ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha EAD10 - fun new toy for drums.  (Read 8176 times)

John Chiara

Re: Yamaha EAD10 - fun new toy for drums.
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2018, 08:13:38 PM »

My business partner (he is a drummer) picked up one of those when it first came out. He was super excited, I gave it a fair shot... but it went back the next week  ;)

It was an interesting device and I tried it at a few different venues. On the positive side if there are no good mics or if there is no one to dial things in it is a massive improvement. Personally, I would rather take the extra few minutes and properly mic kit with nice mics. I could never get enough snare out of it (i am aware you can buy an extra snare trigger/mic for the EAD10). I also found many of the settings to sound too processed.

It was an interesting device that does a lot, but personally, I did not find it very useful.
I will be micing the drums as normal, but drastically changing effects during a live show is not practical for me, so a dedicated, and changing drum FX return seems like it might be effective. I'll report. Got a small tour coming up with one band, Moriah Formica from The Voice, a harder rock show.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2018, 08:07:49 PM »

Ironically we were getting a little TOO much snare so we have switched out the brass snare he was using for a wood one... just goes to show it really depends on the  kit you start with and how it is tuned. The same thing we come across all the time when discussing kick drum mics.
We have also moved the ride a bit and everything is well balanced. If the drummer is not prepared to make a few changes to his kit, I can see this not working as well.

For me, it picked up gobs of ride, and I am passionate about getting enough snare (I mean even drummers are surprised by my passion when it comes to snare drums).
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

John Chiara

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2018, 10:15:05 PM »

Ironically the drummer had to move his cowbell and wasn't happy... drummers are so set in their ways....
I need info on setting this up. The paper manual is crap. I by chance hit on trigger settings to adjust necessary parameters..mainly how to get it to work at all! Download page I can reach on iPhone contains a list of USB drives.
Help!!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2018, 10:43:46 PM »

I need info on setting this up. The paper manual is crap. I by chance hit on trigger settings to adjust necessary parameters..mainly how to get it to work at all! Download page I can reach on iPhone contains a list of USB drives.
Help!!

Oh no....I found the manual to be very straightforward John. What can I help you with?... Just the factory presets alone are excellent - just go through each one and choose one scene. Then save it to a user scene and play around with it.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John Chiara

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2018, 10:46:07 PM »

Oh no....I found the manual to be very straightforward John. What can I help you with?... Just the factory presets alone are excellent - just go through each one and choose one scene. Then save it to a user scene and play around with it.

Can't get the trigger to work. I stumbled on a page with a 'rim' setting and  some other things but I can't get back to it. Are you speaking of the paper manual or downloaded manual?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2018, 10:57:28 PM »

Can't get the trigger to work. I stumbled on a page with a 'rim' setting and  some other things but I can't get back to it. Are you speaking of the paper manual or downloaded manual?

I downloaded the manual because the drummer took the paper manual with him. From memory they appeared to be the same but I could be wrong.
I found the trigger to just 'work'. Whichever scene you choose triggers a different sound for the kick, appropriate to the style of kit.
You can change the trigger sound by going into the user scene, hitting the 'trigger' button and navigating around that screen to change the drum type (kick / snare etc) to whatever trigger sound you like. That way you can apply any of the triggered kick, snare or pad sounds to any of the kits (scenes)....I don't have the EAD10 with me so this is from memory.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John Chiara

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2018, 12:49:29 AM »

I downloaded the manual because the drummer took the paper manual with him. From memory they appeared to be the same but I could be wrong.
I found the trigger to just 'work'. Whichever scene you choose triggers a different sound for the kick, appropriate to the style of kit.
You can change the trigger sound by going into the user scene, hitting the 'trigger' button and navigating around that screen to change the drum type (kick / snare etc) to whatever trigger sound you like. That way you can apply any of the triggered kick, snare or pad sounds to any of the kits (scenes)....I don't have the EAD10 with me so this is from memory.
I have no trigger input...and when I found the 'rim' adjustment page I could get it to work.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2018, 11:13:39 AM »

I have no trigger input...and when I found the 'rim' adjustment page I could get it to work.

We used it on 2 different kick drums and didn't get problems but I suppose it depends on the rim shape and design. They provide those foam wedges to help with rims that are concave in shape.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2018, 12:12:22 PM »

I downloaded the manual because the drummer took the paper manual with him.

Wow, a drummer that reads ?
Have you house-broken the Bass Player yet ? ;D
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2018, 01:01:08 PM »

Wow, a drummer that reads ?
Have you house-broken the Bass Player yet ? ;D
Chris.

Better... she married him.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2018, 01:01:08 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 24 queries.