ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas M32 with stage box AND M32C  (Read 7584 times)

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
Re: Midas M32 with stage box AND M32C
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 12:16:27 PM »

I would also add that if you are using the Core as a monitor mixer, I would recommend getting an X32 Rack instead for the additional I/O, particularly outputs if you are on IEMs.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 12:27:01 PM »

Every time I contemplate using a X/M32 core with a stagebox, I keep coming back to
"isn't the X32 rack a better option?"

X32 cores are no longer available, and M32C at $650 seems like a bad buy vs the rack for only a couple hundred more. 
Other than gaining 2 rack spaces, why go with the Midas Core, even if all you are using is the stagebox?

I see David just beat me to it....:)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:34:42 PM by Mark Wilkinson »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »

Confusing as it is, other than the M32 and X32 the X and M series have different model numbers for their "similar" products.

M32R and X32 Producer or X32 Compact (both have 16 faders)
M32C and X32 Core (1u devices with very different controls)

There is no "M" version of the X32 Rack.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:38:16 PM by Andrew Broughton »
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Rick Powell

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 05:38:56 PM »

Every time I contemplate using a X/M32 core with a stagebox, I keep coming back to
"isn't the X32 rack a better option?"

X32 cores are no longer available, and M32C at $650 seems like a bad buy vs the rack for only a couple hundred more. 
Other than gaining 2 rack spaces, why go with the Midas Core, even if all you are using is the stagebox?

I see David just beat me to it....:)

We use a M32R with a DL32 stagebox, and are thinking about getting an X32 Rack to mount with the stagebox. To tell the truth, the M32R console is nice (and we will keep it), but not having to reel out the CAT5 snake and take the mixer out the case will probably save us 15 minutes on either end, and good enough for most shows we do. The X32 rack controls would give us a way to recover if we lose wifi, plus the M32R in the trailer if al else fails, but most people using this combo who I know like it, and can't recall any recent horror stories.

John Schalk

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 08:23:43 PM »

I am Patrick's BE.  We did a show last weekend where the first act arrived with an X32 Rack, their own mics, stands, cables and what not and just gave us LR (our PA.)  Their soundguy mixed from an iPad.  The band was on Ears, so they were entirely self contained.  I built a quad box during their second set.

We did a festival stage last year where we were the middle act and there wasn't time to load our preset into their CL5 (Jury's Out is all on Ears, run from FOH), so we had to use wedges.  Nobody died and things were fine, but the band last week showed us an alternative to carrying a monitor split for when we are not using our own system.  Since we have our own mics and we are on ears, the fact is we don't need anything from the PA provider other than their stacks and racks.  Having an M32 Core racked with our DL32 would be one way to show up, setup and have everything be the same for my musicians. 

I can see the advantage of an X32 Rack for when we are providing PA to multiple acts, but the band prefers the sound of the M32's preamps.  Also, to use our M32 for FOH and an X32 Rack for monitors, wouldn't we need an analog split?  Neither of these situations comes up that often so Patrick and I are chasing wants, not needs :)

We also do a handful shows a year where having the M32 out front is not a good option, so instead of unloading it and putting it side stage, we could just bring in the head amp rack with the M32 core.  That situation would probably come up more often than the original use case.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 09:38:57 PM »

You don't need a split. One mixer will have head amp control, you pick which one, and the other will have digital trim.

The reason I suggest an X32 Rack over the Core is the extra inputs and outputs. You don't really gain any functionality, just the additional I/O. Since you are using the Midas stage box, you will have the preamps you want either way, unless you tap into the inputs on the Rack.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 11:29:51 PM »

Since you are using the Midas stage box, you will have the preamps you want either way, unless you tap into the inputs on the Rack.

Exactly. With an X32 Rack you would still be using the Midas preamps in your DL32, but you'd have front panel control and additional I/O if you ever needed or wanted it. The aux ins and outs could be useful, and it wouldn't hurt to have the XLR ins and outs if something ever happened to your DL32. Just the front panel control would be enough to justify it for me.

I regularly use 2 X32 Racks as a monitor mixer and use all 28 available outputs. 16 mixes on the XLR outs, 6 FOH lines (L, R, Sub and 3 delays) and 6 monitor or other outputs from FOH on the 1/4" outputs. It's nice having the extra functionality over a core.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Patrick Campbell

• Jury's Out Rock Band
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 08:22:36 AM »

Thanks Everyone for all the information.

I guess we are the point where we are REALLY fine tuning what we do.

We are looking around saying to ourselves, "What can we acquire to make life even easier each week".

Since we are a regional touring act and I only do about 4-6 sound jobs a year with my band playing in the show.

Have a safe summer everyone !

Patrick
www.jurysout.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 08:22:36 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.