ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: New LED lighting system for small amateur theatre  (Read 7266 times)

John Fruits

Re: New LED lighting system for small amateur theatre
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 03:56:34 PM »

Hey Rob, one little detail that might help you some, instead of fixtures with the standard C-clamp, you could raise the fixtures up a few inches by using (properly sized) truss clamps(Cheeseborough, half-couplers, whatever).  These types of clamps are designed for a certain diameter pipe or tube.  Since I am from the US I am used to imperial rather than metric dimensions, but I can't tell the diameter of your battens.  The usual size here is 1.5" Schedule 40 pipe with an OD of 1.9" and truss chords with an OD of 2.0", sometimes 1.25" Schedule 40 is used with an OD of 1.66".  By guessing, the pipe in your picture may be even smaller.  One other detail, some yoke style fixtures only have one height position (like the PAR cans in your photo), some fixtures like ERS's and Fresnels sometimes several hanging heights available (extra holes in the yoke). That can also save a few inches when used in low ceiling situations.  You do have to be careful of getting hot fixtures near the ceiling tho. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2018, 10:36:56 PM »

Half-couplers are also called "O" clamps. Don't buy the plastic/nylon ones; the Global Truss brand "mini" clamp (rated at 100 kg) are good enough for light-weight fixtures, and are pretty cheap in quantities. (Look for 10-packs.)
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Rob Enders

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2018, 07:27:07 PM »

Hey Rob, one little detail that might help you some, instead of fixtures with the standard C-clamp, you could raise the fixtures up a few inches by using (properly sized) truss clamps(Cheeseborough, half-couplers, whatever).  These types of clamps are designed for a certain diameter pipe or tube.  Since I am from the US I am used to imperial rather than metric dimensions, but I can't tell the diameter of your battens.  The usual size here is 1.5" Schedule 40 pipe with an OD of 1.9" and truss chords with an OD of 2.0", sometimes 1.25" Schedule 40 is used with an OD of 1.66".  By guessing, the pipe in your picture may be even smaller.  One other detail, some yoke style fixtures only have one height position (like the PAR cans in your photo), some fixtures like ERS's and Fresnels sometimes several hanging heights available (extra holes in the yoke). That can also save a few inches when used in low ceiling situations.  You do have to be careful of getting hot fixtures near the ceiling tho.
Great idea, thank you.

Rob Enders

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2018, 07:39:22 PM »

For a small local stage, I set up a few Colorado Solo1 RGBWs.
What I like about them is the zoomability, and thier homogenized beam. 
I added masks in the gel frames to shape the wide beam stage wash, but when zoomed down, it misses the mask and becomes a soft edge spot.
PM me for Chauvet pricing.
Thanks for the input..

The specs indicate that the Solo 1 has only 97 lux at 40deg vs the Quad 1 Zoom has 324 lux at 32deg. I am concerned that the Solo won't have enough brightness when wide.
Have you used the Quad 1 Zoom, if so how does it compare in real life?

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Rob

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2018, 01:21:20 AM »

Thanks for the input..

The specs indicate that the Solo 1 has only 97 lux at 40deg vs the Quad 1 Zoom has 324 lux at 32deg. I am concerned that the Solo won't have enough brightness when wide.

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Rob

Brightness measurements have to be qualified with a zoom angle and "what color" is being measured. Is it all channels on making an ugly blue-white? Is it a pleasing neutral white? Is it all red or green?

I know on my Fuze washes the blue channel is only at about 15 percent in my "warm white" setting. So what does that do to the brightness rating when 1/4 of my total lighting is nearly turned off?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2018, 11:39:16 PM »

Thanks for the input..

Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Rob

The difference between 32 degrees and 40 is huge from an output standpoint.
The Solo 2 and Solo 3 have wore output for more money.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2018, 11:39:16 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.