ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bungee Cords for Springy Hoist Ropes  (Read 2919 times)

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
Re: Bungee Cords for Springy Hoist Ropes
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 06:49:59 PM »

Frank do you have any photos of your Trabes tower disassembled?  Are they the lifts from this thread?

Yes, those are the ones. I don't have a picture of them disassembled and I can't take one right now because the stands are up in the Sierra Foothills and I'm down here in Palo Alto. I intend to bring them back down in the next week or two after I use one (up there) to get some pseudo-anechoic measurements on a new speaker project. Here's one in use doing measurement.

--Frank

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 06:54:27 PM »

As primarily a one person operation, I want to stay small so I can handle it...

Thanks Stephen, that all makes sense.  I'm much the same in that I want to stay as small and efficient as possible.  Of course there's only so big you can go before the logistics of the rig mandate a larger crew...and that's the sweet spot I'm trying to find for my system upgrade.

Yes, those are the ones. I don't have a picture of them disassembled and I can't take one right now because the stands are up in the Sierra Foothills and I'm down here in Palo Alto. I intend to bring them back down in the next week or two after I use one (up there) to get some pseudo-anechoic measurements on a new speaker project. Here's one in use doing measurement.

That's quite impressive.  Thanks for sharing!  Do you ever find the SH96s to be a bit much to handle alone?  One of the things I enjoyed most about the Danley Demo in Florida a few weeks ago was being allowed to move a few of the speakers too.  TH118s - no problem.  SM80F - doable but awkward at 215 pounds in a tilt-back design - especially when you hit a bump.  The 185 pound TH118XLs don't scare me, but anything heavier I think I'd want on a material cart or caster board.  How do you handle your SH96s?

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 01:34:21 AM »

Do you ever find the SH96s to be a bit much to handle alone?  One of the things I enjoyed most about the Danley Demo in Florida a few weeks ago was being allowed to move a few of the speakers too.  TH118s - no problem.  SM80F - doable but awkward at 215 pounds in a tilt-back design - especially when you hit a bump.  The 185 pound TH118XLs don't scare me, but anything heavier I think I'd want on a material cart or caster board.  How do you handle your SH96s?

Hi Jeff, I after all found a (not so good) picture of the packed-up Trabes. This is everything for one tower except the ~10 ft long vertical truss, which is in two (different sized) pieces, which, incidentally, can be used individually to make a shorter tower. There are two folded leg assemblies that include the telescoped angle struts, the vertical base section that has the winch attached to it, and the boom with the pullies that goes on top. The black, arrow-shaped object on top of the other stuff is not part of the tower.

As for handling SH96s, yes, they're right at the limit of what I can do. They have the corner wheels, just like the TH118s, but are heavier and shallower, which actually makes them harder to balance. As a long-time hand trucker I'm OK on level ground but ramping them in or out of the van is a real strain without a pusher to help. The hardest part is flipping them from rolling position to operating position within the confines of the legs of the tower. I'm still refining my technique :) And, as with the TH118s, helpers need to be informed not to lose control and slam them down at the end of the trip.

--Frank

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 07:29:26 AM »

There are some 6 feet array lifts.

VMB, Kuzar come to mind.

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 08:02:34 AM »

Last time I did this I hooked two (~2.5 ft. relaxed) bungee cords in series with one end hooked onto the eye on the end of the rope and the other hooked low down on the truss. This keeps the rope taught, in its grooves, and, so long as the lower bungee in within reach from the ground, accessible. The bungees supply sufficient tension to aid in the formation of an orderly initial wind on the winch, too.

My other trick, which I mentioned once before, is not to wind in the rope when putting away the towers. I coil it and secure it with a Velcro tie, just like a mic cord. This saves a lot of time and cranking. For what it's worth.

--Frank

I, too am in a "ceaseless quest to simplify erection" :)

I'd love to see a video of the setup of this rig!
Colorado Springs, CO

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 08:02:34 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.