ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about Show Cue Systems and Dante  (Read 2980 times)

Miguel Dahl

Question about Show Cue Systems and Dante
« on: June 13, 2018, 01:25:32 PM »

Hi!

I'll be doing an outdoor play soon which need 3x stereo inputs for sound effects and backgroud sounds. I'll be using a QL5.

I can do the usual cue FX from an Ipad (analog inputs), and the background sounds (2x stereo) from my laptop, either analog or through dante.

However, I want to up my "play"-game when it comes to how I get the sounds out to the speakers, so I'm looking into if it's possible to do it all through dante with a temporary SCS-license.

Can I do this with SCS? I guess I could just route certain cues out through the Dante Virtual Soundcard? Or does this not work with SCS?

And. The musician doing all the sounds/FX is doing them in 16Bit 44.1. I guess I'll run into some problems if I try to push 16Bit into the QL5. Is it feasable to convert to 24/32Bit, or should I call him and as if he could do it in a higher bitrate than 16. If it's possible t do it all through dante?

jabney (john abney)

Re: Question about Show Cue Systems and Dante
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 03:51:14 PM »

Hi!

I'll be doing an outdoor play soon ...The musician doing all the sounds/FX is doing them in 16Bit 44.1. I guess I'll run into some problems if I try to push 16Bit into the QL5. Is it feasable to convert to 24/32Bit, or should I call him and as if he could do it in a higher bitrate than 16. If it's possible t do it all through dante?

According to the Dante AVA info, "Asynchronous Sample Rate Conversion (AES3 model only)"

That Dante AES3 AVA device is listed at $169 and sells at Full Compass (when it's available) for $129. Only goes at 24 bit, but if the "Asynchronous Sample Rate Conversion" handles both frequency and bit depth, then that should not be a problem.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 04:00:58 PM »

However, I want to up my "play"-game when it comes to how I get the sounds out to the speakers, so I'm looking into if it's possible to do it all through dante with a temporary SCS-license.

Can I do this with SCS? I guess I could just route certain cues out through the Dante Virtual Soundcard? Or does this not work with SCS?

I do not know what the routing capabilities of SCS are, but it is easily done in QLab (which also has short term licenses).

And. The musician doing all the sounds/FX is doing them in 16Bit 44.1. I guess I'll run into some problems if I try to push 16Bit into the QL5. Is it feasable to convert to 24/32Bit, or should I call him and as if he could do it in a higher bitrate than 16. If it's possible t do it all through dante?

There is no issue with running 16bit audio on a 24bit network. Depending on how your computer is set up, just open Dante Controller and patch whatever outputs of Dante Virtual Soundcard you want to the inputs of the QL5 that you want to use. Let the playback software send the audio to the correct outputs. It is not unheard of in QLab to just use Dante to route SFX direct to the loudspeakers, bypassing the console.

You will have to have everything at the same sample rate, AFAIK there is no sample rate conversion on a QL5.

Mac

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 04:04:48 PM »

Hi Miguel, I can't comment on sample rates or Dante itself, but so long as it works the same as any other audio device you'll be able to do this with SCS.  Each audio output can be controlled and mapped individually when setting up your cues.  Just be sure you buy the right license of SCS to fit your needs - the number of output channels and devices vary between licenses.  For what it's worth I have a Professional license and usually use it with an old Edirol firewire interface.  Works perfectly every time, and is a nice option if you don't like QLab or have a Mac to run it on.  The routing options aren't quite as advanced a QLab but will certainly suffice for any basic stage production or musical.  Good luck! 

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 04:15:55 PM »

I do not know what the routing capabilities of SCS are, but it is easily done in QLab (which also has short term licenses).

There is no issue with running 16bit audio on a 24bit network. Depending on how your computer is set up, just open Dante Controller and patch whatever outputs of Dante Virtual Soundcard you want to the inputs of the QL5 that you want to use. Let the playback software send the audio to the correct outputs. It is not unheard of in QLab to just use Dante to route SFX direct to the loudspeakers, bypassing the console.

You will have to have everything at the same sample rate, AFAIK there is no sample rate conversion on a QL5.

Mac

Will I not get a sync/clock problem if I try to run 16Bit audio into the dante network, and the QL5 is set to 24/32Bit? I'm pretty new to this..

I can't remember f the QL is set up for 44.1 or 48, but if this is a mismatch, you're saying that this is where I'll run into a problem?

I remember trying to run some stuff from my comp via Dante a few months ago, and it didn't work..I thought it was the Bit depth, but it could just have been the sample rate?

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 04:18:24 PM »

Hi Miguel, I can't comment on sample rates or Dante itself, but so long as it works the same as any other audio device you'll be able to do this with SCS.  Each audio output can be controlled and mapped individually when setting up your cues.  Just be sure you buy the right license of SCS to fit your needs - the number of output channels and devices vary between licenses.  For what it's worth I have a Professional license and usually use it with an old Edirol firewire interface.  Works perfectly every time, and is a nice option if you don't like QLab or have a Mac to run it on.  The routing options aren't quite as advanced a QLab but will certainly suffice for any basic stage production or musical.  Good luck!

Thanks for the tip about output ports and licenses! I'll look into that. I don't have a mac and have always been using a PC, so that's my prefered platform.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 04:20:23 PM »

Will I not get a sync/clock problem if I try to run 16Bit audio into the dante network, and the QL5 is set to 24/32Bit? I'm pretty new to this..

I can't remember f the QL is set up for 44.1 or 48, but if this is a mismatch, you're saying that this is where I'll run into a problem?

Yes. 16 bit or 24 bit won't matter, but the sample rate has to match if there is not sample rate conversion available. I do not think the QL has SRC, so the system clock has to match the file sample rate.

Mac

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 04:27:09 PM »

Yes. 16 bit or 24 bit won't matter, but the sample rate has to match if there is not sample rate conversion available. I do not think the QL has SRC, so the system clock has to match the file sample rate.

Mac

Great! Thanks. Thanks to google I found out that the QL5 can do 44.1 or 48. So I guess I'm good.

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 09:08:09 AM »

Great! Thanks. Thanks to google I found out that the QL5 can do 44.1 or 48. So I guess I'm good.

This worked like a charm! Thanks for the help. Boy was it way easier to get 8 channels of dante and route independent channels in the SCS to different dante streams and route those from the board to the correct speakers than just using L/R from a soundcard.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 10:24:58 AM »

This worked like a charm! Thanks for the help. Boy was it way easier to get 8 channels of dante and route independent channels in the SCS to different dante streams and route those from the board to the correct speakers than just using L/R from a soundcard.

👍

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 10:24:58 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.