ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey System Update  (Read 7076 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Peavey System Update
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 11:24:53 AM »

A month or so back there was a listing in the Saint Louis area for that exact system (used) for $4500.  That price included castors on the subs and covers for all for cabinets!  I didn't buy it because I'm not ready to sell off what I have and start over, but I thought about it.  That is a high quality PA for not very much money.  I got to hear the SRX828P in one of the live music tents at the State Fair last weekend, and a pair of them per side thumped a pretty large beer tent very well.  Tops were 4 x VRX per side.

Yeah three STX828S a side keeps up with ground stacked dual 10" Muse210's but now we are going the whole next level.

I thing the SRX828P is basically equivalant to the STX version at 1/2 the price depending on the amp you power them with.  They do have a driver with a higher power rating but the STX line was cut when the new SRX passives were introduced.

The STX's fill the gap between the QSC KW stuff and the full on Meyer/Muse rig. 

This forum has been invaluable for picking the right gear. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tom Burgess

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 03:38:09 PM »

Speakers are voiced to work together in a series.  You have a really decent rock and roll system.  It probably sounds "gutsy" for lack of a better word.

I don't think you would be happy at all with the old PRX418's.  All the passive PRX's are just OK.  The powered ones are decent.  However it is at best a lateral move.

If you want to jump up a step sell your gear as a system and get a pair of SRX835P and SRX828P now that would be a huge weight savings and a major sonic upgrade.
Warning, slight swerve approaching...

I think the PRX418S may be the unsung hero of the PRX-4XX lineup.  JBL allegedly designed the cab around an existing Selenium driver in an effort to market an affordable MI-market sub that actually sounded decent without having the R&D expense of a new driver.  Granted I've only used them on a couple of occasions but thought that they performed rather nicely, particularly considering their price point. I think they'd make a killing if they'd produce a 2X18 of similar ilk.

Swerve over.

Back to the topic - I totally agree with what you're saying here... no reason to mix the line of cabs he has now with something else.  Better to make a wholesale change in one fell swoop if you really feel inclined to make a change.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 07:53:37 PM »

The PRX 400 series to my knowledge uses all the same components as the 500 series, but is of course without any kind of amplification and subsequently built in DSP. I was rather fond of the PRX 512M's I had. They required very little work to simply work. The PRX 518 subs I had were also rather nice. They didn't get very loud, but I could take them pretty far. Subs are not generally as problematic as mains to tune, but if you have to do lots of cutting and boosting to get a flat response you will eat potential SPL. The PRX subs were not exactly flat, but they had a predictable sound that worked well enough. They sounded good compared to other subs in their market, but the lack of potential SPL was the crux of them. They just didn't have the range and SPL to really win out.

I concur with Tom and others though, if you are already invested in the Peavey line, may as well stick with it. Get another DSP amp like your current one and you will be happy.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Victor Estrada

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2018, 12:49:09 PM »

Warning, slight swerve approaching...

I think the PRX418S may be the unsung hero of the PRX-4XX lineup.  JBL allegedly designed the cab around an existing Selenium driver in an effort to market an affordable MI-market sub that actually sounded decent without having the R&D expense of a new driver.  Granted I've only used them on a couple of occasions but thought that they performed rather nicely, particularly considering their price point. I think they'd make a killing if they'd produce a 2X18 of similar ilk.

Swerve over.

Back to the topic - I totally agree with what you're saying here... no reason to mix the line of cabs he has now with something else.  Better to make a wholesale change in one fell swoop if you really feel inclined to make a change.

I got to test those 418s and they sound so good and clean!! And to make the change more appealing, another pair of those came up in my area for the same price. Really got me into thinking about buying both pairs, along with a pair of JRX115s or JBL PXR-15s that are also on sale around my area.

I almost took them off his hands, but saw another listing for a pair of Peavey SP118s, they're the older model with the gray grill. The box conditions were decent, so I made the 1hr drive. Turns out, none of them worked, so the awesome guy gave them to me for free! Now I'm gonna check them out when I get home from work to see what the issue is, which brings me to my next question, would this boxes handle more power should I need to replace the speakers? In other words, can I upgrade them? Options are:

Repair basket for $125, rated at 600/1200/2400w, range 35Hz~2kHz, sensitivity 96.3dB: https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/718/117666

$215 for whole speaker, rated at 800/1600/3200w, range 25Hz~1kHz, sensitivity 93.7dB https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/717/117174

$368 for whole speaker, rated at 1200/2400/4800w, range 30Hz~500Hz, sensitivity 97.1db. https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/717/116622

Any thoughts?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2018, 01:19:07 PM »

Avoid the JRX.  It's shit.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2018, 03:44:56 PM »

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's that good. I'd go Eon before I went JRX.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Victor Estrada

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2018, 06:44:14 PM »

What about the broken subs? Repair with same parts? Upgrade?

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2018, 06:55:54 PM »

What about the broken subs? Repair with same parts? Upgrade?

Repair with the same (original Peavey) parts if you plan to use them with other SP18 cabs or expect them to have any resale value.  You want them to sound and perform exactly like they were designed.

Trying to 'upgrade' with another type or brand of driver will be a guess, at best.

-Dennis

Matt Greiner

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 01:37:06 AM »

I almost took them off his hands, but saw another listing for a pair of Peavey SP118s, they're the older model with the gray grill. The box conditions were decent, so I made the 1hr drive. Turns out, none of them worked, so the awesome guy gave them to me for free! Now I'm gonna check them out when I get home from work to see what the issue is, which brings me to my next question, would this boxes handle more power should I need to replace the speakers? In other words, can I upgrade them? Options are:

Repair basket for $125, rated at 600/1200/2400w, range 35Hz~2kHz, sensitivity 96.3dB: https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/718/117666

$215 for whole speaker, rated at 800/1600/3200w, range 25Hz~1kHz, sensitivity 93.7dB https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/717/117174

$368 for whole speaker, rated at 1200/2400/4800w, range 30Hz~500Hz, sensitivity 97.1db. https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/717/116622

Any thoughts?

Manufacturers spend millions and millions of dollars on R&D, they've done all the work for you.  Replace damaged/blown speakers with their factory replacements.

I've personally owned the SP218's (2 different versions). the QW218's and the VR218's, all Peavey 2x18 sub cabinets.  They all are dual 18's and all have the Peavey badge, but that's where the similarities stop.  All the cabinets have different dimensions, all have different drivers, and all sound different.  There are more differences, but I hope my point is made.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 01:37:06 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.