ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What would you do.  (Read 4537 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: What would you do.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 06:26:10 PM »

That is a universal yes so I am glad I did it.

It was not asked in a help, in fact at first I thought he was cleaning veryfying we were going to clean the stage area.  Something I always do.

A little more background.  This band is comprised of attorney's, a sitting judge, a doctor and a prominent businessman.  We started doing sound for them when it was just my partner and I and a couple of old band. 

They are now quite popular on the charity circuit and have been a gateway to the legal aid society and countless charity and private events.  When one of their businesses had their 50th anniversary we were hired to do a nationwide 6 city new brand rollout.

They trust us with their families, images and brand,  truly the ultimate complient.

There had been a few instances of them being rough on crew.

Never before did I feel more put in my place and the hired help.  It was definately about me being butt hurt and I am so glad I didn't react. 

Thanks everyone!÷

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

If the client came off as more of "this is part of your gig" than, say, "hey, can you guys schlep this to the bin? The caterers just left this stuff..." then I can understand your initial reaction. 

That they ponied up a cash gratuity and tasty treats tells me they knew it was not part of your normal duties and appreciated the assistance.

And sometimes you just look at your calendar and say, "yeah, we'll drop that off on our way out" as you do the bank deposit math in your head.  If it's genuinely an issue for your crew, give them a spiff and call it a "relationship cost" for that client.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 06:38:46 PM »

That is a universal yes so I am glad I did it.

It was not asked in a help, in fact at first I thought he was cleaning veryfying we were going to clean the stage area.  Something I always do.

A little more background.  This band is comprised of attorney's, a sitting judge, a doctor and a prominent businessman.  We started doing sound for them when it was just my partner and I and a couple of old band. 

They are now quite popular on the charity circuit and have been a gateway to the legal aid society and countless charity and private events.  When one of their businesses had their 50th anniversary we were hired to do a nationwide 6 city new brand rollout.

They trust us with their families, images and brand,  truly the ultimate complient.

There had been a few instances of them being rough on crew.

Never before did I feel more put in my place and the hired help.  It was definately about me being butt hurt and I am so glad I didn't react. 

Thanks everyone!÷

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I was at an event I don’t even remember if I was working it or why I was there. It was at a church (a big one for this area) and it was for a place called Bridgeport Rescue Mission. The fellow in charge of the mission after it was all over was pitching in and helping out with cleaning up and putting tables and chairs away. I was so impressed that the head guy didn’t think this was below him. This is the kind of attitude that I strive to have.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 08:24:49 PM »

I was at an event I don’t even remember if I was working it or why I was there. It was at a church (a big one for this area) and it was for a place called Bridgeport Rescue Mission. The fellow in charge of the mission after it was all over was pitching in and helping out with cleaning up and putting tables and chairs away. I was so impressed that the head guy didn’t think this was below him. This is the kind of attitude that I strive to have.

There is nothing that is below me.  I have to clean the grease traps at the church and I am humbled to be of service.

Just to be clear.  The treats and gratuities were given long before this request, the genuinely treat us and all the folks that work for them well.  I view long terms relationships as partnerships.  My emotional reaction (and why I discarded it) is we are clearly the paid help. 

I was in the IT business in Cleveland for 20 years.  I run into clients at shows that we are working and it is an interesting reaction.  They don't recognize me, some that do will avert their gaze.  Others will ask me what in the world am I doing and when I explain look at me like I am crazy.

The production arts are very misunderstood. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 08:50:46 PM »

There is nothing that is below me.  I have to clean the grease traps at the church and I am humbled to be of service.

Just to be clear.  The treats and gratuities were given long before this request, the genuinely treat us and all the folks that work for them well.  I view long terms relationships as partnerships.  My emotional reaction (and why I discarded it) is we are clearly the paid help. 

I was in the IT business in Cleveland for 20 years.  I run into clients at shows that we are working and it is an interesting reaction.  They don't recognize me, some that do will avert their gaze.  Others will ask me what in the world am I doing and when I explain look at me like I am crazy.

On the flip side I used to do primarily wedding gigs with a cover band.  It was a crap job for meh money which is part of why I no longer do it.  I did have one gig where one of the guests complemented me on my mix and then bought (and brought) me a nice dram of scotch.  Legit single malt, neat.  So while most of the punters don't get it there's some that do and when they show up it certainly can plus a gig.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 09:33:29 PM »

little did you know, they were likely placing bets on whether you would do it or not. Passed the test you could say!!! You know your the hired help when the client says " why didn't you take out the trash.....". I find it to be different when they ask if you can / will. That gives you an opportunity to say no.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Scott Helmke

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 10:08:34 AM »

It's all about solving problems for the customer.

That being said, it might be amusing to sneak a "trash removal fee" clause into your next show contract. :)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 10:25:16 AM »

Absolutely! My company is about going above and beyond (as I'm sure most/all of the companies on this forum are as well, to varying degrees anyways).

Reminds me, gig earlier this year (great gig, good pay, etc). They popped confetti for their event. Mountains of it. Had some helpers after clean for maybe 10min while we loaded out. Still everywhere. So after loadout my crew and I vacuumed the room until it was 95+% clean. I felt that was above and beyond.

I wasn't going to spend an extra hour making it perfect, the venue's custodial team could get the few last bits when they cleaned. But at least they weren't walking into a "oh my god I hate these people" instead it was. "wow, this place is pretty clean, thanks."

The hard part is when it isn't a good gig and good pay, do you still do the right thing?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 11:20:40 AM »

For the long-term good of the company and clients, doing the right thing is always the thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 11:29:57 AM »

So are most of the service and creative professions.  All they see is the product, and not the hard work and dedication that goes into it.  They're paying you, so they must be better than you. :-\
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 05:48:30 PM »

Whenever I get a chance to speak to my buddies that were in IT with me for a good portion of my career, nothing they say makes me regret my choice. They envy me the fact that I was able to get out and do my own thing not be quite as much under the thumb of another. Truth be told, I’m thankful for that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 05:48:30 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.