ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Love my DSR's  (Read 8986 times)

Rick Powell

Re: Love my DSR's
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2018, 11:41:37 PM »

It's a great time to be in audio; the products are better than ever.  Why does so much live audio suck?  Not just at the Lounge level but even in the more lofty circles?

Other than the uncontrollable such as venue acoustics, it’s pretty easy to pinpoint all audio issues as either a “gozinta” or “gozoutta” problem. And when all the “gozinta” is of the highest quality, it’s a lot harder to screw it up. :-)

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2018, 12:17:14 AM »

... They also tend to listen with their eyes instead of their ears.

Almost 30 years later and I still mix with my eyes closed. I find it easier to balance the instruments and overall sound without the visual distractions.
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2018, 10:54:23 AM »

Apologies for my late response; yesterday became much more busy than expected.

Comparing the SRX812p vs the DSR112p: to me, the SRX812p sounded a little too bright/harsh and as someone else mentioned, I really didn't need all of the other features/controls that the SRX offered.

When running the DSR112 over an OS, we've done this a few times. The best sounding results were at an outdoor event - lawn chairs in a park scenario. Band was a country/rock cover band that has a female singer. Set-up under a pavilion, raised on a small hill. Used X32 Rack with VENU360 (no major EQ tweaks) and a PLD4.5 on the OS.

Didn't use tilters for that gig (but have since purchased the BT-12 and LOVE them), and had great coverage (excellent clarity/detail/musicality) all the way back to around 250-feet. The park didn't want "concert levels" of sound; I was measuring around 93dB (a-weight) and 98-99dB (c-weight) at about 100-feet back, if memory serves.

Here's a brief video from that show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSP_yzSBAy4

The camera zooms out to reveal the perspective at around 1:15 or so. It was shot on an old iPhone, so audio range isn't great, but it should give an idea of the clarity.

I couldn't be more happy with our DSR112s. They're just so versatile, capable, and easy to use.

Steve Crump

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2018, 11:26:32 AM »

Apologies for my late response; yesterday became much more busy than expected.

Comparing the SRX812p vs the DSR112p: to me, the SRX812p sounded a little too bright/harsh and as someone else mentioned, I really didn't need all of the other features/controls that the SRX offered.

When running the DSR112 over an OS, we've done this a few times. The best sounding results were at an outdoor event - lawn chairs in a park scenario. Band was a country/rock cover band that has a female singer. Set-up under a pavilion, raised on a small hill. Used X32 Rack with VENU360 (no major EQ tweaks) and a PLD4.5 on the OS.

Didn't use tilters for that gig (but have since purchased the BT-12 and LOVE them), and had great coverage (excellent clarity/detail/musicality) all the way back to around 250-feet. The park didn't want "concert levels" of sound; I was measuring around 93dB (a-weight) and 98-99dB (c-weight) at about 100-feet back, if memory serves.

Here's a brief video from that show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSP_yzSBAy4

The camera zooms out to reveal the perspective at around 1:15 or so. It was shot on an old iPhone, so audio range isn't great, but it should give an idea of the clarity.

I couldn't be more happy with our DSR112s. They're just so versatile, capable, and easy to use.

All this is making want a pair of the DSRs. How would you compare the DSR to the Noesis that you own? I know that they are two different "animals", but for practical use in 70% of the SR that you do, what makes you choose one over the other for any particular show. And overall what are the performance differences based on your ear and not specs.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 11:30:28 AM by Steve Crump »

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2018, 01:38:32 PM »

All this is making want a pair of the DSRs. How would you compare the DSR to the Noesis that you own? I know that they are two different "animals", but for practical use in 70% of the SR that you do, what makes you choose one over the other for any particular show. And overall what are the performance differences based on your ear and not specs.

Great question. We basically breakdown our set-ups into a few different rigs:

Rig A = up to 2500 people, outdoors
- JTR Orbit Shifters (total of 2-6 with one PL380 per pair of OS)
- JTR Noesis 3TX (total of 2-4, all run from PLD4.5)

Rig B = small gigs, up to around 400 people (indoors/outdoors)
- JTR Captivator C212Pro (2)
- Yamaha DSR112 (2)

Rig C = Frankenstein... playing around
- JTR Noesis 3TX (2)
- JTR Captivator C212Pro (4-6 total)

I will also add that drummers LOVE it when we give them a C212Pro under a DSR112. They will *always* ask for less low end with this config. :D

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:43:36 PM by Steve Litscher »

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2018, 08:33:59 PM »

Realized I never answered your question... hehe.

To be honest, they don’t compare. The 3TX are so natural sounding, so accurate and precise, and so smooth... and they cover areas 2-3x larger than they should.

The DSRs are great, but have limitations as FOH speakers. They sound fantastic, but if you A/B them with the 3TX, there’s no contest. That said... you could buy at least 5 of the DSR for the cost of a pair of 3TX.

I’ll never give up my 3TX - they are just incredible. But the DSR do an admirable job with smaller shows. It all boils down to using the right tool for the job; each has their place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Crump

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2018, 08:46:54 PM »

Realized I never answered your question... hehe.

To be honest, they don’t compare. The 3TX are so natural sounding, so accurate and precise, and so smooth... and they cover areas 2-3x larger than they should.

The DSRs are great, but have limitations as FOH speakers. They sound fantastic, but if you A/B them with the 3TX, there’s no contest. That said... you could buy at least 5 of the DSR for the cost of a pair of 3TX.

I’ll never give up my 3TX - they are just incredible. But the DSR do an admirable job with smaller shows. It all boils down to using the right tool for the job; each has their place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

John Ferreira

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2018, 11:51:07 PM »

John - I don't  want to speak for Steve but I own both the DSR112's and SRX812's.

I have said here many times that for the money I believe the DSRs are hard to beat even comparing them to the SRX812. In terms of sound quality the 2 IMO are very close indeed and both can be pushed without any degradation of sound quality. So it really comes down to the little things.... ( or maybe not so little - it depends)

The benefit of the SRX812's is that they have a little bit more flexible digital DSP, remote set up, tilt option and 2 side handles ( easier to mount on stands.
The down side is that they are a good few pounds heavier than the DSR's and a lot more expensive. The Yamahas also have a 7 year warranty ( if product is registered on the website0

I do enjoy hearing my SRX rig - SRX812p/SRX815p with SRX818/SRX828 - it is tough to beat but my DSR's with PRX718xlf's is my 'go to' rig for smaller shows.

BTW - I picked up my SRX812's used mint for a great price otherwise I probably would not have purchased them - I got the SRX815's new but I do like using them with the subs outside ... they sound different even with subs doing all the low end work.

edited for correction purpose - Yamaha has 7 year warranty - not JBL.

Thanks Debbie, your info is very much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
John Ferreira

John Ferreira

Love my DSR's
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2018, 12:03:44 AM »

Thanks for the info Steve.

Interesting, if you say the 3TX cover an area 2 to 3X larger than a DSR, I assume you also mean to be quite an upgrade from the SRX812P.

John Ferreira

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2018, 06:57:13 AM »

What style of music and level?  You aren't going to do a paying event with these.  They get plenty loud but the headroom isn't there to go 100ft back at concert levels. 

If it's a lawnchair event you are all set.   I think the DSR's will do 75% of what we did with KW153's. 

If I was to quote a PA on an SL150 for coverage 100' back, I would quote 6 FBT LA210's a side and 12 double 18 subs.
Oldies band at a fireman's carnival. Since we've gotten by with just two U15Ps as tops  in the past I am sure the DSRs will be fine.  This is one of the bands I play in so they'll take whatever I bring and like it.

We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2018, 06:57:13 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.