ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Amp Shop -San Bernadino, CA  (Read 6098 times)

Michael Kurczeski

Re: The Amp Shop -San Bernadino, CA
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 07:33:32 AM »

No disrespect, but there is something odd about your friend's story about a university paying $8000 up front for a distro. I was involved in college/university academia for over 35 years and responsible for placing hundreds of purchase orders. To get someone to sign off for payment in advance of receiving the merchandise is nearly impossible. If someone at the university did that, they deserve what happened.

Jim is the guy who wanted payment up front and I vouched for him. This was the Wesleyan University in indiana. I think "deserved what happened to them" is a pretty ridiculous statement and victim blaming. They asked me where to get a distro like the one I had, and I told them who and where I got it from.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 08:18:19 AM »

Shoddy QC.  Not every fault on every component but all needed to be checked after we found the initial issues.

Our first order was fine but subsequent orders were met with diminishing quality, delayed deliveries, etc until we went with another vendor, "Fightingtheforcesofdarkness.com"

As for building... buying an Ampshop or DimmerRack distro means no UL sticker on the assembly so DIY is a matter of metal work and conformity to Code and best practices.  We've built a few in our shop and decided the potential liability wasn't worth the money saved.
As of NEC 2017, homebrew/non-listed shop work doesn't meet code even if it otherwise meets code.

You might get away with it for a while, but that risk coupled with the other risks of whether you'll even get the distro you paid for from said "craftsman" and the risk of whether it will even work or be wired correctly seems to be a false economy.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 08:24:37 AM »

I think "deserved what happened to them" is a pretty ridiculous statement and victim blaming.
I make no judgment about your particular situation, however there is a point where after a certain amount of bad publicity, the onus shifts to the customer/victim.

The legality issues of home-made/non-listed-shop-made distros as well as the business practices of ampshop.com have been discussed thoroughly enough and often enough on PSW that by now regular posters should know better.

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice...can't get fooled again.

Dave Batistig

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 08:43:40 AM »

I make no judgment about your particular situation, however there is a point where after a certain amount of bad publicity, the onus shifts to the customer/victim.

The legality issues of home-made/non-listed-shop-made distros as well as the business practices of ampshop.com have been discussed thoroughly enough and often enough on PSW that by now regular posters should know better.

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice...can't get fooled again.

I am in the "cant get fooled again" column. There will be no second chance for Amp Shop with me. As far as "user built" distros, I am a degreed Electrical Engineer and I know power, but I still won't do it. I have Motion Labs getting me a quote together now.

Michael Kurczeski

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 10:21:03 AM »

I am in the "cant get fooled again" column. There will be no second chance for Amp Shop with me. As far as "user built" distros, I am a degreed Electrical Engineer and I know power, but I still won't do it. I have Motion Labs getting me a quote together now.

Up until the point of him ripping off the university, he always delivered the product. Some just took longer than others with a BS story to go with it. Can't say fooled me once applies here. I had no reason to believe he wouldn't deliver. like I said...I had been buying distros and racs pacs from him for years. obviously I will never deal with him again. using Linkusa-inc.com for my distro needs now.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:28:32 AM by Michael Kurczeski »

Dave Batistig

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »

Up until the point of him ripping off the university, he always delivered the product. Some just took longer than others with a BS story to go with it. Can't say fooled me once applies here. I had no reason to believe he wouldn't deliver. like I said...I had been buying distros and racs pacs from him for years. obviously I will never deal with him again. using Linkusa-inc.com for my distro needs now.

In the interest of fairness to Jim and The Amp Shop, I believe it necessary to report that I did get my second distro this week, so he has fulfilled my order, albeit very late relative to when it was placed and paid for.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 09:57:29 AM »

In the interest of fairness to Jim and The Amp Shop, I believe it necessary to report that I did get my second distro this week, so he has fulfilled my order, albeit very late relative to when it was placed and paid for.
Glad to hear it.  I hope it checks out OK.

Dave Batistig

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 05:54:53 PM »

Glad to hear it.  I hope it checks out OK.

It did...we took the back cover off in the shop today and double checked all connections then powered it up. I am happy to report it was 100%.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 05:54:53 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.