ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What would you do.  (Read 4517 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
What would you do.
« on: June 17, 2018, 02:30:48 AM »

Ok,  quick one.  I am still in shock.

One of my best customers,  never questions invoices,  tipped the crew $200 and sent them home with $500 worth of food and booze.

Graduation party and an exclusive private school.  Stage,  pipe and,drape,  16' box and a full size van filled with PA and lights.  Great night.

As they are leaving the caterers had left 8 cans of garbage.  You got it he aaked us to take the trash out. 

I smiled, grabbed our full time warehouse crew chief (rest of crew was from community clege theater arts call list, a wonderful resource BTW) and emptied the trash. 

Still in a bit of shock,  we are the hired help that's for sure.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: What would you do.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 11:16:27 AM »

I can't discern his tone from your post, but I'd have felt a lot better about it if he'd asked you to "help him take out the trash that the caterers left", indicating that he realizes it isn't your job, that the caterers screwed up and that he would also be assisting in this task.  Even under the guise of a favor.  But it sounds more like you were just unfortunate enough to be the last of the worker bitches onsite.  But whatever; if he's your best client, perhaps you can find a way to bring it up in a more casual conversation.  Or invoice him your hourly tech rate for waste removal.  Or just let it go.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 11:19:21 AM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 11:20:35 AM »

I mean, they did get a nice tip and free booze...

Maybe send the caterer a bill for trash removal?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 11:25:37 AM »

Consider it a favor and forget about it. He was stuck and looking for help, you gave him the help, and it's a checkmark in the win column for you. And the crew is no doubt happy.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 11:40:55 AM »

Consider it a favor and forget about it. He was stuck and looking for help, you gave him the help, and it's a checkmark in the win column for you. And the crew is no doubt happy.

I agree.  I've done many "above and beyond" favors like this too and it only helps to strengthen your customer relationship for future work.  In a customer service job such as what most of our work is these things can really go a long ways to harbor goodwill.  Glad it worked out though!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 02:53:00 PM »

Ok,  quick one.  I am still in shock.

One of my best customers,  never questions invoices,  tipped the crew $200 and sent them home with $500 worth of food and booze.

Graduation party and an exclusive private school.  Stage,  pipe and,drape,  16' box and a full size van filled with PA and lights.  Great night.

As they are leaving the caterers had left 8 cans of garbage.  You got it he aaked us to take the trash out. 

I smiled, grabbed our full time warehouse crew chief (rest of crew was from community clege theater arts call list, a wonderful resource BTW) and emptied the trash. 

Still in a bit of shock,  we are the hired help that's for sure.

Your crew came out ahead and you look like a hero to your client.

I think you did the right thing.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 03:10:56 PM »

Definitely a win for you, your company, and your image.
 Clients will hire companies for services and if they will go above and beyond  occasionally,
 with most clients it's a forever remembered Plus in your favor.

"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 04:07:29 PM »

I would do the same, smile and help. It sounds more like a case of the first in, last out and he just needed help picking up someone else's slack. The tip and gratuities certainly helps maintain a positive can do attitude, but wouldn't think twice any other way about it. I will push the shopping cart three blocks and take it upstairs for my best client, not for any other reason than they make part of my world turn round, and I want to be the ONLY thing on their mind when it comes to what they hire me for. Clients hire not so much because you do a great job as much as because they like YOU. It just helps that you also do a great job. There is always another fish that can do the job just as well, so the trick is keeping the clients fishing line on your end of the pond so you are the only one to get hooked on it.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 05:02:37 PM »

That is a universal yes so I am glad I did it.

It was not asked in a help, in fact at first I thought he was cleaning veryfying we were going to clean the stage area.  Something I always do.

A little more background.  This band is comprised of attorney's, a sitting judge, a doctor and a prominent businessman.  We started doing sound for them when it was just my partner and I and a couple of old band. 

They are now quite popular on the charity circuit and have been a gateway to the legal aid society and countless charity and private events.  When one of their businesses had their 50th anniversary we were hired to do a nationwide 6 city new brand rollout.

They trust us with their families, images and brand,  truly the ultimate complient.

There had been a few instances of them being rough on crew.

Never before did I feel more put in my place and the hired help.  It was definately about me being butt hurt and I am so glad I didn't react. 

Thanks everyone!÷

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 05:11:36 PM »

$200 tip / 8 trash cans = $25/can. At $400 value tip....

Not bad. I'll work for that.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 05:11:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.