ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Amp Shop -San Bernadino, CA  (Read 6096 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: The Amp Shop -San Bernadino, CA
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 02:28:37 PM »

I get that I wasn't going to get Motion Labs / LEX quality for the price I paid...
At the risk of sounding like a shill, I would direct anyone looking for distro gear that is electrically sound and UL-listed but would rather pay less for that privilege than the established players to check out Whirlwind's distro gear.  Their rack-mount distros can get expensive, but most folks primarily doing audio can almost certainly live with much less than that.  Particularly look at the SKB case distros. 

One major source of cost is the main breaker - the 400A, 200A or 100A breaker is mind-blowingly expensive, and can probably be eliminated, potentialy saving you a couple thousand dollars.

YMMV, friends don't let friends use crappy distros, etc.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 05:13:19 PM by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

Dave Batistig

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 03:15:20 PM »

At the risk of sounding like a shill, I would direct anyone looking for distro gear that is electrically sound and UL-listed but would rather pay less for that privilege than the established players to check out Whirlwind's distro gear.  Their rack-mount distros can get expensive, but most folks primarily doing audio can almost certainly live with much less than that.  Particularly look at the SKB case distros. 

Once major source of cost is the main breaker - the 400A, 200A or 100A breaker is mind-blowingly expensive, and can probably be eliminated, potentialy saving you a couple thousand dollars.

Full Disclosure: I did manage to get in touch with Jim...called him from a different cell number and ironically..he answered on the 2nd ring. I do have a tracking number for what i hope is both my distros.. Supposed to be delivered today via Fed Ex. I'll report back what transpires.

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 03:31:27 PM »

Full Disclosure: I did manage to get in touch with Jim...called him from a different cell number and ironically..he answered on the 2nd ring. I do have a tracking number for what i hope is both my distros.. Supposed to be delivered today via Fed Ex. I'll report back what transpires.
Whatever you receive, make sure you thoroughly check it out before placing it into service. I have received stuff from Ampshop that was miswired (30a breakers wired to 20a outlets, and vice versa).

Dave Batistig

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 04:16:58 PM »

Whatever you receive, make sure you thoroughly check it out before placing it into service. I have received stuff from Ampshop that was miswired (30a breakers wired to 20a outlets, and vice versa).

We are in the process of doing that right now. The one unit arrived about an hour ago. No tracking info on the second unit, which was supposed to ship at the same time.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 04:30:56 PM »

Once major source of cost is the main breaker - the 400A, 200A or 100A breaker is mind-blowingly expensive, and can probably be eliminated, potentialy saving you a couple thousand dollars.

As a satisfied dealer of Whirlwind products, I completely agree with you. They are able to take design requests in stride and still deliver a UL approved product. I took special note too of the "suitcase" distros they had displayed at Infocomm.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Michael Kurczeski

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 07:25:15 PM »

I have dealt with Jim for many years and ordered many distros. Always happy with the work but he burned a friend of mine last year and fell of the face of the earth. I had recommended him and they ordered a distro for a university in Indiana. Months and months went by and he told them a car drove through his shop, he wasn’t fulfilling orders and was waiting for an insurance payout. He would not give a refund and never shipped the distro.
After that, he’s been unreachable either by phone or email. The university paid him up front approx $8000 for the distro.

Whatever happened to him, he’s off the deep end and also a liar. Can’t tell you how many times I had to badger him to ship my orders. He always wanted to be paid upfront in full and I stopped doing that after a while cause he would take forvever. It was also common for him to lie to me and say Fedex lost the shipment, blah blah blah. It’s a shame cause he was a nice guy and I liked dealing with him but he turned out to be a real POS.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:37:39 PM by Michael Kurczeski »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 08:01:57 PM »

^^^ THIS ^^^ RIGHT ^^^ HERE ^^^

Also phase swapping (X isn't X on the other end...), loosely mounted circuit breakers, loose set screws on connectors, ground/neutral swaps.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 07:44:32 PM »

^^^ THIS ^^^ RIGHT ^^^ HERE ^^^

Also phase swapping (X isn't X on the other end...), loosely mounted circuit breakers, loose set screws on connectors, ground/neutral swaps.

Jeez.  If you have to do all that you might as well build it yourself.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 11:28:10 PM »

Jeez.  If you have to do all that you might as well build it yourself.

Shoddy QC.  Not every fault on every component but all needed to be checked after we found the initial issues.

Our first order was fine but subsequent orders were met with diminishing quality, delayed deliveries, etc until we went with another vendor, "Fightingtheforcesofdarkness.com"

As for building... buying an Ampshop or DimmerRack distro means no UL sticker on the assembly so DIY is a matter of metal work and conformity to Code and best practices.  We've built a few in our shop and decided the potential liability wasn't worth the money saved.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 12:11:24 AM »

I have dealt with Jim for many years and ordered many distros. Always happy with the work but he burned a friend of mine last year and fell of the face of the earth. I had recommended him and they ordered a distro for a university in Indiana. Months and months went by and he told them a car drove through his shop, he wasn’t fulfilling orders and was waiting for an insurance payout. He would not give a refund and never shipped the distro.
After that, he’s been unreachable either by phone or email. The university paid him up front approx $8000 for the distro.

Whatever happened to him, he’s off the deep end and also a liar. Can’t tell you how many times I had to badger him to ship my orders. He always wanted to be paid upfront in full and I stopped doing that after a while cause he would take forvever. It was also common for him to lie to me and say Fedex lost the shipment, blah blah blah. It’s a shame cause he was a nice guy and I liked dealing with him but he turned out to be a real POS.
No disrespect, but there is something odd about your friend's story about a university paying $8000 up front for a distro. I was involved in college/university academia for over 35 years and responsible for placing hundreds of purchase orders. To get someone to sign off for payment in advance of receiving the merchandise is nearly impossible. If someone at the university did that, they deserve what happened.
Scott Hofmann

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 12:11:24 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.