ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Love my DSR's  (Read 8801 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Love my DSR's
« on: June 17, 2018, 03:37:30 AM »

A little late to the party but a quick note to say that none of the praise is undeserved.

QSC KW112's have been the staple of our inventory and worked well.   I truly did not expect the dsr112's to be noticeably better to our clients and attendees,  I was wrong.

Today I put them to the test with a 7 piece band with a big horn section.

First, they are much louder than the KW's, maintain composure at high output and are exceptionally detailed.

The DSR's have amazing detail and sound uncluttered.  I did not have to resort to complex eq cuts to make room for the big band.  The instruments held their places with excellent articulation.

The band was blown away and we received many unsolicited compliments.

I hope we can push our kw's to monitor and break out room duty.  I think they can do the work of the kw153's in many applications.

Another very satisfied user.  Here is a pic, not sure where the guitar player was.  It was a lovely day on the water on NE Ohio.

The band is Abby Normal and The Detroit Lean.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: Love my DSR's
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 09:28:56 AM »

A little late to the party but a quick note to say that none of the praise is undeserved.

QSC KW112's have been the staple of our inventory and worked well.   I truly did not expect the dsr112's to be noticeably better to our clients and attendees,  I was wrong.

First, they are much louder than the KW's, maintain composure at high output and are exceptionally detailed.

The DSR's have amazing detail and sound uncluttered.  I did not have to resort to complex eq cuts to make room for the big band.  The instruments held their places with excellent articulation.

I hope we can push our kw's to monitor and break out room duty.  I think they can do the work of the kw153's in many applications.

Another very satisfied user.  Here is a pic, not sure where the guitar player was.  It was a lovely day on the water on NE Ohio.

Kudos!

There are many DSR users on the forum.  We use the DSR15 cabinets.  They've been great.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 12:39:40 PM »

Welcome to the club ;D
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 12:47:32 PM »

Good to hear Scott......now you know why we have all been so annoyingly passionate  about these speakers.  I am still surprised how good they sound every time I hear mine.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Richard Penrose

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 04:14:22 PM »

I have the DXR15’s and they continue to impress me. I had  another gig at an outdoor amphitheater last night with 350 people. I had a fully miked drum kit, 2x keys, 4x vocals and the bass player used upright bass for the first set and electric for the second set. Everything went through just the DXR15’s with no backline. Normally I would use my QSC KW181 subs as well but the access to the amphitheater was  dry poor and extremely challenging. Most of the band used IEM’s and the drummer and keys used a wedge monitor each. I was quite astonished with the quality of the FOH sound. The drums sounded surprisingly big and punchy and both basses went deep and clear without sounding boomy, muddy or boxy. The keys sounded great and the vocals sounded extremely clear and natural and carried over the band effortlessly.
What I must highlight is the amphitheater’s acoustics were stunning and the band were all seasoned pros who used great sounding instruments. The vocalists were outstanding and highly trained with excellent microphone technique. Also, the mics were all excellent quality with Telefunken M80, Sennehiser E945 and Audio Technica ATM710 vocal mics and the drums had Sennheiser E604’s on rack toms, Audio D6 on floor tom, AKG D40 on snare, and MXL A55 on the kick. The mixer was an A&H QU-PAC.
I had loads of people come up to me and comment on the quality of the FOH sound. Quite a few people couldn’t believe it came from just a single pair of speakers on tripods and they weren’t even fully cranked!

Saying that, I’m really interested to try out Yamaha’s new DZR12’s. According to Yamaha the 12” DZR12 goes noticeably deeper, louder and clearer than the DXR15 and will be a step up from the DSR range! If this turns out to be the case I will be seriously tempted to pick up a pair!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 04:42:37 PM »

I think they can do the work of the kw153's in many applications.

That'd be quite impressive.  Can the 12" DSR equal the low frequency output of the KW153 (or 152)?  More often than not, that's why I use 15" mains and keep the 12" boxes for monitors or other uses. especially on job where I'm not using subs.   

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 04:47:28 PM »

Nice to hear on the DXR..  I use DXR 10's for monitor duty.

I could not hold off on my purchase for the DZR's wish I could I am watching that market.

LSI had a big writeup on the DZR specs,  hopefully that means they will be US stocked soon.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 07:45:10 PM »

That'd be quite impressive.  Can the 12" DSR equal the low frequency output of the KW153 (or 152)?  More often than not, that's why I use 15" mains and keep the 12" boxes for monitors or other uses. especially on job where I'm not using subs.   
The DSR112 does NOT have the lower extension of the DXR15 or the DSR115.
It is meant to use with a sub.
That's probably why the are so awesome; they don't try to do it all.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 07:49:10 PM »

Did a show last night with my PRX mains and DSR112 monitors. The guys in the band were blown away at how great their monitors were. The guitar player seriously wants to buy one now.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 08:37:15 PM »

The DSR112 does NOT have the lower extension of the DXR15 or the DSR115.
It is meant to use with a sub.
That's probably why the are so awesome; they don't try to do it all.

Yep.... I used to own a pair of DXR15's and was able to compare them to my DSR112's. Without subs the DXR's are fantastic and have MUCH more low end than the DSR112's. I realize that this seems unfair comparing a 12"to a 15" but even my DXR10's probably have more low end than my DSR112's......HOWEVER neither the DXR10 nor the DXR15 has the clarity and mid punch of the DSR112 - and used with subs neither sound as good. ... still great speakers though.

I can't imagine how the new DZR's can have more clarity than the DSR's - I think that would be hard to do BUT I am intrigued and would love to hear them.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 08:37:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.