ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: House gig  (Read 2593 times)

Bob Kidd

House gig
« on: June 13, 2018, 07:17:48 PM »

Have a gig that band will be playing at a residential home. Home owner did not get generator. If using 2 prx subs 618xlf and 2 615s (this bare bones) do you feel home outlet would be enough? Obviously not knowing what else is on circuit doesn't help, but assuming they minimize use of inside power.

Mark Wilkinson

Re: House gig
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 07:24:05 PM »

Have a gig that band will be playing at a residential home. Home owner did not get generator. If using 2 prx subs 618xlf and 2 615s (this bare bones) do you feel home outlet would be enough? Obviously not knowing what else is on circuit doesn't help, but assuming they minimize use of inside power.

No worries. Very light load. Run extension cords from separate outlets if concerned (on different breakers of course).
Gennie super overkill.

Bob Kidd

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 07:49:09 PM »

No worries. Very light load. Run extension cords from separate outlets if concerned (on different breakers of course).
Gennie super overkill.

Thanks!

Rick Scofield

• SF Bay Area
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 09:42:27 PM »

When playing in a residential backyard, I usually ask if the clothes washer will be needed during the event (rarely is) and I ask if I can run extension cords to that outlet. It’s often dedicated, sometimes 20 amp, and even convenient sometimes too.

Art Nadelman

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 08:52:02 AM »

When playing in a residential backyard, I usually ask if the clothes washer will be needed during the event (rarely is) and I ask if I can run extension cords to that outlet. It’s often dedicated, sometimes 20 amp, and even convenient sometimes too.

Great idea!

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 09:16:30 AM »

washer usually is not on GFCI and I would add one for safety because your outside.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 09:38:34 AM »

washer usually is not on GFCI and I would add one for safety because your outside.

No.

GFCI have been required for laundry washers for some time as the circuit is within 6 feet of water.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 11:22:08 AM »

A dryer plug is a great way to get plenty of power. Unless the party is a pool party, the dryer is likely to be unused.

Of course you need a distro with GFCI outlets to use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

John P. Farrell

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 11:44:07 AM »

A dryer plug is a great way to get plenty of power. Unless the party is a pool party, the dryer is likely to be unused.

Rob beat me to it.  When I've done small backyard shows the best power sources I've found have been dryer or range plugs which I run to a small distro.  Far superior than hundreds of feet of extension cords running all over the place (which I won't do).  Also it's a simple and affordable job to install a range plug/california connector in the main electrical panel, especially if its in the basement or garage.  Then there is no interruption of household function or feeder cable running across the kitchen floor.  Have the client look into that option, its still likely less than a genie rental if you only need <50A of power.

JF
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 01:19:43 PM »

Beware all you potential dryer and range receptacle users: Many older houses in the US have 3 wire 30 A and 50 A receptacles that have an ambiguous 3rd hole. Could be a neutral bootlegged off a ground or a ground bootlegged off a neutral. Whatever you want to call it, it's NOT suitable for connecting a conventional 3 pole, 4 wire (L1, L2, N, G) distro.

The NEC allowed these to be used long after the expiration date. I assume the appliance manufacturers' lobby had something to do with it.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 01:45:11 PM »

If you can connect one sub/top to a different breaker than the rest of the gear you should have no issues with power. I've run two 18" subs, tops, DJ gear, & lighting off of one 15 amp circuit many times without issue.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Steve Garris

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 02:05:12 PM »

As others have said, the entire rig can likely be run from one, good GFI circuit. I have that same system and do it all the time, with 5 monitors and backline included.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 04:55:48 PM »

I always recommend people spend $20 and get one of those green power meters.

Selling audio gear has been so mindlessly tied to a pissing contest over implausible wattage numbers.

Even with the best of intentions, it is easy to fear that we will run out of power.  A $20 green power meter will give you some real numbers to work with, for your gear run your way at your volume.

Wes Garland

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 10:26:35 AM »

Even with the best of intentions, it is easy to fear that we will run out of power.  A $20 green power meter will give you some real numbers to work with, for your gear run your way at your volume.

My rule of thumb is to add up all the wattages and divide by 8 to get in the ball park.

I have a similar way to get real numbers as you - I use rackmount power bars with power readout (leftover from day job).  I can run a whole band from one 15A circuit easily, but I have to be careful at night because I like halogen lights.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2018, 10:26:35 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 24 queries.