ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bob Leonard Laboratories has done it yet again!  (Read 1733 times)

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
Bob Leonard Laboratories has done it yet again!
« on: June 12, 2018, 10:29:59 PM »

Bob told me he was making unfinished guitar speaker cabinets.  I know how insanely detail oriented he is , so it didn't take me long to say, w-t-hey, make me a 1 x 12 extension and a 2 x 10 combo cabinet for my bandmaster head.  Oh, and no knots, I'm staining them.

So a little while later they showed up.  The longest wait was for me to actually get around to staining them (I still haven't done the combo) , but one is done, and here it is!!

Complete with a Kendrick Black Frame I've been intending to use for years.

It's -Almost- too nice to use.  -Almost-

I'm going to turn it up to eleven tomorrow!

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Re: Bob Leonard Laboratories has done it yet again!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 07:07:04 AM »

Damn!  Nice!

Looks like wood furniture.

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 04:29:43 PM »

Bob told me he was making unfinished guitar speaker cabinets.  I know how insanely detail oriented he is , so it didn't take me long to say, w-t-hey, make me a 1 x 12 extension and a 2 x 10 combo cabinet for my bandmaster head.  Oh, and no knots, I'm staining them.

So a little while later they showed up.  The longest wait was for me to actually get around to staining them (I still haven't done the combo) , but one is done, and here it is!!

Man...that looks awesome. I'd be afraid to leave the house with it in anything other than the best flight case known to mankind.

Love the dovetails.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 04:36:08 PM »

Really good, classy job Bob... makes a change to see something so nicely made. I'm considering asking you to make me one just so that I can stand and look t it.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 07:12:38 PM »

Wow! Kinda like an old Mesa Boogie but with finger joints and fine finishing. Spectacular!  Did it come with the Fender badge?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 09:52:38 PM »

I built a pair of cabinets for Steve. He wanted a clear grade of wood so the choice was poplar. All of the routing finger joints and brace routing was done in my basement shop. The cabinet was glued, clamped and allowed to dry for a day, then all of the corners and detail was routed and the cabinet sanded. All of the hardware, corners, handle, feet, etc. where attached. The baffle board was  cut from 3/4" birch plywood, opening routed, face painted black, grill cloth and badge applied, and blind screws inserted. Back panels are 1/4" clear poplar.

Steve once sent me an amp in a head style cabinet he had made. The finish was outstanding. Steve had his own idea of what he wanted for a finish and while conversing with me via email I gained great respect for his abilities. He finished the cabinet(s), and I don't think I've seen a better job done by anyone.

Steve has given us a shining example of what a class cabinet should look like when properly finished.

My cabinets are usually built using #2 pine, knots and all, just like Leo Fender used in the day and priced accordingly unless specified otherwise. They're also available with or without hardware of your choice and built one at a time.

My wish is that Steve will finish the combo cabinet and post that. It's a combo I've never seen anywhere and I'm sure it's going to kick some serious ass. We'll wait for Steve's unveiling.

Thanks for posting the pictures Steve. You're making me look good through your hard work.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 08:15:58 AM »

Thanks for posting the pictures Steve. You're making me look good through your hard work.

It wouldn't look half as good if the "foundation" wasn't stellar.
Bob, your work is outstanding.
It is quite clear the passion you have for your work.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »

Thank you Chris.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 21 queries.