ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Love my DSR's  (Read 8989 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Love my DSR's
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 10:12:42 PM »

Yep.... I used to own a pair of DXR15's and was able to compare them to my DSR112's. Without subs the DXR's are fantastic and have MUCH more low end than the DSR112's. I realize that this seems unfair comparing a 12"to a 15" but even my DXR10's probably have more low end than my DSR112's......HOWEVER neither the DXR10 nor the DXR15 has the clarity and mid punch of the DSR112 - and used with subs neither sound as good. ... still great speakers though.

I can't imagine how the new DZR's can have more clarity than the DSR's - I think that would be hard to do BUT I am intrigued and would love to hear them.

The complexity of the rear panel on the DZR's is a turn off too.  Pro speakers don't need EQ curves and the low cut switch should be recessed not an easy to bump pushbutton that is hard to make out in the dark. 

I am going to get one more DXR10 and a pair of DXR15's for drum/bass monitor duty.  That completes the yammie rig.  Next I will add two more pairs of DSR112's and use the KW112's for monitor duty with those.  The HPR's will go out with the KW153's as monitors.  I just picked up a bunch of EV QRX to use for monitor duty with the FBT LA210's. 

Very last item on my current want list is a pair of SRX835's I can stack on top of my STX835's to have something between the KW153/KW181x4 and the LA210's on top of 4xSTX828.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jay Marr

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 10:26:32 AM »

I was hesitant to jump on the DSR bandwagon as well, but eventually did (when I found a mint used pair, for low $).
They are really just outstanding tops for the price and footprint.

One good testament was 2 weeks ago when a buddy of mine called in a favor.
He covered 2 gigs for me when I got the flu (we're both singers), so he called in a last minute favor needing sound for his band.  His band are all my buddies, so I was actually excited to do it.  They were all IEMs, so stage noise was minimal (awesome start).
DSR112's with a pair of JBL SRX718s (powered by iTech 6k)...just a crushing small club rig.
It sounded excellent, and they are an amazing band, so it was one of the first times I got to stand out in a crowd and just listen and smile.

And of course - what is the first question everyone asks once they get to hear their band through a nice little PA like this....?   "Hey, what model are those Yamaha speakers??!!...and how much do they cost?"

I'm totally satisfied with the DSRs.  But obviously will follow the news on the DZR line as they start to hit the streets.

(I'm going to credit Debbie for pushing the DSRs enough to make me finally consider them)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 12:36:52 PM »

There's a reason we own 14 of the DSR112s. :D

It's unlikely there's anything better at (or even near) the price point. We've used them over Orbit Shifters (1:1) at and outdoor gig and have had spectacular results. So versatile, great sounding, and need very little EQ. We chose them over the K12, KW152, HDL32a and SRX812p.

John Ferreira

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 03:03:35 PM »

It's unlikely there's anything better at (or even near) the price point. We've used them over Orbit Shifters (1:1) at and outdoor gig and have had spectacular results. So versatile, great sounding, and need very little EQ. We chose them over the K12, KW152, HDL32a and SRX812p.

Steve I ended up buying the SRX812P. What were your impressions of the DSR112s vs the SRX812P?
John Ferreira

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 03:53:17 PM »

Steve I ended up buying the SRX812P. What were your impressions of the DSR112s vs the SRX812P?

John - I don't  want to speak for Steve but I own both the DSR112's and SRX812's.

I have said here many times that for the money I believe the DSRs are hard to beat even comparing them to the SRX812. In terms of sound quality the 2 IMO are very close indeed and both can be pushed without any degradation of sound quality. So it really comes down to the little things.... ( or maybe not so little - it depends)

The benefit of the SRX812's is that they have a little bit more flexible digital DSP, remote set up, tilt option and 2 side handles ( easier to mount on stands.
The down side is that they are a good few pounds heavier than the DSR's and a lot more expensive. The Yamahas also have a 7 year warranty ( if product is registered on the website0

I do enjoy hearing my SRX rig - SRX812p/SRX815p with SRX818/SRX828 - it is tough to beat but my DSR's with PRX718xlf's is my 'go to' rig for smaller shows.

