice a few times infront of the mirror/family. I want to do it well not 'wing it'. My 4H presentation days have engrained that into me.

I love me some business cards :)

---

A few further thoughts/questions.

I'm thining about bringing 25x 4g flashdrives as souvineers I can get on Vistaprint for ~$4

I'm also thinking of 50-25x pens (If I can get cheap).

Lastly, should I do a drawing (say for a mic) so I can get contact info or just ask for info, or have people write it down.
(I'm not overly concerned with getting info from anyone as most of the contacts will be in Orlando, not really ready to travel down there for weeks/months at a time. [I still have a day job])

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 09:45:54 am »

The "elevator speech" or elevator pitch is meant to be short enough that it conveys the message before the intended victim can get off the elevator.

Typically a sales, resume or CV speech to get the listener to agree to a meeting, interview or appointment with a subordinate.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 10:18:03 am »

The "elevator speech" or elevator pitch is meant to be short enough that it conveys the message before the intended victim can get off the elevator.

Typically a sales, resume or CV speech to get the listener to agree to a meeting, interview or appointment with a subordinate.

Hah, so I was right! People hate those   :D

I'll just say my sig and see where the convo goes   ;D

Dave Pluke

• BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 10:45:32 am »

I'm thining about bringing 25x 4g flashdrives as souvineers I can get on Vistaprint for ~$4

I'm also thinking of 50-25x pens (If I can get cheap).

Lastly, should I do a drawing (say for a mic) so I can get contact info or just ask for info, or have people write it down.

Flashdrives are always popular.  Years ago, I made it a goal to never BUY another pen, but to live off the "tradeshow trinkets" I'd acquired.  Still working off my stash.  Also consider the venue for focused items.  In Las Vegas, for example, company-labeled lip balm is a popular giveaway.  Gum and mints work almost everywhere (thank you!).

Many shows have scanners for attendee badges to eliminate the need to collect cards in a bowl.  I don't know if they're at additional cost, though.

I think the classic "elevator pitch" has evolved for most people.  In essence, have a clear and concise response to the question; "So what do YOU do?".

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 10:46:53 am »

Hah, so I was right! People hate those   :D

I'll just say my sig and see where the convo goes   ;D

It doesn't have to be a negative experience and you're not pitching to a captive audience of 1 person.

The point is to reduce whatever info into 30 seconds or less.  Become an economizer with words.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 10:46:53 am »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 24 queries.