ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: FOH upgrade  (Read 3695 times)

jesseweiss

FOH upgrade
« on: June 17, 2018, 11:11:44 AM »

Right now we run 2xMackie SRM550's and a SRM1850 FOH with 2 Yamaha DBR10's as front monitors plus zlx12p for my monitor by my drums. Mixer is Behringer XR18. 4 vocal mics, guitars usually direct plus stage, and kick and 1 overhead on drums (if not using my ekit).

Got the 550's used 3 years ago and one is starting to get flakey in terms of powering on. Can get it fixed, but making me think about upgrading.

I can't afford SRX/KW level,  but I'm wondering what those with experience with a lot of gear think about upgrading to JBL PRX/QSC K series/DXR or DSR level.  So in the $700 range for 10-12 inch boxes.

Would probably move the SRM's to monitor duty if I didn't sell them.

I'm not sure if I'd be replacing the sub. I was thinking about going with 2 subs, maybe 15's.

We are a typical 4 piece rock/pop band. Play bars and community stuff. Our current stuff works decently for bars, but not as well outdoors. Looking for a little more volume as they can start to run out of steam, and more clarity.

Would the upgrade be noticeable enough to be worth the cost?

I can and have listened to different speakers, but no way to test them out with the band.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: FOH upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 11:37:04 AM »

I can't afford SRX/KW level,  but I'm wondering what those with experience with a lot of gear think about upgrading to JBL PRX/QSC K series/DXR or DSR level.  So in the $700 range for 10-12 inch boxes.

Just my two cents - I'd wait until you can afford something at the SRX/KW level.  The cost difference between that and the "lesser" options you mention isn't all that much and it'd really help you get the most of your upgrade.  Since you're really looking for better performance in outdoor venues that's the direction I'd go, and I currently use speakers at the SRX/KW level outdoors with good results.  Hope this helps!

jesseweiss

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 11:42:13 AM »

Just my two cents - I'd wait until you can afford something at the SRX/KW level.  The cost difference between that and the "lesser" options you mention isn't all that much and it'd really help you get the most of your upgrade.  Since you're really looking for better performance in outdoor venues that's the direction I'd go, and I currently use speakers at the SRX/KW level outdoors with good results.  Hope this helps!
I totally appreciate the honesty. It's why I didn't just jump and get something like the new K series which is what I was leaning towards.

Just an aside, one issue with that upper level stuff is it is heavier. While we're capable of lifting stuff, we're also 50 and would prefer not to. Seems like the next level up stuff weigh 50+ lbs compared to 35+ lbs. Does that seem accurate?

jesseweiss

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 11:45:01 AM »

There's so much love for the DSR on this forum and they are priced below the SRX/KW level.

Would that be a good option?

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 11:54:21 AM »

No worries!  I hear you on the size/weight concern too.  I know the QSC products better than JBL, but I think the KW122s are about 50 pounds and the 152s are about 65.  I'd gladly take either given that my current tops are 100 pounds!  Lifting them is no fun, but given that most of my work is outdoors I wouldn't use anything less - and I often run them to limit.  I'm sure you'll get plenty of other input and suggestions from other members though (including the DSR user group), so best of luck with the decision and purchase!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 12:36:26 PM »

DSR112!
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 01:19:14 PM »

DSR112!

Yep. A really great line of speakers..
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,167673.0.html

Edit: Don't get cheap subs. Save until you can afford some boxes with headroom.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 01:24:01 PM by Kemper Watson »

jesseweiss

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 04:03:50 PM »

Yep. A really great line of speakers..
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,167673.0.html

Edit: Don't get cheap subs. Save until you can afford some boxes with headroom.
Define cheap subs?

I was looking at DXS etc... Stuff around $1000. If you define that as cheap, your budget far exceeds mine.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 05:12:51 PM »

My opinion is $1000 sub is entry level pro gear.  Below that you just cant build a quality sub.

The next step up is a big one though.  There is very little difference in the $1200-1500 space.  To get a more capable sub you have to double that.
Define cheap subs?

I was looking at DXS etc... Stuff around $1000. If you define that as cheap, your budget far exceeds mine.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Garris

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 07:44:17 PM »

Right now we run 2xMackie SRM550's and a SRM1850 FOH with 2 Yamaha DBR10's as front monitors plus zlx12p for my monitor by my drums. Mixer is Behringer XR18. 4 vocal mics, guitars usually direct plus stage, and kick and 1 overhead on drums (if not using my ekit).

Got the 550's used 3 years ago and one is starting to get flakey in terms of powering on. Can get it fixed, but making me think about upgrading.

Would probably move the SRM's to monitor duty if I didn't sell them.

I'm not sure if I'd be replacing the sub. I was thinking about going with 2 subs, maybe 15's.

We are a typical 4 piece rock/pop band. Play bars and community stuff. Our current stuff works decently for bars, but not as well outdoors. Looking for a little more volume as they can start to run out of steam, and more clarity.

Would the upgrade be noticeable enough to be worth the cost?

I can and have listened to different speakers, but no way to test them out with the band.

I mixed a show last night on my PRX system - 15" two ways over the xlf 18" subs. I'm almost shocked at how great this system sounds. For the record, I have the same system in the new SRXp line. I like the PRX due to the weight and form factor - much easier to deploy. The PRX works fantastic for any gig of 300 or less. I use mine about 80% of the time, vs the SRX. The SRX sounds a little better and certainly gets louder. They're perfect for the outdoor summer concert series I do - about 1000 in a nice, amphitheater-shaped lawn.

I have the DSR112's as well. I've tried them over my PRX sub's, but I like my JBL 15" tops better. I've also used K12's, Mackie SRM and QSC KW's. I prefer my PRX or SRX over all of those. Sorry to be such a JBL fanboy! YMMV.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 07:44:17 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.