BTW - I picked up my SRX812's used mint for a great price otherwise I probably would not have purchased them - I got the SRX815's new but I do like using them with the subs outside ... they sound different even with subs doing all the low end work.

edited for correction purpose - Yamaha has 7 year warranty - not JBL.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 12:57:05 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 04:18:01 PM »

I think Debbie has both in her inventory.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 04:50:41 PM »

What kind of area were you covering?

I have a gig coming up in a week that I usually cover with a powered Unity rig (one stack per side). I was thinking of taking the Unity subs (which have always been more than enough for this gig) with the DSRs over top so I could get them up and angled down but have been concerned they wouldn't cover 100ft back that I need.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 05:15:27 PM »

No problem covering 100' out with DSRs.  You do need tilters though.  I have the BT-12 adjustable tilters and DuraTruss DT3800 stands.  In outdoor gigs I typically don't have to wind them up more than 9' high to cover 250' back at music in the park events.  I try to keep most of the level where people are dancing but still have clarity out at the back of the audience.
The fly points are a bit odd.  I'm doing a trailer stage in a couple weeks where I hang them off the frame with span-sets.  There's a fair amount of tension on the pull back.  The two front top fly points are nowhere near the CG.  I wish there was a rated fly frame for these.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 05:17:11 PM »

What kind of area were you covering?

I have a gig coming up in a week that I usually cover with a powered Unity rig (one stack per side). I was thinking of taking the Unity subs (which have always been more than enough for this gig) with the DSRs over top so I could get them up and angled down but have been concerned they wouldn't cover 100ft back that I need.

What style of music and level?  You aren't going to do a paying event with these.  They get plenty loud but the headroom isn't there to go 100ft back at concert levels. 

If it's a lawnchair event you are all set.   I think the DSR's will do 75% of what we did with KW153's. 

If I was to quote a PA on an SL150 for coverage 100' back, I would quote 6 FBT LA210's a side and 12 double 18 subs. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Bolt

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 06:35:11 PM »

What style of music and level?  You aren't going to do a paying event with these.  They get plenty loud but the headroom isn't there to go 100ft back at concert levels. 

If it's a lawnchair event you are all set.   I think the DSR's will do 75% of what we did with KW153's. 

If I was to quote a PA on an SL150 for coverage 100' back, I would quote 6 FBT LA210's a side and 12 double 18 subs.

To Scott and others ...

I have done a full (really large with a track around the upper level) gym of senior graduates (all night lock in), a wedding at a very large event hall holding >400 with those huge round tables, and outdoor events where the crowd was between 20 to 200' from the stage with a pair of DSR112 tops over various number of subs depending on the event.  These were the largest areas I could cover with my rig and in all of the above situations, I was tickling the limit lights .... so there wasn't much more to go.

Still, the clarity remained even at a considerable distance from stage.  In the outdoor gig, things were obviously not at concert levels at the back of the crowd ... but it was for a festival/carnival, so the people at the back were there because they didn't want it any louder.

I have compared my system (DSR112's over PRX618XLF) to K12's, KW's, RCF312's, SRX715's, PRX712's, and Mackie thumps.  Only the SRX715 hung with the DSR112's.

I am also interested in the new DZR's, but really, I find that as I get older (I am 52 now), I gig less and less.  I don't feel that I will likely sell my DSR's until I completely retire from live sound (hopefully in around 10-15 years .... or when I am not in good enough shape to lug the gear any longer).

I was an early adopter (even before Debbie ;) ).  I A/B'd them in the store with a bunch of speakers.  To my ear, they simply were unequaled in output and sound quality.

I have heard a speaker I liked better though.  If you have the cash ..... and the muscle to move them, the MEYER UPA1P is a very sweet sounding powered box ;)  If I win the lottery .... man .... I am all over that setup :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 06:35:11 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.