ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What would you do.  (Read 4527 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: What would you do.
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 06:56:31 PM »

Whenever I get a chance to speak to my buddies that were in IT with me for a good portion of my career, nothing they say makes me regret my choice. They envy me the fact that I was able to get out and do my own thing not be quite as much under the thumb of another. Truth be told, I’m thankful for that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You made the right choice, Bob.  :D
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 07:01:22 PM »

You made the right choice, Bob.  :D
Thanks, Tim!

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 07:07:42 PM »

I don't think we are under anyone's thumb anymore than the next guy? At least for me anyway. As a systems provider, operator and freelancer, I really am usually making the calls in terms of system design and audio production. While I am not the " BOSS " per-se in many cases, the chain of command is really non consequential in that, I know my role and I execute my directives, objectives and goals. Another way to tell where you sit is the what if I am not here query. If you were to not show up, would there still be a show? If you can honestly say that your absence would really halt or eliminate further production of the show, you are not a pee-on.

Not that it matters really what we are, like many others in a service industry, it is a team sport. Our best asset is truly an ability to be a team player. We work with the client, the lighting, staging and other production crews, and if we do our part, everything goes smoothly and flawlessly. If nobody can point at you and say you were to blame for a failure, then you did a good job. Every now and then we may be looked at as the " help " but for what I get paid, I could care less. They often forget that as a professional service, we are often compensated rather well.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 07:21:53 PM »

I don't think we are under anyone's thumb anymore than the next guy?...

Hi Luke,

I meant in what my IT jobs changed into.

My current role is a bandleader who provides sound for the band (we have a sound engineer), but it's a small business that has put both my kids through school and provided for me and my wife (she's one of the singers.)

Everybody answers to someone... My clients are my bosses if you want to think of it that way, but I don't mind this cage I live in. I designed it specially for me, so no complaints.

To Scott's original (internal) reaction, I think that not reacting externally was the right thing to do.

Some clients think of us as the hired help, and in many ways I guess we are. But the majority of our clients understand the efforts made on their behalf, and are appreciative of the results. Not a bad way to go through life.

Best regards,
Bob

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 12:45:52 AM »

But the majority of our clients understand the efforts made on their behalf, and are appreciative of the results.

At the end of the day, appreciation for your services is best expressed in the form of negotiable paper.

But, a kind word helps, too.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Scott Helmke

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2018, 08:50:03 AM »

Whenever I get a chance to speak to my buddies that were in IT with me for a good portion of my career, nothing they say makes me regret my choice. They envy me the fact that I was able to get out and do my own thing not be quite as much under the thumb of another. Truth be told, I’m thankful for that as well.

I used to be a software developer, and that was still the employer I ever had. But I burned out because I couldn't really handle spending every day sitting in a chair typing. This business is for people with a little too much energy for desk jobs and too much brains for labor jobs.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2018, 09:57:24 AM »

I used to be a software developer, and that was still the employer I ever had. But I burned out because I couldn't really handle spending every day sitting in a chair typing. This business is for people with a little too much energy for desk jobs and too much brains for labor jobs.

Completely agree, can I Sig that line? :)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Scott Helmke

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2018, 12:35:36 PM »

Completely agree, can I Sig that line? :)

All yours!

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2018, 06:02:13 PM »

At the end of the day, appreciation for your services is best expressed in the form of negotiable paper.

But, a kind word helps, too.
+1

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2018, 08:19:55 PM »

+1

The response has been universal, so glad I bit my tongue.  Being political season they just gave me 2 more bookings today. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2018, 08:19:55 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.